Help with an outreach client

Lindsey Stallard

Jun 10, 2024, 2:32:58 PMJun 10
to Housing Action Team | Corvallis Sustainability Coalition
Hello HAT,

Looking forward to seeing you all soon! I wanted to share this email from one of our case managers about an outreach client with a very challenging case. She is struggling to find this client the appropriate housing, given her health conditions. I'm wondering if any of you might have some suggestions.
Here is her email:

Hi Lindsey, following up on our Tuesday convo regarding Jane (pseudonym). She's been unsuccessful finding housing with the multiple vouchers she's held over the years. Her current Benton Cty limit is $1402. She could qualify for up to a 20% increase with a reasonable accommodation. This limit must include utilities (tenant paid).

Jane stopped working due to a repetitive motion disability affecting her hand and back. It's difficult for her to type, text, or carry anything of weight. In 2012 she was injured by her airbag in an auto accident causing a TBI and hyperaccusis. The TBI causes a syndrome that affects her balance and ability to think clearly. She is unable to make appointments due to hold music.

Jane has been staying with a "friend" for almost 5 years. He lives up on or near Whitham Hill Dr. The room she sleeps in is quiet enough. The friend turns off the heating and air while she is there as it makes too much noise. She leaves early in the morning and returns at 7 pm. She is able to sleep and shower there but cannot store belongings or cook food. The friend is emotionally abusive. She cannot leave the room while he screams at her. He threatens to throw her outside. She's been to CARDV but was told by them that their shelter is loud. Room at the Inn isn't an option.

She will not live in a large complex. She prefers a duplex, condo, or house (less neighbors and thicker walls). She can't do stairs but would live in a townhouse (without utilizing the 2nd floor) She can't live near a busy street, train tracks, airport, fire station, basketball court, or congested area. Must be in Corvallis as car rides affect her condition.

She has PERS income, no criminal record, credit could be a little shaky.

I know this is a lot but hopefully there is something out there.