Texas neighbors said they tried to sound the alarm about Houston church shooter for months

Leroy N. Soetoro

Feb 17, 2024, 5:37:57 PMFeb 17
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/texas-neighbors-said-tried-sound-
alarm-houston-church-shooter-months-rcna138516

CONROE, Texas — Years before a shooter opened fire at Joel Osteen’s
Lakewood Church in Houston, residents in the small neighborhood said they
had run-ins with the suspect, who frightened them.

Six women who live in the neighborhood in Conroe, a north Houston suburb,
said the woman, Genesse Ivonne Moreno, targeted them, harassed them,
threatened them, displayed firearms and made them fear being outside their
homes.

Late Monday afternoon, the women held a news conference in the driveway of
a home to describe what they said they have been enduring and to criticize
what they said was officials’ failure to respond to their reports about
Moreno.

“No one should have died. No one should have been hurt. This should have
been handled years ago, and here we are again,” said Jill, the president
of the neighborhood association, who would not give her last name for fear
of retaliation.

Police in Conroe on Tuesday said they had reviewed the way calls about
Moreno had been handled.

"The review revealed that Conroe Police personnel handled the calls
appropriately and according to law," police said in a statement. "Nothing
relayed to officers would give authority to arrest or require mental
health emergency detention; nor would any of the information have been an
indication that the suspect would commit such a heinous crime."

Authorities said Moreno opened fire Sunday afternoon between services in
the Lakewood megachurch in Houston. Her 7-year-old son was with her at the
time, authorities said.

Houston Police Chief Troy Finner said Monday that the young boy was
wounded and “fighting for his life.”

A 57-year-old man who also was struck has been released from the hospital.

Two off-duty law enforcement officers who were at the church returned
fire, killing Moreno.

No one answered at the address where authorities say Moreno lived, nor did
anyone respond to a business card left at the door. Late Monday afternoon,
someone at the home taped a dated sign to the front door that said: "I do
not want to speak to anyone. Please leave my property. Thank you."

In the neighborhood, lawns are orderly with a few plants and planters on
them, except for the one at Moreno's home. It has small concrete statues
of a rabbit, a fairy and an angel. Metal birds and butterflies on rods are
planted around a tree. Wind chimes hang from the eaves. Doormats that say
“Welcome” lead to the small portico.

A few banners with Christian messages hang at homes in the neighborhood,
but several homes have cameras, including Moreno's. A small "No
Trespassing" sign with the image of an assault rifle is posted on the
fence of one home.

The women who spoke said things got so bad in the neighborhood that five
of them spent a day about five months ago talking to local elected
officials, police, the sheriff’s office and the city’s legal department.
They wrote letters to the neighborhood's property management company and
met with its lawyer, and they called media, said Linda Giutta, who lives
in the neighborhood.

They said a cease-and-desist order was issued after that meeting.

“We cannot do anything more than what we did. We tried to stop this,”
Giutta said. “We tried to help her. We tried to help us. We tried to help
the public. Something needs to get done.”

One of the women, Heather, who gave only her first name out of fear of
retaliation, said she made a complaint against Moreno, alleging she
threatened her with a handgun on July 4, 2022.

Heather said Moreno had screamed expletives at her when she was watering
her lawn early that morning. Heather said that she walked to Moreno's home
and that the woman pointed a handgun at her from behind the trunk of her
car. She said Conroe police documented the incident as a threat.

"We're being told ‘see something, say something.’ Well, we're seeing
stuff, we are saying stuff ... and Conroe PD is not helping us," Heather
said. "I don't want to bash them, but help us. Please."

Conroe’s five council members immediately responded to requests for
comment.

Authorities have not identified a motive in Sunday’s shooting, but they
said a dispute between Moreno and her ex-husband’s family, some of whom
are Jewish, might be linked to the shooting.

Two law enforcement officials told NBC News earlier that Moreno used an
assault rifle with the word “Palestine” written on it.

Moreno made several statements during the shooting, officials said, but
they declined to describe them.

Moreno had a documented mental health history and was placed under an
emergency detention order by Houston police in 2016. Law enforcement
records show she was arrested several times since 2005. She pleaded guilty
to illegally carrying a weapon and pleaded to a lesser charge after
authorities accused her of assaulting a public official.

Another resident, Judy Keith, said she first met Moreno in a park at the
end of their street. She said she stopped walking every morning and night
in the neighborhood because Moreno tried twice to hit her while she was
out walking.

“I’m afraid to come down here. I used to walk my granddaughter down here
to the park and I had to stop doing that,” Keith said.

--
We live in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so that
stupid people won't be offended.

Durham Report: The FBI has an integrity problem. It has none.

fiasco, President Trump.

queer liberal democrat donors.