Restaurants of Yore

Chris Pando

Jun 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/24/98

Kennon Baird wrote:

[great restaraunts that aren't anymore]

> There was a little BBQ place which I can't recall the name of. We
> went south on Main for a long way (it was kind of in the country
> then), and turned right (west) on some street. It was named after the
> owner. I want to say "Mel's", but maybe that's not right.

Al's, in Stafford?

> Any other old-timers out there?

The Purple Cow, Bissonnet and Hillcroft. Burger Joint.

Brittains(sp) Flame Kissed Burgers

Maria's Mexican, off the Bellaire Triangle

Chris "Ron's Crispy Fried Chicken" Pando

Tyler Hopper

Jun 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/30/98

Chris Pando wrote:

> Kennon Baird wrote:
> >

> [great restaraunts that aren't anymore]

Oooh, oooh, (waving hand in air) I've got another one!

Youngbloods Chicken. The only one I really remember was in some strip
center on the North Freeway around Airline. That narrows it right down
doesn't it?
__________________________
Tyler Hopper

"He's a High Tech Redneck"

Fight Spam. Join CAUCE. http://www.cauce.org

Vickie B. Davis

Jun 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/30/98

I never ate at Youngbloods here, but we always tried to eat there
when my family went to the Texas State Fair in Dallas. That's where
I learned how good honey is on fried chicken! We also would go to
the one in Lubbock when visiting there. ( I grew up in northeast
Texas...a little town called Atlanta.)

Tyler Hopper

Jun 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/30/98

John M. Cotterell wrote:

> The Youngbloods I frequented was on Main Street. Best onion rings
> ever! It was across from Rice Institute, near Ye Old College Inn
> (there's a couple more memories for ya!)

Rice Institute? You have been around a while. I haven't heard anybody
call it that in a long time.

I second the onion ring vote. IMHO somebody could make a killing on
chicken restaurants if they could dig out the Youngbloods recipe. The
current crop pales in comparison.

Has anybody mentioned Frenchy's chicken? Yum!

Dave Garrett

Jun 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/30/98

In article <3598ECCE...@postoffice.swbell.net>,
tho...@postoffice.swbell.net says...

> Chris Pando wrote:
> >
> > Kennon Baird wrote:
> > >

> > [great restaraunts that aren't anymore]
>
> Oooh, oooh, (waving hand in air) I've got another one!
>
> Youngbloods Chicken. The only one I really remember was in some strip
> center on the North Freeway around Airline. That narrows it right down
> doesn't it?

Good God, I hadn't thought of Youngblood's in years. Used to eat
there all the time when I was a kid. The one you're thinking of
was in Northtown Plaza, between I-45 and Airline at Tidwell. It
changed hands and was rechristened Aunt Bea's Chicken, but the
food never quite managed to be as good as when it was
Youngblood's.

That reminds me of another one, as well. Anyone remember the Wind
Swept Inn on Airline, in the vicinity of Gulf Bank/Canino Road?
Their specialty was chicken as well, but it was a little nicer
place than Youngblood's. They advertised "Family Style Dinners",
which usually consisted of a big platter of fried chicken, with
generous helpings of mashed potatoes and gravy, beans, mustard
greens, rolls, and cornbread. It's been closed for quite a few
years now, but in its heyday it used to pack 'em in every night.

Dave

Tyler Hopper

Jul 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/1/98

Dave Garrett wrote:

> That reminds me of another one, as well. Anyone remember the Wind
> Swept Inn on Airline, in the vicinity of Gulf Bank/Canino Road?
> Their specialty was chicken as well, but it was a little nicer
> place than Youngblood's. They advertised "Family Style Dinners",
> which usually consisted of a big platter of fried chicken, with
> generous helpings of mashed potatoes and gravy, beans, mustard
> greens, rolls, and cornbread. It's been closed for quite a few
> years now, but in its heyday it used to pack 'em in every night.
>
> Dave

There was a place in Pasadena just like that. In the neighborhood close
to the tunnel. Platters of fried chicken, roast, liver, greens,
biscuits, ....... po' folks soul food. Can't remember the name. It
_has_ been 25 years or so.

Mixmaster

Jul 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/3/98

Back in the 50's I remember Chuck Wagon Hamburgers in several locations
around town. Looked like a covered wagon out of the old west. Spoke dogs,
hub, and wheel burgers !

Lothar

Jul 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/3/98

While visiting my folk's in Baytown, I was reminded of Burger Chef. While
cleaning out a closet, we discovered a frisbee given out as a promo from
Burger Chef. Great on a Saturday after attending the Kiddie Show at the
Bruenson Theatre on Texas Ave. in Baytown. Watch low-budget Japanese sci-fi
flics and eat a burger bigger than your head.

Mixmaster <mixm...@remail.obscura.com> wrote in article
<6njeov$g...@sirius.infonex.com>...

John Howland

Jul 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/6/98

Orange Julius is alive and well on the West Coast in the Los Angeles area.

John
Dave Garrett (da...@compassnet.com) wrote:
: Just thought of another one. Anyone remember the various Orange
: Julius locations around town? Yeah, it was a chain, and from out
: of town as well, but I have fond memories of sucking down many
: OJs as a kid.
:
: Anyone know if there are any left? Last one I was aware of was in
: the food court at Northwest Mall, and I haven't been there in
: several years.
:
: Dave
:

Tyler Hopper

Jul 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/6/98

Dave Garrett wrote:

> Just thought of another one. Anyone remember the various Orange
> Julius locations around town? Yeah, it was a chain, and from out
> of town as well, but I have fond memories of sucking down many
> OJs as a kid.
>
> Anyone know if there are any left? Last one I was aware of was in
> the food court at Northwest Mall, and I haven't been there in
> several years.

I'm pretty sure that I remember seeing one at Rolling Oaks mall here in
San Antonio.

Chris Pando

Jul 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/9/98
Mixmaster wrote:

> Back in the 50's I remember Chuck Wagon Hamburgers in several locations
> around town. Looked like a covered wagon out of the old west. Spoke dogs,
> hub, and wheel burgers !

There was a chuckwagon near Beechnut and Bissonnet.

How about El Michoacan, located where the parking lot for
Sound Warehouse/the former 8.0 is? A favorite when I was
an undergrad at Rice (we used to walk). Wonderful Tacos
al Carbon (circa. 1978).

Chris

Jack Sloan

Jul 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/9/98
Their carnitas were also wonderful.

Jack

PIZGRL

Jul 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/10/98
I know this is supposed to be about resturants, but does anyone remember
an icream popsicle called Pink Thing? It had a pink dragon on the box

Melissa.

Chris Pando

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98
How about Lee's Den on South Main. I have a friend who
still misses their special won ton soup. Anybody know
what happened to the restaurant (or where to get a
comparable bowl of soup?).

Chris "Burgerville #2" Pando

PIZGRL

Jul 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/15/98
Oh my God...How could I forget...We used to eat there every sunday nite all
thru my childhood. Great egg drop soup!

Melissa

SpIgOt

Jul 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/16/98
In article <199807150309...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
piz...@aol.com (PIZGRL) wrote:

There was a huge buffet on sundays ! o yeah....

Another one from that period was Bud Bigelowe's Steakhouse on westheimer,
next door to the old Molinas, now the site of a storage building ;(.
Almost as good as Herman Brenners place on Katy freeway. Bigelowes also
had real homemade bread made on premises everyday. Got to make bread
there once as a kid ! Food and memories......

--
John Moran / Digital Services Recording Studios
my real email is : digisrvs@riter<dot>computize<dot>com

"... it's your fire, baby, I hope you don't get burned."
Althea - The Grateful Dead

Kennon Baird

Jul 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/19/98
How about Tin-Tin on Elgin (Westheimer?) just west of Travis? We used
to go there for Chinese in the early 70s.

I think the building actually blew up a few years ago.

KB

ker...@gmail.com

Aug 14, 2013, 10:47:10 PM8/14/13
Replying to a post from 15 years ago! Lee's Den was a great place from my childhood too.

charles...@gmail.com

May 26, 2018, 4:25:53 AM5/26/18
My dad had a restaurant on Willowbend off of South Main where you would be heading west. It was there from the early sixties to the early eighties. It was Mel's Pit Bar-B-Que. It had lots of western items on the walls and a old wagon on the roof outside.

colto...@gmail.com

May 8, 2019, 9:15:12 AM5/8/19
On Thursday, June 25, 1998 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, Kennon Baird wrote:
> Anybody remember these?:
>
> Zorba's - Tuam (I think) @ Helena. In '72, it was a crumbling shack
> (my foot actually went through the floor one night) - but what a feed!
> Later, they built a larger place at the same location, but it wasn't
> the same.
>
> Valian's Steak House - S. Main, across from where The Shamrock Hotel
> was. I remember the ceiling was blue, with painted stars.
>
> Alfred's in The Village - Wonderful soups and breads. Just the thing
> to satisfy hungry student types.
>
> The Cellar Door on Stella Link - This was our "special" restaurant
> when I was young and "in love".
>
> Hamburgers by Gourmet - various locations (I recall the one at Yoakum
> and Alabama the best). You placed your order from your table via an
> old-timey telephone. I can still taste their Hickory Burger.
>
> Rolando's Burger Factory - various locations. Always good - and cheap!
>
> There was a little BBQ place which I can't recall the name of. We
> went south on Main for a long way (it was kind of in the country
> then), and turned right (west) on some street. It was named after the
> owner. I want to say "Mel's", but maybe that's not right.
>
> Any other old-timers out there?
>
> Kennon

Looking for the Cellar Door Cheese Spread recipe, and the Salad Dressing on their delicious salads; what a treat!

susanri...@gmail.com

Jun 4, 2020, 3:43:17 PM6/4/20
Do you remember Jaime's on Main Steet. It was a two story house ... served hamburgers. This would have been late 60's!