firewall recommendations

Rudi Ahlers

Sep 18, 2017, 11:48:42 AM9/18/17
to house...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guys,

I hope someone can give me some insight on this. One of our clients have a Telkom MetroLN VPN to 5 of their branches, which will soon be replaced with Fiber connectivity. As such, the branches internet will be open. All the branches currently connect to a SAP server in Germany, via another VPN, and then also some servers in JHB via the VPN.

I already have a MikroTik in HQ for routing everything and there's a Cisco Meraki firewall on the Germany VPN, which is managed by the German provider. I am not a Cisco engineer and never worked on one. But The Merkai demo seems fairly eary to use. And I do know some routing and have worked on MikroTik, Ubiquity, FreeBSD and Linux firewalls in the past. I have also worked on Cyberoam firewalls, which has now been acquired by Sophos.

The Cyberoam firewalls have Level 8 (user) filtering which is very nice.

As an alternative, I see Kerio firewall does the same. But the client is not prepared to pay this price.

So what alternatives do I have? Some options I have been considering are PFSense, Untangle, Endian Firewall, Smoothwall (have used this in the past), etc installed on an enterprise grade server like SuperMicro / HP / Dell (??) / Intel / etc?

Requirements:
- To security the network from the outside, and inside unknown threads
- To offer inter-branch VPN, compatible with a MikroTik at HQ
- To offer at least Layer 8 firewalling, i.e. block Facebook / Youtube / etc from certain employees, and throttle stuff like Windows / Android / IOS updates.
- Monitor network / bandwidth usage, both on the WAN (+ backup) and for individual users.
- WAN failover from the Fiber line to LTE (An LTE router would be fine). VRRP is probably not needed.
- VOIP passthrough / QOS

There is no proxy, and possibly no need for it. Nor is there a Windows Active Directory / Kerberos / LDAP server. I don't think this is needed at this stage either. They do use SAMBA though.

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Andrew Turpin

Sep 18, 2017, 11:57:36 AM9/18/17
to house...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rudi,
  Who is going to support these firewalls?  We ended up choosing Cyberoam because our Windows-only IT Ops staff did not have the skill/experience to handle anything less end-user friendly... even though it cost(s) an arm and a leg... and is possibly not better than the FOSS alternatives.

Kind regards,
Andrew Turpin

Rudi Ahlers

Sep 18, 2017, 2:50:06 PM9/18/17
to house...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrew,

I am a sysadmin and the other guys are all Linux devs, so between us we'll make it work ;) I am personally comfortable with anything Linux based.

And I would prefer the Cyberoam's but don't know if I like the Sophos merger much. Sophos in itself isn't my favourite. Kerios is quite a bit more expensive than Cyberoam with the same features (layer 8 filtering). The Cisco Meraki is inbetween the two, looks nice, but feel a bit "next level" for me.

Dieter Rosch

Sep 18, 2017, 3:29:12 PM9/18/17
to house...@googlegroups.com
I love pfSense, and it has everything you are asking for. But I am not a SecOp - this might help you decide:

I run mine at home in a VM on UnRaid, with a 4 port PCI-e NIC dedicated to it so that there is no chance of traffic sniffing a shared virtual NIC.

Sent from my iPhone

Andrew Turpin

Sep 19, 2017, 3:53:53 AM9/19/17
to house...@googlegroups.com
so I see that wiki does not include: https://opnsense.org/ in its comparison ...anybody tried OPNSense ?

Rudi Ahlers

Sep 19, 2017, 4:54:05 AM9/19/17
to house...@googlegroups.com
mmm, OPNSense seems nice

Dieter Rosch

Sep 19, 2017, 5:47:51 AM9/19/17
to house...@googlegroups.com
OPNSense is a fork of pfSense. Mostly because of in-fighting, i.e. no technical reason IMO.

If you are planning to run on older hardware OPNSense *might* be better as pfSense is starting to require crypto instruction sets, but TBH all modern CPU's have it, and you need a bit more beef these days in your firewalls due to the more complex encryption/decryption and defense systems.

Personally I will stick with pfSense, since I trust it and I like it. Not to say OPNSense isn't trustworthy, I just don't see any need to look for anything different, pfSense really does everything I need, and it works really well for me.

Rudi Ahlers

Apr 2, 2018, 5:47:19 AM4/2/18
to house...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone played with the Ubiquity Security Gateways? Are they any good?