SeeFusion or FusionReactor?

Mike G

May 2, 2018, 6:18:14 PM5/2/18
to hou...@googlegroups.com
I am looking for a CF monitor that can help me find the code that is causing memory issues on my production server.

I am getting errors like
Datasource "" cannot be found
Variables.replyemail is not defined

and other errors where data passed into an application scoped cfc is disappearing for no apparent reason.

Anyone have any input on these two products and a suggestion on which one I should be considering?

TIA!

Mike G

Ajas Mohammed

May 2, 2018, 7:16:56 PM5/2/18
to hou...@googlegroups.com
I use FusionReactor and absolutely love it. I call it the GPS of monitoring.

<Ajas Mohammed />
iUseDropbox(http://db.tt/63Lvone9)
http://ajashadi.blogspot.com
We cannot become what we need to be, remaining what we are.
No matter what, find a way. Because thats what winners do.
You can't improve what you don't measure.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Steve Parks

May 2, 2018, 7:23:23 PM5/2/18
to hou...@googlegroups.com
I also use it. Definitely good for tracking down unreported bugs. Sometimes a bit cryptic because of information overload but I wouldn’t be without it.

Steve Parks

Seth Bienek

May 3, 2018, 8:23:25 AM5/3/18
to hou...@googlegroups.com

FusionReactor has been instrumental in helping us to track down performance bottlenecks and stay on top of the health of our instances.

Steve’s right about the information overload, it can be overwhelming, but Charlie Arehart has some excellent free videos on the YouTube showing how to get started with the tool.

Take Care,

Seth

The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged, confidential, and/or protected from disclosure. This e-mail message may contain protected health information (PHI); dissemination of PHI should comply with applicable federal and state laws. If you are not the intended recipient, or an authorized representative of the intended recipient, any further review, disclosure, use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message or any attachment (or the information contained therein) is strictly prohibited. If you think that you have received this e-mail message in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete all references to it and its contents from your systems.

charlie arehart

May 3, 2018, 11:44:54 AM5/3/18
to hou...@googlegroups.com

Thanks, Seth. A few thoughts on all this.

1) First, while folks might find the videos by searching youtube, you can find them all listed at the FR webinars site: fusion-reactor.com/webinars.

2) And yes, clearly I love FR. But I have helped people using SF or the CF monitor over the years, or even other Java APM monitors. All that said, I tend to find FR helps solves more problems more effectively than any other tool.

3) But back to Mike’s original challenges, I will say something perhaps a bit discouraging: none of the tools would readily help find the specific cause of those particular errors. Now, you I know you associate them with “memory”, and FR’s Ultimate edition especially has some compelling heap analysis tools.

But I would propose that if a variable does not exist, that’s most likely a logic error. And in my experience, when those “disappear” unexpectedly, it’s because of some unexpected logic causing it (like race conditions or try/catch processing or cflock failures that are ignored), and they may happen not in the code you’re looking at but in some higher level application.cfc/cfm (or a CFC executed or file included).

And as if those are not “obvious” enough, things can be still more subtle.  For instance, you show some variables missing in the variables scope. And one may think “well, that can’t be a race condition, because that’s about shared variable scopes and another request stepping on variables shared with another request). But you may have assign those “local” variables from a shared variable (session, application, server), such as by copying the entire scope (or looping over it to get what the scope had, and putting it in a more local scope). But the problem may have been that the variable you are now expecting to exist locally did not exist when things were copied over from the shared scope.

Or worse, as some will know, when you assign variables from one scope to another in CF, if the variables copies are complex (structs, arrays, etc.), then they are “copied by reference” (not “by value”), and a change in one causes a change in the other!

So you really need to track down WHEN the missing variables went missing, and then you’ll likely find out “why”.

4) I will add that FR Ultimate can also help there as it has a step debugging feature, where you could step through code (set breakpoints or step line at a time) and watch variables at each point. With that, you could find when variables “changed”.

And note that while CFBuilder has a step debugger (which many have a heck of a time getting to work, and which has left a bad taste in the mouths of many about step debugging of CFML), the debugger in FR does NOT require using ANY editor (nor does it require use of RDS). It’s all done in the web UI of FR, meaning both setting the breakpoints and intercepting requests, stepping through code, watching vars, and more.

And it also has built-in protections that even make it safe to use in production. See a webinar (and other youtube videos) I did on that, for more.

Hope that helps.

/charlie

PS I can also be hired to work remotely to help folks use FR or any CF monitoring tools, or troubleshoot any CF problems. I have no minimum time, and I offer a satisfaction guarantee—you won’t pay for time you don’t find valuable. Finally, I don’t need you to open firewall holes or give me remote access, but instead we would use any of many available scrensharing solutions, where I would “watch over your shoulder”. For more on my approach, rates, that guarantee and more, see www.carehart.org/consulting. Pardon that “sales pitch”. Note I added it as a PS, to help those it may help, and hopefully not offend too much those who would take it that way.