Survey to Linux enthusiasts for Linux hardware

Hussain

Oct 7, 2021, 8:12:56 AM10/7/21
to house...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

The Google group is very inactive nowadays.

If you don't know me, my name is Hussain and I am a Linux enthusiast.
Finding Laptops or even phones in SA that aren't MS/Android/iOS is
near-impossible.

I want to create a market for it by seeing if people are interested in
purchasing dedicated Linux hardware.

I am very transparent about my goals and the model. My goal is to
develop a model similar to the pinephone where the primary function of
the business is to increase Linux adoption and make Linux a first-class
option in SA(and turn a small profit to keep the company functioning). I
initially want to get a market for laptops and then as it grows, shift
towards bringing in phones and tablets too(through some collab with
existing Linux phone makers)

The goal is to get about 1000-2000 respondents, assuming a 10% "serious
intent", which translates to about 10-20 laptops purchased in bulk each
year.

If you are interested, please fill the survey here:

https://forms.zohopublic.com/virtualoffice21280/form/LinuxHardware/formperma/d7LdLW8URhdWYFjwmaHj8YV7CZ4vadW2MHT8Il176_8

If you know of any other places to share this, please let me know.

Also, please share this if are you keen to help create this market.

On the other hand, if you know any company or org already doing this(I
only know of Wootware) for laptops/tablets/phones, please share it so I
can just buy myself the hardware :D

Feedback welcome.

Regards,

Gert van den Berg

Oct 7, 2021, 5:45:39 PM10/7/21
to house4hack
On Thursday, October 7, 2021 at 2:12:56 PM UTC+2 Hussain wrote:
Hello all,

The Google group is very inactive nowadays.
There is a lot more going on on the Telegram group. (AFAIK the invite link on the group no longer works and the main method to get added is in person on a Tuesday at the house)

If you don't know me, my name is Hussain and I am a Linux enthusiast.
Finding Laptops or even phones in SA that aren't MS/Android/iOS is
near-impossible.

I want to create a market for it by seeing if people are interested in
purchasing dedicated Linux hardware.

I am very transparent about my goals and the model. My goal is to
develop a model similar to the pinephone where the primary function of
the business is to increase Linux adoption and make Linux a first-class
option in SA(and turn a small profit to keep the company functioning). I
initially want to get a market for laptops and then as it grows, shift
towards bringing in phones and tablets too(through some collab with
existing Linux phone makers)
The comments on products are for me, other people might have other opinions.

For phones, my issue would be that there are several options of existing devices that can be repurposed. (And they tend to support Android and its variants as well, which gives options if the alternative distro does not work for the user) (Taking a list at the devices with Ubuntu Touch versions are interesting... A few have it officially available, but many more can be reflashed - several OnePlus . Google / LG / Xiaomi / Sony devices)

(I ordered a f(x)tec Pro 1-X recently though)

(What I do care about on phones is serviceability (replacing batteries, options for replacing screens), open bootloaders and the availability of alternative Android options)
(I'm unlikely to buy a device that is not available with a Google approved Android - I don't want to replace all the apps that I built up in the Play Store over ~13 years of Android use...)

(Existing devices might also make sense to import, like the Purism Librem 5, Shiftphone, Volla Phone or the Fairphone (and the PinePhone))

It might be an option amongst the very privacy conscious though...

Laptops (and possibly tablets) might do better though. It might make sense to start by importing brands like System76, Pursim, Olimex, Technoethical, Vikings or ThinkPenguin

I do think that smaller companies might have IT departments interested in buying modular (at least end-user replaceable batteries) laptops that they can easily maintain. (But they are unlikely to be willing to pay a huge premium for it though)

(I'm not a huge fan of laptops - I only buy them from my employers when they are due for replacement. Desktop system provide much better value and modularity.)

Gert