Elandshoogte Gold Mine

GeaSphere

Nov 3, 2014, 12:49:10 AM11/3/14
to houtb...@googlegroups.com

Dear HEAL Members and Stakeholders

During the HEAL General Meeting held at Sudwala Lodge in June, 2014, it was suggested from the floor that occasionally (once every three or four months) a HEAL meeting should be held immediately after the monthly ‘security meeting’. This would allow for issues not related to security to be discussed amongst HEAL members (or any other interested parties) present.

I have recently been contacted by Adriaan (Omaruru Minirals) and subsequently had a meeting with mining engineers and consultants. This team is assisting Omaruru Minirals toobtain a water use licence, which is one of the necessary steps in order to proceed with mining operations at the Elandshoogte Mine, on the Mankele Community property west of Sudwala Lodge.

I suggested to the parties involved that they need to meet with the larger community who are bound to be affected by any mining in the valley, in order for them to explain their plans and deal with questions and concerns.

They plan to ‘rework’ the old mine dumps to extract gold, silver and other heavy metals which is still contained within the old dumps. This process would be ongoing for approximately two years.

I am told that the gold bearing reef is broad (1.5m) and that it extends all the way up the valley on both sides. For this reason mining will always remains a threat to our environment.

 I have spoken to Kobus and Oscar from the security committee and we had agreed to add a HEAL meeting on to the security meeting of November 10th. As soon as the security meeting proceedings are finalized, we will run through a short HEAL agenda, which will focus on a presentation from the mining consultants.

We also aim to briefly discuss the issue of alien plants, and a initiative to map worst infected areas and document and coordinate on-going efforts to control the spread.

I hope that you will be able to attend and provide input.

Thanks and RegardS

Philip Owen

Mobile: 0833868907