Avoiding mixed content warnings with Howcast videos on pages that are served with https

Sarthak

Nov 23, 2010, 5:56:35 PM11/23/10
to Howcast API
Hi,

In my webpage, I am loading this howcast video. If the page that
serves this video is served over https, then i get a mixed-content
warning in IE..

I changed
http://www.howcast.com/flash/howcast_player.swf?file=396648&theme=black

https://www.howcast.com/flash/howcast_player.swf?file=396648&theme=black

But in the next link, the resources are not downloaded. What should I
do to serve howcast videos over SSL?

russ_howcast

Nov 23, 2010, 6:23:30 PM11/23/10
to Howcast API
Hi Sarthak,

Unfortunately we don't support video playback over https (nor do other
sites such as YouTube). Although it's not ideal from a UX standpoint,
linking to the video or popping it up in another window is your best
option to avoid the warning.

It looks like some people have worked around this by dynamically
rendering the embed code via swfobject. See
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2388327/internet-explorer-warning-when-embedding-youtube-on-https-site.

Sorry we don't have a better solution for you right now.

Best regards,
- Russ

On Nov 23, 2:56 pm, Sarthak <sarthak...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In my webpage, I am loading this howcast video. If the page that
> serves this video is served over https, then i get a mixed-content
> warning in IE..
>
> I changedhttp://www.howcast.com/flash/howcast_player.swf?file=396648&theme=black
>
> Tohttps://www.howcast.com/flash/howcast_player.swf?file=396648&theme=black

Sarthak

Nov 24, 2010, 1:56:12 PM11/24/10
to Howcast API
Hi Russ,
Thanks for the reply, I will take a look at your suggestion.