Missing Game Files

Walter

May 8, 2009, 9:09:40 AM5/8/09
to Home of the Underdogs Revival Project
Hi all,

Back online after moving from China to London. What a change!

Since I'm still getting set up here I won't have a lot of time to
spend on
HOTU immediately but I'm at least available to participate again and
can keep plodding forward with database improvement efforts until
I find more time.

Some good news: during the downtime I managed to acquire a torrent
file with many of the HOTU DOS games, though unfortunately many
are still missing.

In total, 2438 game files referenced in the database were present, and
1922 are still missing.

The list of missing game files is available here:
http://hotu.pratyeka.org/missing-game-files.csv

It would be great if someone else could step forward to manage
collecting
as many of those again as possible (maybe put them in a google docs
spreadsheet or something), plus perform any testing, virus scanning,
etc. that may be necessary. That way we can at least get that aspect
moving forward in a manner that can involve everyone, without having
wait for a finished website.

On the DB, I'll definitely release my version of the reconstructed
database
as creative commons once I have it in a stable / correct state. This
will
take awhile though as I have made quite a number of changes/
improvements such as proper platform breakdowns, improved related-file
classification, etc. that will be useful going forward.

- Walter

MithrilForge

May 8, 2009, 3:21:32 PM5/8/09
to hotu-r...@googlegroups.com
Welcome back, Walter!

I think that things could start moving again on summer. Dan and Andrew
confirmed me that they're will be busy until that time.

I'll make a peek on what I have stored with the CSV file and I'll send
you what could I gather around my backups.

See you,
Nacho

Drest

May 8, 2009, 10:34:21 PM5/8/09
to Home of the Underdogs Revival Project
hi, i have a couple of games in that list, discworld1&2, loom (with
musics), summer and winter challenge.
what should i do with those? :)

Pilot_51

May 8, 2009, 11:06:52 PM5/8/09
to Home of the Underdogs Revival Project
I have several that are listed as missing:
Captain Comic (captcomic.zip)
CD-Man (cdman.zip)
Comet Busters! (Install.exe; available on the official developer site
at http://fasterlight.com/hugg/projects/cometbusters.html)
Plane Crazy (planecrazy.zip)
Rollcage (burned CD)
Star Trek: The Screensaver (stscreen.zip)
Stunt Driver (Stunt Driver.zip)
System Shock 2 (sysshock2.zip)

All of them I've played and lost many years before coming across HOTU,
except for Rollcage and SS2 which became a favorite because of HOTU.
Of the ones listed above not including Comet Busters! or Rollcage,
they total to 193MB.

Some others I downloaded from HOTU and still have, but aren't listed:
3D Table Sports (3dtable.zip)
Hardwar (hardwar.zip)
House of the Dead 2 (housedead2.zip)

I also have a modified XP-compatibile version of the Johnny Castaway
Screen Antics screensaver, which is listed. Loads of information as
well as downloads can be found at http://www.gnudawn.co.uk/johnny/

Original games I own that are listed:
Eradicator (CD only)
F-19 Stealth Fighter (box, floppy, manual)
Motorhead (OEM CD only)
SimEarth (box, CD, manual; 1997 CD-ROM Classics version)

I think that's most of it, but I'll let you know if I find anything
else. I probably have a few more old games laying around that I'll
need to check.

Just let me know how you want them transferred and I'll get them to
you or whoever. FYI I have web hosting that I can use which would
probably be the most convenient for both of us.

quaz

May 9, 2009, 4:40:19 AM5/9/09
to Home of the Underdogs Revival Project
I have several of the missing games as originals somewhere in my
apartment.

After a quick look through the list, I could make cd images at least
of the following:

Mission Critical
Normality
Renegade: Legion Interceptor

Porrasturvat (Stair dismount) can be downloaded from
http://secretexit.com/freeware/stairdismount
And Rekkaturvat (Truck dismount) can be downloaded from
http://secretexit.com/freeware/truckdismount

Also, I noticed a lot of familiar names I'm quite certain I have
somewhere in my archives. Back in 2002 or so someone made a five (or
six) cd compilation called "The Abandoned Archives" for p2p
distribution, and I recall the disks having a lot of titles from the
list of the missing ones.

Anyone want to set an FTP server for me to dump these games to?

MathewC

May 10, 2009, 10:59:41 AM5/10/09
to Home of the Underdogs Revival Project
I too have a ton of games that I downloaded and burned onto CDs from
before the original HOTU site went down including pretty much all of
the Wing Commander games that were on there. Let me know where we can
begin to send these.

On May 9, 3:40 am, quaz <juha.ekh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have several of the missing games as originals somewhere in my
> apartment.
>
> After a quick look through the list, I could make cd images at least
> of the following:
>
> Mission Critical
> Normality
> Renegade: Legion Interceptor
>
> Porrasturvat (Stair dismount) can be downloaded fromhttp://secretexit.com/freeware/stairdismount
> And Rekkaturvat (Truck dismount) can be downloaded fromhttp://secretexit.com/freeware/truckdismount

Daniel Habib

May 10, 2009, 11:13:13 AM5/10/09
to hotu-r...@googlegroups.com
MathewC schrieb:
> Sweet, people are actually active here(sry just signed in) I dont have too many game files, but I can locate many hits and have a few still on cd like Outpost which is a little later, I still have Dune on disk too, just have to find a floppy drive...lol. This is gonna be so cool, so exciting it is! A chance and reason to experience a blast from the past. These games were more then just games, they incorporated the attitudes and humor of programmers at the time which is responsible for everything today. I wish I could go back...

Daniel Habib

May 10, 2009, 11:19:32 AM5/10/09
to hotu-r...@googlegroups.com
MathewC schrieb:
and just think of the friends everyone involved will make, jeez, I'm
such a geek.

Daniel Habib

May 10, 2009, 4:38:21 PM5/10/09
to hotu-r...@googlegroups.com
MathewC schrieb:
Also have the police quest collection if needed.

David Ryskalczyk

May 10, 2009, 4:43:18 PM5/10/09
to hotu-r...@googlegroups.com
I'd have you ftp them to macintosh garden, but there's little room
left on the server for CD images.
I have my own system, but it would be best if I could ftp into another
machine and 'get' the files. Not sure when I'd be able to get them up
though.

--Dave

residentgrey

May 11, 2009, 2:36:07 PM5/11/09
to Home of the Underdogs Revival Project
In terms of storage I have plenty of it. After a few things are
complete, I'll have an upload script on there, unless someone has a
readymade one they can send me to make things quicker. I don't care
about looks at all, just function.

Daniel Habib

May 11, 2009, 2:49:33 PM5/11/09
to hotu-r...@googlegroups.com
residentgrey schrieb:
I'll write you an upload script in PHP, I already have one, justhave to
modify it from images to files, the rest is already done, send it to you
by thursday if thats alright, I need to finish the contract I am working
on right now, month and halfs work just about wrapped up!

quaz

May 12, 2009, 1:10:10 AM5/12/09
to Home of the Underdogs Revival Project
I must say I'd still prefer a direct FTP (or SCP) transfer, with a
resume capability to ensure that in the unfortunate event of a network
hiccup, there's no need to restart uploading a 600MB CD image. Unless
of course you can code such a resume function in your script as well,
heh...

-q

On May 11, 9:49 pm, Daniel Habib <daniel.habi...@googlemail.com>

residentgrey

May 12, 2009, 11:16:41 AM5/12/09
to Home of the Underdogs Revival Project
Ok I'll email you an ftp. Does anyone know how to limit the access to
just the folder I have it point to?

Daniel Habib

May 12, 2009, 12:55:29 PM5/12/09
to hotu-r...@googlegroups.com
quaz schrieb:
Well, you definately have a point, however.... how many games can you
think of back then that were 600 mb large? An FTP is definately the
safer way to if not always the most convenient ;). You guys say, i dunno
nuttin.

Daniel Habib

May 12, 2009, 1:13:01 PM5/12/09
to hotu-r...@googlegroups.com
residentgrey schrieb:
> Ok I'll email you an ftp. Does anyone know how to limit the access to
> just the folder I have it point to?
> > yess

change that folders rights to 777

but keep its parents folder rights at default read only.

Brian Racer

May 12, 2009, 1:53:44 PM5/12/09
to hotu-r...@googlegroups.com
I also have an FTP server setup some people have been using:

This is an account that has upload permissions

ftp.underdogged.com
user: underdog1
pass: und3rdogger

If you want to browse other's files(read only):

ftp.underdogged.com
user: hotu_files
pass: hotu!files

If someone wants to mirror this I would appreciate being told first as I have more efficient ways than FTP that you can grab all of this.

Any other questions just email, gtalk, or aim(BrianTheFlyboy) me!

Brian

Walter

May 12, 2009, 5:24:31 PM5/12/09
to hotu-r...@googlegroups.com
Just for reference: please upload files under the same filename
that is listed in the 'missing' list, otherwise it will be a pain to
try to reconnect the missing files with the database.

Thanks everyone!

- Walter

wisewoman

May 17, 2009, 8:45:39 AM5/17/09
to Home of the Underdogs Revival Project
Hello there,

I just thought I would take a peek at my old favourite site HOTU to
see whether it had finally been updated and lo and behold i discover a
new site and this newsgroup!

I was a huge fan of HOTU and a a huge adventure gamer and have avidly
collected adventure games for over 15 years and literally have
thousands. I would love to be able to reupload some of the old rips /
iso's that the HOTU once had and that I have copies of. They will all
mainly be from the adventure category, is there anyone coordinating
the adventure section? If so can they please get in touch!

So what happened to the Thai guy who originally did this wonderful
site, is he back onboard as well? Can someone point me to the post
with the hard and fast lowdown on how this amazing site has been
reborn?

Also are you lot on here the same lot that are on the new HOTU forum
and if so , would it be better for me to post this there?

Cheers,

wisewoman

Drest

May 17, 2009, 11:03:16 AM5/17/09
to Home of the Underdogs Revival Project
http://www.fringer.org/?p=416#more-416

And the "Thai guy" was a Lady ;D

Melissa Seims

May 17, 2009, 11:28:19 AM5/17/09
to hotu-r...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

Thanks for the link! Now let me grovel for getting the HOTU maker's sex wrong... *grovel*

I do hope i can contribute something to the project, its all just taking me back years in a rather pleasant way. All those battles with emulators and windows 95 to get some of those oldies  like Blue Ice working.... agghhh, all good wonderful stuff ....

:-)

Melissa