removing Blue Gene support?

Jeff Hammond

Aug 9, 2018, 12:03:42 PM8/9/18
to hpctools
Is anyone still using GA on Blue Gene/L or Blue Gene/P systems?  It seems extremely unlikely given that every one of these that I knew about is no longer operating.

Assuming no objections, I would like to remove the code associated with these platforms.  The original developers of this code are no longer at IBM and I was the maintainer when I was at Argonne but have not worked on Blue Gene systems for many years.

If you are still using Blue Gene/P, ARMCI with MPI-TS or ARMCI-MPI (MPI-2 version) are your best options and were what ALCF recommended to users when I worked there.  These were not as fast as the native (DCMF) port but were more stable.

This change has no impact on Blue Gene/Q.  There was never a native Blue Gene/Q port because ARMCI with MPI-PR and MPI-TS as well as ARMCI-MPI worked well enough.