What can I do with an Old Android Tablet

Gineer

Aug 18, 2017, 5:41:43 AM8/18/17
to house4hack
Hay guys,
I have an old Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 that no longer supports any of the new updates and will soon become little more than a paper weight. As a maker/hacker,tinker'er..?!? what do you guys think I could do with it.

Up at the top of my list is to simply enclose it into a "vandal proof case" and mount it at my front gate and use it as a video intercom system with solar charging, connected to my home WiFi.

I know I could rip it apart and use the screen, but that feels like a waste for the rest of the hardware.

What do you guys think?

David

Org Jansen van Rensburg

Aug 18, 2017, 5:59:29 AM8/18/17
to house...@googlegroups.com
Use it as a fixed controller for some home automation?

Quentin Harley

Aug 18, 2017, 6:33:20 AM8/18/17
to house...@googlegroups.com
https://www.lineageos.org/

New life for your old tablet

Gineer

Aug 18, 2017, 6:53:15 AM8/18/17
to house4hack
@Org,
Sounds like a plan... How though? You mean just use the built in web browser as the UI to some kind of server(Pi/Arduino/ESP8266 or similar) or are you saying there is some way to make this the controller?

David

On 18 Aug 2017 11:41 a.m., "Gineer" <gin...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hay guys,
I have an old Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 that no longer supports any of the new updates and will soon become little more than a paper weight. As a maker/hacker,tinker'er..?!? what do you guys think I could do with it.

Up at the top of my list is to simply enclose it into a "vandal proof case" and mount it at my front gate and use it as a video intercom system with solar charging, connected to my home WiFi.

I know I could rip it apart and use the screen, but that feels like a waste for the rest of the hardware.

What do you guys think?

David

Gerhard L

Aug 18, 2017, 6:57:59 AM8/18/17
to house...@googlegroups.com

I mounted unused tablet to the fridge handling MQTT messages, alternatively you can browse NodeRed dashboard.

Inline image 1

Org Jansen van Rensburg

Aug 18, 2017, 6:59:07 AM8/18/17
to house...@googlegroups.com
I would use the built-in browser, but maybe via a shortcut. If using Chrome, you can pin any site to your home screen and it becomes like a site-specific browser.

For home control frameworks look at:
NodeRed
Openhab
Home-assistant.io
Etc...

Org Jansen van Rensburg

Aug 18, 2017, 7:01:34 AM8/18/17
to house...@googlegroups.com
Nice Gerhard! That is the use case which I had in mind.

Rudi Ahlers

Aug 20, 2017, 9:08:56 AM8/20/17
to house...@googlegroups.com
This sounds like a fun project! Question is, how long will it last till it gets stolen or broken at the gate?
What about a media player in your car?

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers
Website: http://www.rudiahlers.co.za

Gineer

Aug 21, 2017, 5:05:20 AM8/21/17
to house4hack
Wow, as always, you guys are a gold mine of inspiration. Just when I thought this group was running a bit cold.

;-)

This is the only Android device in my house. If only I could install windows on that tablet to make it actually useful... </dig>

Gert van den Berg

Aug 21, 2017, 5:30:31 AM8/21/17
to house4hack

On Monday, August 21, 2017 at 11:05:20 AM UTC+2, Gineer wrote:
This is the only Android device in my house. If only I could install windows on that tablet to make it actually useful... </dig>

LineageOS does not seem to support the Original Galaxy Tab 7... (It does support the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (wifi version as well) though...)

You can check https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-tab/development (You would need to check the model number for the right options) for other ROMs...