Reviving the Group

Luis Majano

Mar 25, 2019, 9:57:55 AM3/25/19
to Houston ColdFusion Users' Group
Hi folks,

It seems the activity in this group is really low. Let's revive it.  Ortus is now based in Houston and we have a lot more resources to help out organize a group, get speakers, swag, etc.  I just need us to get a conversation going on how we can achieve this.  I am game for sponsoring and helping in any way possible.

John M Bliss

Mar 25, 2019, 10:03:01 AM3/25/19
to hou...@googlegroups.com
I miss it! Unfortunately, I moved to FL so I'm just lurking here.

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 9:57 AM Luis Majano <lma...@ortussolutions.com> wrote:
Hi folks,

It seems the activity in this group is really low. Let's revive it.  Ortus is now based in Houston and we have a lot more resources to help out organize a group, get speakers, swag, etc.  I just need us to get a conversation going on how we can achieve this.  I am game for sponsoring and helping in any way possible.

Luis Majano

Mar 25, 2019, 10:15:26 AM3/25/19
to hou...@googlegroups.com, hou...@googlegroups.com
Where in Florida John?

John M Bliss

Mar 25, 2019, 10:28:24 AM3/25/19
to hou...@googlegroups.com
Fort Myers.

Milind Pataskar

Mar 25, 2019, 10:58:40 AM3/25/19
to hou...@googlegroups.com
I was (and perhaps still am) a die hard fan of ColdFusion but even I’ve started to lose faith in the future of CF in corporate America.
Either nobody’s heard of CF or if they have heard, thinks CF is “Legacy” system.

I squarely put the blame on Adobe for this.

I would love to see this group revived but what would be the point? Most of us veterans have slowly moved onto different systems and I’m not sure the “new blood” has even heard of CF.

Just my thoughts. Plan a BeerFUG first if you want to get the quorum going  :)

Regards,
Milind.

Mark Davis

Mar 25, 2019, 11:37:48 AM3/25/19
to hou...@googlegroups.com
That’s a very generous offer Luis.

I think the days of groups physically gathering together is waning, especially in a city as big as Houston.  It’s just too difficult to pick a time and place convenient for everyone.

Charlie Arehart has shown the path for groups, I think, with his online presentations.  That may be a path to try.

I wish I could help with this group’s re-emergence.  I have also moved away from Houston to Orange County, CA.

Best of luck

Mark

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 6:57 AM Luis Majano <lma...@ortussolutions.com> wrote:
Hi folks,

It seems the activity in this group is really low. Let's revive it.  Ortus is now based in Houston and we have a lot more resources to help out organize a group, get speakers, swag, etc.  I just need us to get a conversation going on how we can achieve this.  I am game for sponsoring and helping in any way possible.

John M Bliss

Mar 25, 2019, 11:39:33 AM3/25/19
to hou...@googlegroups.com
> That may be a path to try.

The South Florida Group does the same thing.

Luis Majano

Mar 25, 2019, 1:13:25 PM3/25/19
to hou...@googlegroups.com, hou...@googlegroups.com
I don't mind doing things virtually or sponsoring a location.  One of our core mission is to evangelize locally, so we are willing to take the lead on this in any way we can. We want to invigorate locally as much as we can.

We have been taking the CF torch and running for it and we have seen a big impact and resurgence in many areas.  That's why Into the Box (www.intothebox.org) conference was moved here to the Houston area and we are close to being sold out as well.

Every language has it's pros/cons. Especially in a polyglot world we live on right now.  We should just be focused on one technology but on many.  We do as much as 5 different language stacks for projects, and that is just the way of the future.

We have a tremendous amount of tooling now available to ColdFusion (CFML) that doesn't even exist in other languages, so we are breaking ground on many new fronts as well especially with CommandBox and ForgeBox.

As for the group, we could potentially do it both virtually and on-site.  Those that can be there physically I can provide food, drinks, beer, etc.  And those remote just join in remotely via our Zoom links.

Ken Auenson, II

Mar 25, 2019, 1:18:28 PM3/25/19
to hou...@googlegroups.com
I would be happy to see the group revived with Luis in the lead!

--Ken

James Husum

Mar 25, 2019, 2:02:10 PM3/25/19
to HouCFUG
Reviving the group could be fun, with the caveat that others have provided on finding a common time / place / etc.

I've been out of the programming game for several years now and what I have done is mostly in Python. But I remember the ;glory days' of hanging out with these knuckleheads chatting about code. And I miss all the free pens. :-)

If you get the group resurrected, let me know.

James Husum
The Quixote Project - one guy's quest to make the world a better place -
http://www.thequixoteproject.org/
Brainsludge - Investigating Natural and Artificial Intelligence -
http://www.brainsludge.com/
Currently reading: Bella Rosa by Katharina Gerlach

Bill Mohr

Mar 25, 2019, 3:17:17 PM3/25/19
to Houston ColdFusion Users' Group
I've been lurking on this group for years and haven't ever been active, but I still maintain CF applications and I often appreciate having other CF developers to bounce things off of. I'd be down to become more active if there is such a revival. Also, to Milind's point, I think that most developers these days understand that development vehicles such as CF are just that - vehicles to achieve a particular end. I've been hearing of the death of CF for many years, but find it very easy and useful - much more so than a number of other development vehicles,  At the same time, I'm open to leveraging other vehicles depending upon the situation and needs of the customer / application, etc.

Bill Mohr

Luis Majano

Mar 25, 2019, 4:14:55 PM3/25/19
to hou...@googlegroups.com
Quick poll

Apart From the virtual availability. What physical location would be of preference:

1) the woodlands
2) spring
3) Richmond
4) cypress
5) other?

What day is preferable:
1) Wednesday
2) Thursday

Luis Majano
CEO
Ortus Solutions, Corp

Steve Parks

Mar 25, 2019, 4:28:37 PM3/25/19
to hou...@googlegroups.com
Inner loop

Steve Parks

Saeed Bawaney

Mar 25, 2019, 5:01:47 PM3/25/19
to hou...@googlegroups.com
I’m in Katy, woodlands is an hour away. I’m okay with any of these location depending on frequency of meetings.

-Saeed

Luis Majano

James Husum

Mar 25, 2019, 10:49:23 PM3/25/19
to HouCFUG
The Woodlands and Spring work for me for locations. Thursday would be better than Wednesday as I have several other things that come up on Wednesdays that would be potential conflicts.

Bill Mohr

Mar 26, 2019, 4:11:13 PM3/26/19
to Houston ColdFusion Users' Group
Cypress - Thursday (evening - should involve beer)