WT.NET

Ingrid Kast Fuller

May 14, 2001, 6:09:22 AM5/14/01
So what is the deal with WT.NET. I can't even mail their "he...@wt.net"
about a problem with a mutual client.

I've been trying to mail some of my clients that use wt.net and they've
been having mail problems all week

Anyone having mail problems that has a wt.net account?
--
Ingrid Kast Fuller
CityScope Net Internet Access in the United States & Canada

Ingrid Kast Fuller

May 14, 2001, 6:11:52 AM5/14/01

Wilson

May 14, 2001, 10:39:51 AM5/14/01
Yep, me too. Big problems with email, accessing control panel, etc. Just
signed up with them a couple of weeks ago and can't get useful information
from their website or tech support.

"Ingrid Kast Fuller" <ing...@cityscope.net> wrote in message

Tim Canady

May 14, 2001, 2:29:07 PM5/14/01
I am in Conroe and WT.net purchased MCIA & DialAccess last year. I have
had nothing but problems with them since then. The E-Mail is down more
than it is up, the newsgroups were off for all of this month, I get
disconnected as many as 5 to 10 times an hour and most of the time I just
can't get on because "your password is not correct". They try to blame
everything on the phone company but I have a hard time believing the phone
company is the culprit. I called them a couple weeks ago and got the most
arrogant individual on the phone. I finally asked him if he even cared
that the system wasn't working and he said he didn't. I think that is a
fair evaluation of the company as a whole from my experience with them.
Thank goodness my contract is up at the end of June.

Tim Canady

Star...@negativespam.ev1.net

May 14, 2001, 5:06:06 PM5/14/01
Go with Ev1.net 3 news servers.. all have 58,000 plus news
groups....

On Mon, 14 May 2001 13:29:07 -0500, Tim Canady

Tim Canady

May 14, 2001, 6:53:38 PM5/14/01
Sounds great. Now all ev1 has to do is get a Conroe number so I don't spend my
life savings on long distance calls.

Tim

Scott Moseman

May 14, 2001, 11:17:20 PM5/14/01

Why does EV1 think they need 3 news servers?

Does a customer have to manually change their
nntp settings to switch servers? What is the
benefit for the customer?

Scott Moseman
sco...@hemicuda.com

On Mon, 14 May 2001 Star...@negativespam.ev1.net wrote:

: Go with Ev1.net 3 news servers.. all have 58,000 plus
: news groups....
:

lefty

May 15, 2001, 8:15:32 AM5/15/01
> Why does EV1 think they need 3 news servers?
>
> Does a customer have to manually change their
> nntp settings to switch servers? What is the
> benefit for the customer?

a well implented nntp/nttp/mail setup can have more than one and use ip load
balancing to serve traffic to the servers in an array... it can be done in
software or hardware and is something the isp handles...

the benefit? well, if one of the 3 nntp servers goes down... you won't
every know... the other 2 take up the slack...

Colin Bloch

May 15, 2001, 11:33:57 AM5/15/01
> a well implented nntp/nttp/mail setup can have more than one and use ip load
> balancing to serve traffic to the servers in an array... it can be done in
> software or hardware and is something the isp handles...

It depends. If the ISP runs 3 of their own NNTP servers (I'd
assume 3 front-ends to the same back-end array so that the
58,000+ groups are only being stored in one place) then they
could simply use the DNS 'round-robin' trick (basically have
3 A records for news.x.x pointing to different IPs)

> the benefit? well, if one of the 3 nntp servers goes down... you won't
> every know... the other 2 take up the slack...

Well, I've seen some ISPs concurrently farm out news service
to multiple NNTP providers in which case there would be no
seamless backup (unless the remote provider had it set up
that way). More likely, if news1.x.x failed, you'd have
to try news2 or news3 in that scenario.

Regardless, if ev1 has 3 news servers, they're not very proud
of them. The website support section only shows 'news.ev1.net'
and lookups show that it only points to a lone IP address. In
theory this one IP address could be port forwarding to a farm
of backend servers, but even so, it would be a single point of
failure & a chokepoint.

Course, my news reading is pretty much limited to this & a few
other text NGs, so (PDQ/) Internet America's news server does
great for me & has not ever been down for more than a minute
or two in my recent memory.

CAB

Scott Moseman

May 15, 2001, 11:32:22 AM5/15/01

Yes, I understand load-balancing, clustering, redundancy,
and all that hoopla. But I see only 1 IP address for the
"news.ev1.net" record. No round robin DNS, so I can only
assume server-based load-balancing or a cluster setup.

But why it is important to say 3, though? Why not just
specify they have a load-balanced or clustered system?

My question is geared toward how they have them setup,
and what makes mentioning they have 3 nntp servers an
important selling point? It means nothing to me, until
I hear how they have them configured.

Perhaps they have 3 fast-as-hell, frontend, load-balanced
nntp servers to handle requests, but they have a single,
slow, low-on-space filestore that they all share. Does
that make having 3 servers better than 1?

The devil is in the details...

Scott Moseman
scottm@hemicudacom

On Tue, 15 May 2001, lefty wrote:

: > Why does EV1 think they need 3 news servers?

:

Star...@negativespam.ev1.net

May 15, 2001, 10:41:58 PM5/15/01
3 servers.. means redundancy.. if one goes down.. you are not without
news..

On Mon, 14 May 2001 20:17:20 -0700, Scott Moseman

Star...@negativespam.ev1.net

May 15, 2001, 10:45:44 PM5/15/01
all I know is have a dial up thru them and use RR, and the EV1.net
servers are faster than the local RR servers..

On Tue, 15 May 2001 10:33:57 -0500, Colin Bloch <co...@grandecom.com>

Scott Moseman

May 16, 2001, 10:42:40 AM5/16/01

The real question at hand remains unanswered. :-)

Is this "3 servers" some marketing jumbo you heard?
Was a Sales Rep using that as a big selling point?

Can the person who spouted "3 servers" to you also
recite how they have 'em setup to maximize uptime?

Man, I am really getting curious now.

Scott Moseman
sco...@hemicuda.com

On Wed, 16 May 2001 Star...@negativespam.ev1.net wrote:

: 3 servers.. means redundancy.. if one goes down.. you
: are not without news..
:
:

:

lefty

May 16, 2001, 12:18:52 PM5/16/01
> Does a customer have to manually change their
> nntp settings to switch servers?

no

> What is the benefit for the customer?

uptime...
and speed if configured that way...

Bryan Williams

May 17, 2001, 10:45:27 AM5/17/01
To veer back toward the subject in question, one of the reasons that I left
WT.NET was that they had 3 news servers. "news.wt.net" had the most
complete feed, but horrible retention times, "news2" was primarily
*.binaries with spotty coverage of text groups, and "news3" was primarily
text groups. I found that each server maintained different numbering
schemes and switching servers caused my client to retrieve all available
headers in each group. The third time within one year that the servers
filled up and choked on new postings, I switched to texas.net and I'm well
satisfied with the result.

On Wed, 16 May 2001 07:42:40 -0700, Scott Moseman <sco...@hemicuda.com>
wrote:

Bryan Williams

Veni, Vidi, Velcro.
I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Green Tomatoes

May 17, 2001, 10:41:42 PM5/17/01
Problems? I dont have any pro%%^^&&&&^(``--- with WT.N##-====.//

Tim Canady

May 18, 2001, 9:30:14 AM5/18/01
As with my earlier post, I will describe a problem with WT.NET. I
continually receive spam from a certain person or company. They had no
method for removal from their list so I sent the spam with full headers to
ab...@wt.net. Their response was that the offending party was not on their
system so I would have determine who the party was with and go to that
provider for any assistance. If your own ISP won't help with spam who will?

In January, WT.NET had a problem with mail and they set up an account called
"oldmail". The only way a client would know is to check their web site.
From January to April, I called about several problems including mail and was
never told about the new server. Finally, I reached the person who set up my
web site and he commented that I hadn't checked my mail in 4 months. That's
how I found out about the new server. I had 68 E-Mails in the account from
clients sending information to me that I had continually asked them for.
It's nice to be kept aware of problems and issues the ISP is having isn't it?

Tim Canady

Colin Bloch

May 18, 2001, 9:58:37 AM5/18/01
Tim Canady wrote:

> ab...@wt.net. Their response was that the offending party was not on their
> system so I would have determine who the party was with and go to that
> provider for any assistance. If your own ISP won't help with spam who will?

Yourself. Its not your ISPs responsibility to track down your
spam for you. Most filter out what they can. Beyond that you
need to be (a) wary of public forums where your email address
might show up unmunged, and (b) a little lucky or selective to
have an email address that the spammers don't just guess at
(ie. bob@anything.)

> In January, WT.NET had a problem with mail and they set up an account called
> "oldmail". The only way a client would know is to check their web site.
> From January to April, I called about several problems including mail and was
> never told about the new server. Finally, I reached the person who set up my
> web site and he commented that I hadn't checked my mail in 4 months. That's

Well, yeah, that does suck. They should've sent out email
notification prior to the change. It seems logical to me to
check the ISP website if there is a suspected issue, however
I can't honestly say that I've ever really done it myself
having spent the last 6 or so years working for ISPs.

CAB

Tim Canady

May 18, 2001, 11:13:52 AM5/18/01

Colin Bloch wrote:

CAB,
This was not actually a change, the e-Mail servers did not change, they had a
problem and they directed 68 E-Mails of mine to that server. I still have to check
the "oldmail" account, at least weekly, to find mail that I just didn't receive on
my regular server. There has been no explanation for the procedure and never any
mail to tell you to do it. The only place is on the web site. When the ISP can
not authenticate your user name, for sometimes days at a time, you can't get to the
web site anyway. They have consistently blames the failure to authenticate on the
phone company. I was told to have the phone company to come out and check for
static on the line, which I did twice, and the line was clear. From the lack of
interest and communications to the Conroe users, I can't help but believe that
wt.net intends to eliminate the Conroe service.

Tim

MWSmith

May 20, 2001, 6:31:56 AM5/20/01
On Fri, 18 May 2001 10:13:52 -0500, Tim Canady
<trca...@taxhelp2000.com> wrote:

I remember this incident, but I did not remember it being in January.
Here is the e-mail wt.net sent me about the e-mail problem:

(Important WT.net Network Information That Concerns You)

Hello,

Around 5:00 PM on June 10, 1999, a power surge/outage
just 50 yards from our network operations center blew
up. Power was on/off for about 10 minutes and our battery
backup blew up as well. Unfortunately,
a portion of our mail server's spool was corrupted and
was temporarily unrecoverable.

We have recovered the data and ALL users can recover old email
before the corruption by logging into our webmail system...

http://webmail.wt.net

In the mailbox name, input your
mailb...@oldmail.wt.net and your corresponding
password. You will then be able to retrieve your
old emails. After you have read and deleted your
emails, you can go back to your old method of
retrieving your emails.

We regret the inconvenience this may cause you.
If you have any questions concerning this message,
please call us at 713-965-0485.

Regards,
WT.net Tech Team

This was back in 1999.

Mike Smith

Tim Canady

May 20, 2001, 8:40:56 AM5/20/01
Mike,
This time it happened in January, 2001. Look at the wt.net web site. In 1999, the
Conroe area was served by DialAccess which was purchased by wt.net in Sept 2000.

Tim Canady

Larry Kessler

Jun 16, 2001, 2:40:32 PM6/16/01
On Mon, 14 May 2001 05:09:22 -0500, Ingrid Kast Fuller
<ing...@cityscope.net> wrote:

>So what is the deal with WT.NET. I can't even mail their "he...@wt.net"
>about a problem with a mutual client.
>
>I've been trying to mail some of my clients that use wt.net and they've
>been having mail problems all week
>
>Anyone having mail problems that has a wt.net account?

It's been pretty solid for me, in that I've been getting mails through
that account right along, but I can't know about any that HAVEN'T
gotten through. No complaints from anyone, however.

I just sent myself a test email from my houston.rr.com account to my
wt.net account and it went through almost instantaneously.

--
"Although we may never know with complete certainty the identity of the
winner of this year's Presidential election, the identity of the loser