Hotud.org

Lord_Pall

Jun 6, 2009, 12:21:39 AM6/6/09
to Home of the Underdogs Revival Project
Is still rolling if anyone comes by here and wants to get involved.
Drop me a mail.

Melissa Seims

Jun 6, 2009, 10:44:03 AM6/6/09
to hotu-r...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I would like to help but can you point me to a current list of needed games. I don't want to reupload stuff you already have. I mainly have adventures so I wondered if anyone was dealing specifically with that genre?

Cheers!
Melissa

Lord_Pall

Jun 6, 2009, 9:57:05 PM6/6/09
to Home of the Underdogs Revival Project
I'm working on matching up the missing files so i can post a list.
Right now, it's a pretty sure bet that anything that isn't ms-dos is
not available. I did a batch pass on the dos stuff a week or so ago so
that's mostly covered...

Lord_Pall

Jun 7, 2009, 1:08:37 PM6/7/09
to Home of the Underdogs Revival Project
Oh yeah, I'm migrating to a new server, so gimme 24-48 hours or so.

Lord_Pall

Jun 10, 2009, 10:47:14 PM6/10/09
to Home of the Underdogs Revival Project
Okay I'm completely migrated to a great big shiny server.

Troy Martin

Jun 17, 2009, 12:52:55 AM6/17/09
to Home of the Underdogs Revival Project
The site seems to be quite slow - even website-wise. I would hope the
download servers will be faster than the site :) I really want to grab
a copy of Freespace 2 without getting five million viruses.

--Troy

Troy Martin

Jun 17, 2009, 12:58:35 AM6/17/09
to Home of the Underdogs Revival Project
On a side note, where are we going to host all the game downloads? My
personal favourite host frowns upon warez, so I can't host them :|

Siddhartha Kasivajhula

Jun 17, 2009, 2:18:18 AM6/17/09
to hotu-r...@googlegroups.com
"warez" traditionally refers to files that are illegal, or not officially condoned in any way... all files on HOTU have been released to the public domain and are completely legal. just clarifying...

Andrew Armstrong

Jun 17, 2009, 4:32:30 AM6/17/09
to hotu-r...@googlegroups.com
Um, are you entirely sure? Abandonware isn't legal, I've had no pretences saying that.

Andrew

Siddhartha Kasivajhula

Jun 17, 2009, 4:37:26 AM6/17/09
to hotu-r...@googlegroups.com
oh really?? i was under the impression that it was. why isn't it legal?

Andrew Armstrong

Jun 17, 2009, 4:39:44 AM6/17/09
to hotu-r...@googlegroups.com
Unless the original author(s) are sought out for permission or give it themselves to release the game, then technically the items are still under normal copyright.

For some actual legitimately free games, check here: http://liberatedgames.com

Abandonware sites usually work on the principle of "It's ignored now by the publishers, and no one cares" coupled with "We'll take it down if someone asks".

There are also orphaned works - ones where it is hard to track down the rights of anyway, which are always a pain.

Andrew

Maedi Prichard

Jun 17, 2009, 6:52:27 AM6/17/09
to hotu-r...@googlegroups.com
""It's ignored now by the publishers, and no one cares" coupled with "We'll take it down if someone asks"."

So it's never legal but it's in the vain of 'freedom of speech' if you will?

Troy Martin

Jun 17, 2009, 7:08:00 PM6/17/09
to Home of the Underdogs Revival Project
> So it's never legal but it's in the vain of 'freedom of speech' if you will?

Let's just go with that :)

"free speech" reminds me of the GPL, which, IMHO, isn't really free.

David Ryskalczyk

Jun 17, 2009, 7:43:45 PM6/17/09
to hotu-r...@googlegroups.com
well GPL is free as long as you don't make it non-free. It ensures
that some software won't become non-free [unless the copyright owner
himself decides do make it such].
But that's a completely different issue that doesn't belong here.