Reviving the Revival

residentgrey

Dec 15, 2009, 9:10:58 PM12/15/09
to Home of the Underdogs Revival Project
Thought I would let you know what's up. Yes this group is pretty damn
dead. I want to change that. Anyone currently involved with a portion
of the tasks before us sees this. EMAIL ME! I am NOT requesting. This
site meant a lot to many people and it deserves to be completed. I
have asked a few people to come in and help out as well. We all play
one of the games hosted on the HOTU site called Allegience. My plan is
to see if my guys can get some things started on this site. I think
once things get organized, that the maximum time till deployment will
be about a month.

More to follow.

Siddhartha Kasivajhula

Dec 15, 2009, 9:22:29 PM12/15/09
to hotu-r...@googlegroups.com
Hi residentgrey,
You can count me on board. I would like to work on making an archive of computer software, of which of course, games will be a large and important subset. In the near future, when everything moves to the cloud and virtualization becomes a commodity (you would be able to use a Virtual Machine of any kind (Win95, DOS, etc.) and pay for usage by the hour).. I think once this happens, it will become relevant to have an archive of all computer software ever developed, because then, we will be able to run any software by just loading it in the VM that will run it. In fact, we could have it integrated into the site -- just click "launch this software" and it will load the relevant VM, launch the software, and charge your "cloud account" (the VM provider would do that -- we would still be not-for-profit). I think this can become a major initiative which could in importance rank up there near Wikipedia, Project Gutenberg, ...

And anyway, without debating the precise implementation of this, I do believe that such an archive would be important and necessary. If you are interested in going in this direction, then I will be glad to assist in whatever small way I can. Thanks for taking the lead on this!

-Sid

Andrew Armstrong

Dec 16, 2009, 8:24:00 AM12/16/09
to hotu-r...@googlegroups.com
You two realise that there are, in fact, efforts that have used the data and have posted here requesting help already, and that the HotU was not primarily a download site and was in a grey-area due to copyright law.

Not to say I'd not like a complete archive of every piece of software ever made, but legally that's utterly impossible, nevermind costly ;)

Perhaps offer help to the existing projects?

Andrew

Daniel Habib

Dec 16, 2009, 8:31:10 AM12/16/09
to hotu-r...@googlegroups.com
Why doesnt somebody go ahead and organize a domain, we agree on a CMS (NOT joomla) preferably Drupal or something, get a makeshift site up, setup the upload and forum, and then see where it to goes from there, this email group will never amount to much, setup a domain, give me ftp access, and I will setup CMS, my vacation starts after tomorrow, so I will have free time.  more doing, less emailing. Maybe someone here has a server?

Daniel Habib

Dec 16, 2009, 8:33:28 AM12/16/09
to hotu-r...@googlegroups.com

2009/12/16 Daniel Habib <daniel....@googlemail.com>

Why doesnt somebody go ahead and organize a domain, we agree on a CMS (NOT joomla) preferably Drupal or something, get a makeshift site up, setup the upload and forum, and then see where it to goes from there, this email group will never amount to much, setup a domain, give me ftp access, and I will setup CMS, my vacation starts after tomorrow, so I will have free time.  more doing, less emailing. Maybe someone here has a server?

everyone is just talkin about the archive, back up, and start with the platform, if its setup right, people can upload at the own leisure, and with copyrighted stuff, maybe there can be an admin that license checks everything, I doubt there will loads of uploads at first,

Trixter

Dec 16, 2009, 1:43:31 PM12/16/09
On Dec 15, 8:10 pm, residentgrey <residentg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thought I would let you know what's up. Yes this group is pretty damn
> dead. I want to change that. Anyone currently involved with a portion
> of the tasks before us sees this. EMAIL ME! I am NOT requesting. This
> site meant a lot to many people and it deserves to be completed.

I was under the impression that there were two sites that sprang up,
one of which still had the software. If that is the case, what is
there to continue? (I'm not trolling, I'm being honest)

residentgrey

Dec 17, 2009, 1:31:03 AM12/17/09
to Home of the Underdogs Revival Project
I had space since the beginning, more so now. I DONT have the old csv
in a workable and more organized form to plug into a SQL db. I DONT
have the files for this, as others were pushing their different
avenues and I don't double effort.

What I don't have also are the funds for the domain yet. going to most
likely use the old domain as it's most likely open again.

IF the database is an issue, what about making it more user driven
this time. Let the public tell you what is an underdog. You (team) can
work on the old db as you see fit while you get new data from what has
come out in the past few years, as well as some hits from the indie
industry that deserve more attention. That was also an aspect of the
site anyway.

Look up gog.com for links to some of those underdogs as they are for
sale there for cheap as well as good old mobygames and the other sites
out there. This will take I'd say two months after the systems are set
up to be pretty well set.

Look up Lepton-PHP for a framework/CMS for the site. My friend is
developing it, it's fully functional already and infinitely
extensible. I am in fact slated to dev the shopping cart section of
it.

More to follow.