FW: Living without Shelter, Open Streets and more

Annette Mills

Jul 11, 2024, 6:04:50 PM (4 days ago) Jul 11
to Housing_A...@googlegroups.com

Hi, Housing Action Team,

Unless you’re a member of the Sustainable Corvallis Google group, you may have missed the wonderful graphic that HomeShare Oregon staff created for our event next Wednesday evening. Many thanks to Housing Action Team member Judy Smith and Asia Elsner, HomeShare Oregon’s Communications and Marketing Manager, for your creativity and support!

Please see the first article below, and share it widely.

Thanks,

Annette

July 11, 2024

In this issue

Living without Shelter. Panel to discuss myths & realities

6th Annual Open Streets is coming soon. Volunteers still needed!

Portable Bike Racks on the Move. Look for them at local events

Living without Shelter

Panel to discuss myths & realities

“Living without Shelter: Myths & Realities” will be discussed by a team of panelists on Wednesday, July 17, from 7:00 to 8:30 pm at the First Congregational Church, 4515 West Hills Road in Corvallis. This event is being co-sponsored by the Corvallis Sustainability Coalition’s Housing Action Team and Unity Shelter.

Join Unity Shelter's staff and board members in a conversation about the reality of extreme poverty and the crisis of housing in Corvallis and across our country. This educational panel will focus on the root causes of houselessness, address the myths and realities of living without shelter, and share the unique work of Unity Shelter in our community. They will also discuss ways our community might engage in advocacy around true community wellness. Panelists include:

·     Shawn Collins, Executive Director of Unity Shelter

·     Moksha Mokma, Unity Shelter Board Member and former staff

·     Jacob Burwell, Traditional Health Worker, Unity Shelter

·     Rev. Jennifer Butler, Unity Shelter Board Member

First Congregational Church is also the location of the Safe Camp microshelter village that is operated by Unity Shelter. Unity Shelter provides safe shelter through emergency and transitional housing to those in our community who have none. Unity Shelter recognizes belonging as a primary human need and so their efforts to create collaborative, safe shelter necessarily involve cultivating communities of care between neighbors, staff, volunteers and partners.

6th Annual Open Streets is coming soon

Volunteers still needed!

On Sunday, July 21, from 11 am to 3 pm, a mile of city streets will be closed to motorized traffic between Cloverland Park and Garfield Park. Transformed, those streets will come alive with people walking, rolling, dancing, playing, and socializing! Activity hubs along the route will add to the fun by offering local food and drink, live music, giant-sized games, and more. Neighbors, community organizations, and businesses will be on hand to host interactive activities, open to all.

The success of Open Streets depends on volunteers – people who offer to help for a couple of hours to make the festival happen. In return, volunteers get a free t-shirt, coffee and pastries, tamales, and a voucher for Go Giddy Pops. Event organizers especially need people to serve as Intersection Superheroes to make the event fun and safe by:

·     Answering questions and handing out event maps

·     Redirecting some cars

·     Escorting (walking) local residents who are driving their cars to/from their homes

Visit the Open Streets volunteer page to sign up for a specific location and time. Be part of the fun of this amazing community event, co-sponsored by the Corvallis Sustainability Coalition.

Portable Bike Racks on the Move

Look for them at local events

Have you ever seen a convoy of bike racks moving down a Corvallis street, each set of racks pulled by a single bicyclist? It’s a sight to see!

For the past 10 years, the Sustainability Coalition’s Transportation Action Team (TAT) has been providing bike-mobile bike racks at a variety of community events, including our annual Sustainability Fair & Town Hall, Concerts at SAGE, Septembeerfest, Fall Festival, and many more. This year alone, we’ve had requests to provide the bike racks at 13 separate events.

TAT’s hard-working Bike Rack Transport Team is offering this service to encourage more people in our community to get to events by bike, rather than traveling by car. And the popularity of the program is growing. It seems that wherever we’ve provided the portable bike racks, they fill up with bikes!

From the start of the program in 2014, it has been a collaboration between the Sustainability Coalition and the City of Corvallis Active Transportation Program. The bike racks, which were produced locally, were jointly funded by the Coalition and the City. All the racks are now owned by the City and stored at the Public Works yard. Each rack holds up to 14 bikes, and there are 18 of the racks available. Go HERE for information about the City’s Portable Bike Rack Loan Program.

Please forward this “E-UPDATE” to members of your participating organization and to other interested individuals.

Facebook Instagram

Corvallis Sustainability Coalition | PO Box 2310 | Corvallis, OR 97339 US

Constant Contact