An awareness game on landmines

landmineteam

Jul 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/15/99
We are a team of rovers from Geneva, Switzerland, and we
felt very concerned by the sufferings of the victims of
landmines worldwide, especially when children are injured or
killed.

So we asked ourselves what could we do as scouts toward this
problematic. It is not an easy issue because landmines are
weapons, and weapons are always controversial.

We decided to take the problem on the other side: victim's
point of view. We have set up a roleplay, in which scouts
from 8 to 20 could try and live as victims of landmines. It
allows them to understand the difficulty of living with a
handicap. I am convinced, that in ten years from now, no
more landmine will be laid. But still, a lot of victims will
be living with the marks of these weapons. Participants of
the game will never forget them.

This "game" was played in Geneva in front of about 800 cubs
and scouts, and also at the last Jamboree in Chile in front
of 1000 scouts. Since then, it has been reproduced in France
and Belgium.We have produced a documentation that explains
how to set up this game. It is only a guideline, and it
could require some adaptation.

If you are interested in this game, a full documentation
(french/english/spanish) is available (free) on our web
site:
http://lbdsun.epfl.ch/~coco/main.htm

The world office of the scout movement is also distibuting a
more complete package on our game:
http://www.worldscoutshop.org/minesen.html

Regards,
Greg.

"We wouldn't dare showing you an injury made by a landmine,
so fancy how it is to live with that" (ICRC campaign on
Landmines)

**** Posted from RemarQ - http://www.remarq.com - Discussions Start Here (tm) ****