HEAL

Owen

Jul 11, 2019, 6:21:09 AM7/11/19
to HEAL
Dear HEAL members, Interested and affected parties

it is with regret that i write to you to inform that HEAL is considering shutting down operations from the end of July, 2019.
Dynamics in the valley has changed, there is more fences which has impacted on the paths animals use and the ability of poachers to set snares. There is more entities operating independently and thus do not require the services of a HEAL ranger, therefore HEAL has not been able to generate more members and funding which inhibits the operational capacity of the organisation. For example, since the HEAL bicycle was stolen we had not been able to afford purchasing a suitable replacement mountain bike. In addition, as chairperson of the organisation i have been jpre-occupied with other matters and had not been able to provide the dynamic leadership required.

The areas and properties where HEAL Ranger Lazarus frequently patrols has been effectivly 'closed' to poachers and few snares has been removed during the past six months. There are still areas where snaring remains a problem, such as in the vicinity of the Elandshoogte mine where illegal miners operate and set snares - even though the mining company is not a HEAL member the area is occasionally patrolled and snares get removed, but the problem will persist as long as the illegal miners stay in the area.

HEAL Ranger Lazarus Lekoane is now eligible for pension, and we will assist him in this process. I will also recommend that land owners in the area contact Lazarus independently if his services are needed, such as when you suspect that snares had been set in your area or if your animals go missing and is feared snared. Lazarus has developed an excellent ability to identify signs of snaring paths and his valuable expertise should still be harnessed when needed. Call Lazarus directly @ 0796668563

We will host a meeting on Wednesday 24 July, 4pm at the Owen Farmhouse to discuss the closure of HEAL and related issues.

I wish to thank all HEAL members whose financial contributions had carried this organisation since its formation in 2001. Tens of thousands of cruel wire cable snares had been removed and animal numbers had bounced back. However, industrial developments and security fencing has changed the valley, and at the moment, it can be said that the spread of alien invasive plants presents a more substantial threat to indigenous biodiversity and ultimately (free roaming) wildlife numbers.

Please contact me if you have any queries, comments or advice.

Thanks and Regards
Philip Owen
HEAL
0833868907

Annalize

Jul 11, 2019, 6:49:50 AM7/11/19
to houtb...@googlegroups.com

Phillip

Thank you to you and Lazarus for all you've done so silently.

May God be with you and Lazarus have a peaceful rest as a pensioner

Regards

Annalize

Falls Fish Farm

Jul 12, 2019, 4:17:41 AM7/12/19
to houtb...@googlegroups.com
Dear Philip

Thank you so very much for all HEAL has done here on our farm and in our valleys.  An amazing initiative with substantial results!  And thank you for this informative email describing the situation in the valley.

I do hope that snaring does not flare up again in the absence of the HEAL rangers but you have, indeed, done a lot to train our own staff in the detection of snares and we will certainly carry on this work of course.

All the very best to you in your work protecting our environment going forward.  I will personally thank Lazarus as he is based on our farm this week.

Kind regards

Dee @ Falls Fish Farm
013 733-4179 / 079 885 3509
www.fallsfishfarm.co.za

Leigh Voigt

Jul 12, 2019, 7:05:07 AM7/12/19
to houtb...@googlegroups.com

Dear Philip,

On behalf of BARR Estates, I would like to say how sad I am that the work of many people has now come to its natural conclusion. With the passing of Wilf Nussey, and Tony and Eve Hall, the main driving forces behind the initial operation, it is not fair to expect Philip and his team to continue with such energetic force. The valley has, as you so rightly say in your letter, succumbed to farming operations, mining ventures, an influx of unemployed souls, of heavier traffic and that most irritating of foes, alien vegetation.

    As for this, I am sorry to hear that Robbie has had such a negative response from the Department of Environmental Affairs. I am appalled at their lack of scruples in engaging a team on a certain task and then not fulfilling their obligations by paying for the work done. It is dishonest, demoralising and unacceptable.

   I must just say that I had meant to write to Robbie regarding this matter but with so much on the go in the last few months, I neglected to do so. I apologise, Robbie. I must also say that a few weeks before your letter arrived and before I knew of your unfortunate situation, I had employed a team of my own workers to remove all the jacaranda and lantana from a 50m strip on both sides of the road to B5. In some places the team went deeper into the bush because the infestation was so bad. I intend to continue with this work on a regular basis.

    Back to HEAL, I suppose the time has come for each landowner to take it as their own responsibility to remove alien vegetation on their property as their conscience dictates.  Remember Robbie is available.

   In writing this, I also want to thank Lazarus for the sterling work he has so diligently done - in the summer heat, amongst thorns, snakes and other hardships unbeknown to us.

Again, thank you, Philip and Elsmarie, for your dedication through all these years. I am sorry we could not be up to the task, either as a community, or individuals.

With warm regards,

Leigh Voigt

Dear HEAL members, Interested and affected parties