List announcement; Ugandalist, a discussion list on Uganda Affairs.

Henry K. Ntale

Sep 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/27/99
Ladies and Gentlemen,

It is my pleasure to announce another stride in our growing cyber-family!!

Shalom Uganda!

Tony Ekodeu
A N N O U N C E M E N T - THE UGANDALIST

Welcome to UgandaList, a new discussion list whose main objective is the
topical discussion and analysis of issues relevant to Uganda. There are very
many topics that fall under this category and all are welcome. This new list
is open to all people who are interested in the affairs of Uganda.

Some of you are probably familiar with the Ugandanet list based in Kampala.
UgandaList is not in competition with that noble venture (Ugandanet) which
has been run by selfless individuals for almost a decade now. Rather, this
new list should be viewed as a complementary alternative. It has been
specifically designed to enhance flexibility and agility while promoting
members’ own freedom to control the direction and form of their list. Such
robust list properties as these come in handy for today’s individuals with
fast paced lifestyles who need fast and easy access to the information they
need.

Matters relating to subscription and a host of other features are totally
under your control, just a button away. Unless the membership decides
otherwise, the list archives shall be accessible to list members on the
Internet. Therefore you no longer need to clutter up your precious hard disk
space with messages that are of little or no interest to you. From time to
time, the membership of the list will be called upon to decide on how the
list should be run. A standing committee shall be created to ensure the
smooth operation of the list. Tony Ekodeu assisted by Assumpta Kintu will
oversee the administration of UgandaList.

HOW TO SUBSCRIBE:

You can do ONE of the following:

(a) Send a blank message to ugalist-...@listbot.com
(b) If you have access to the Internet, visit http://ugalist.listbot.com and
subscribe by filling in your e-mail address in the box provided on that
page. Follow the instructions given there and you are done.

You will then be sent a verification request, TO WHICH YOU MUST REPLY IN
ORDER TO COMPLETE THE SUBSCRIPTION PROCESS. It is as simple as that.

HOW TO UNSUBSCRIBE:

You can unsubscribe in two ways: via e-mail or by the Internet.

(a) By e-mail - Send a blank message to ugalist-u...@listbot.com.
(b) Via the Internet - Go to the list’s web page at
http://ugalist.listbot.com/. Type in your e-mail address and choose
"unsubscribe".

A verification e-mail message will then automatically be sent to you.
Respond to it with a blank message and you are done. Again, it is as simple
as that.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ’s)

1. Why do I need a password on UgandaList?

ListBot allows you to manage your membership and your UgandaList membership
properties. Your password allows you to have exclusive control over your
account. When you log on to your account, you can:

(a) View the archives for the list you are subscribed to (if the list owner
has made them available). So far we have made the UgandaList archives
accessible only to list members until further notice.
(b) Change your e-mail address.
(c) Unsubscribe from lists.

2. What will it cost me to join UgandaList?

Despite the host of features provided by the new list, it is COMPLETELY FREE
of charge. It is provided courtesy of LinkExchange, a subsidiary of
Microsoft Corp. LinkExchange handles vast, mission-critical
internet/intranet solutions. You can therefore rely on them for unsurpassed
excellence of service.

3. How do I send messages to UgandaList?

Send your message to the e-mail address uga...@listbot.com. (You must be a
list member to do this.)

4. How can I view the archives of UgandaList?

List archives contain all messages that have been posted to the list.
Presently, only list members can view these archives. To view the archives,
go to the UgandaList home page, at http://ugalist.listbot.com (still under
construction). You can also view archives of the lists you are subscribed to
when you are logged on to your List Member Control Center. Simply click on
ViewArchives. Keep in mind that not all list owners choose to make their
archives available, so you may not be able to view the archives of every
list.

5. How do I contact the list owner of UgandaList?

ListBot cannot give out information regarding the e-mail addresses of list
owners. However, if you wish to write to the list owner of UgandaList, you
can write to ugalis...@listbot.com. Your mail will be forwarded to the
list owner.

6. I can’t recall my password.

You can have your password e-mailed to you. From the UgandaList home page,
follow the prompt under “list member login”.

7. What will my personal information be used for?

When they join the list, members may be asked several questions that might
be useful to the list owner. The list owner has full choice over which
questions to ask, if any. ALL QUESTIONS ARE OPTIONAL (other than your e-mail
address and password, of course). ListBot will use the information only for
selecting the advertisements included in ListBot free messages. ListBot will
not use the information for any other purpose. The list owner is also free
to view the information.

8. How can I view the e-mail addresses of other UgandaList members?

Members can only view the addresses of other members if the list owner has
set this as an option. If this has been done, you can view the addresses by
following the prompts on the list home page