Potential resources for potential archives students

Scott Ziegler

Aug 19, 2010, 9:18:15 AM8/19/10
to howl-up
I would like to hear about more ways those of us already in the field
of archives (to whatever extent we are in the field) could assist
students who are thinking of taking up archives. Certainly mentoring
programs at the college and university level are great, but there are
probably a lot of students in less populated areas and in online
courses that are not near many potential mentors.

I wonder if it would be feasible to have a website devoted to allowing
students, potential students and new archivists to ask questions and
advice. The model I have in mind is something similar to Ask
Philosophers (http://www.askphilosophers.org/). Issues concerning
education, continuing education, ethics, job outlook, etc. can be
answered by wide variety of archivists from different sub fields (e.g.
from manuscript repositories, institutional archives, corporate
archives).

Laurie

Aug 23, 2010, 2:21:44 PM8/23/10
to howl-up
I think this is a really cool idea. I think it could be very helpful
and provide a variety of viewpoints on important issues. Although many
schools do offer mentoring type programs, being a student and working,
generally one does not have the available to take advantage of such
programs. A website would be more accessible and gotta love access.

What would need to happen to get this started?