The present Nuggehalli in Channarayapatna taluk of Hassan district is a
home to two elegant temples dedicated to Lord Vishnu and Shiva,
belonging to the Hoysala period. This place has a historical past
dating back to the early 1246 AD, during which, Hoysala King Someshwara
ruled the region.
Present day Nuggehalli was earlier known as Vijaya Somanathapura, an
agrahara founded by Bommanna Donnayaka in the year 1246 AD. He served
under King Someshwara. Nuggehalli chieftains belonged to the Pudur
Vamsha (dynasty) and one of their titles meant that the chief was
"Champion over thirteen kings."
Their genealogy dates back to Thirumalya, the son-in-law of Prauhda
Devaraya of Vijayanagara. Further, it is an ancient place near which a
Chola king is said to have built Jayagondeshwara temple to which King
Vishnuvardhan gave some grants in the year 1121 AD.
Inscriptions
The inscriptions found in the temples of Nuggehalli attribute the time
and construction of the temples of Lakshmi Narasimha and Sadashiva as
1246 AD and 1249 AD respectively and to Bommanna Dannayaka during the
reign of King Someshwara. The two temples are of very different type,
but are of equal importance from the point of view of architecture.
Both the temples are well preserved.
Sadashiva Temple
This temple is an Ekakuta type, with a highly remarkable stellate
mulaprasada having a completely original super structure. It is the
most beautiful Hoysala nagara temple that survives today. It conforms
to the nagara style architecturally with the presence of nagara and the
absence of harantara recesses.
The whole temple stands on a platform, which is in conformity with the
outline of the temple including the mulaprasada. A careful observation
reveals that the tower above the mulaprasada is a little out of
proportion.
A bhumija element of architecture is reflected in the tower and the
original temple consisted of a garbagriha, a sukanasi, navaranga with
porches and a Nandi mantapa. There is also a big hall with a shrine for
the goddess, another hall on a lower level and a lofty mahadwara that
exists today, were added to this original structure.
Lakshmi Narasimha
This ornate Trikuta temple with its exquisite carvings, giant wall -
shrines, friezes, an embellished tower and a sukanasi - all standing on
a platform, are bewitching to one's eye. The central vimana only has
the original tower while the other towers on the lateral vimanas are
the latter additions made to the existing roof. The steps originally
provided to the platform in the eastern section, is now enclosed by
latter extensions of the frontal portion. Thus, it has lost its
functional unity with the temple.
Three walled-shrines in the surrounding walls of the central vimana add
to its splendour, enhancing the overall beauty of the temple. A cornice
divides the outer walls horizontally. The lower portion is embellished
with around 120 large wall images depicting anecdotes from popular
epics of Mahabharata and other puranas.
These wall - images are mainly the work of the then popular sculptors
Mallithamma and Baichoja. This fact is supported by the attestation
borne by these images. Vishnu as Vamana, Varaha, and Arjuna shooting
the fish, are a few images, among many, are outstanding examples of
fine sculpting by these master sculptors. On friezes, apart from the
usual makaras, hansas, elephants, we find stories associated with Lord
Krishna. The central garbagriha with an antharala enshrines cult-image
of Keshava. In the northern and southern shrines (both without the
antharala), we find cult-images of Sri Lakshmi Narasimha and Venugopala
respectively.
Nuggehalli is not only a pilgrimage spot, but also a school of temple
architecture. These temples are open to devotees on all the days and
the daily pooja and special poojas are performed in this temple.
Nuggehalli is situated at the mid-point on the Tiptur-Channarayapatna
state highway, the distance between them being around 60 kms. As both
Channarayapatna and Tiptur are situated on the National highway, they
are well connected to Bangalore city.