Gamebooks status

The Fifth Horseman

Mar 8, 2009, 9:14:51 AM3/8/09
to Home of the Underdogs Revival Project
Hi, I promised to update you on the status of the gamebook archive...
just finished checking it, and it has all but three. The missing ones
are:
* Real Life Gamebooks #2: The Last Invasion - 1066
* TutorText on Nutritional Cooking
* Soundway to Reading - Which Way Books #2
Out of which, I'm pretty sure I'll have a copy of Real Life Gamebook
#2 pretty soon.

One difference is that the ones I have were renamed to descriptive
names instead of the abbreviated ones that were used on Home of the
Underdogs.

Also, a note about the gamebooks pack posted by Sarinee not long ago:
There are four gamebooks in it that never were present on HotU, far as
I can tell. These are "Proteus" #16, "Virtual Reality Adventure" #1-2
and "The Voice".
Just FYI.

Eumel

Mar 8, 2009, 12:31:45 PM3/8/09
to Home of the Underdogs Revival Project
> * TutorText on Nutritional Cooking

This one's actually in the hotu-docs.rar, with the filename
tutortext.pdf

Sarinee Achavanuntakul

Mar 8, 2009, 12:41:00 PM3/8/09
to hotu-r...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, those four "extra" gamebooks were the ones I planned (years ago!) to uploading, but never managed :)

If anyone wants to continue scanning & making PDFs of gamebooks, let me know. I still have dozens of them here, lying quietly in a box :)

Sarinee

Dan Rubenfield

Mar 8, 2009, 12:43:48 PM3/8/09
to hotu-r...@googlegroups.com
I wonder if it's possible to take the high res pdf's and turn them
into browsable html as well as the pdf sources. It's something I'd
like to look into for adding "real" manual scans for everything..

rikker

Mar 9, 2009, 4:12:22 AM3/9/09
to Home of the Underdogs Revival Project
> If anyone wants to continue scanning & making PDFs of gamebooks, let me
> know. I still have dozens of them here, lying quietly in a box :)

Sarinee, I take it you're in BKK? I am, too. I can help scan gamebooks
(and other document digitization -- box covers, etc). Also, you
mentioned in the blog post archive CDs scattered around the house.
Would you like help transferring the contents of those onto hard disk
and/or DVD? I'd love to help. ยินดีช่วยจริงๆ :)

Rikker

Lord_Pall

Mar 9, 2009, 11:06:50 AM3/9/09
to Home of the Underdogs Revival Project
Re - Scans..

I was thinking about this.. what's the best way to make extremely high
res representations of a classic game?

High def scans of everything? Box pictures? 3d Scans for feelies?

When does it cross the line from archival to gimmick? (I think 3d
scans of feelies do that, but a 3d box might not.. dunno)

Hell, images of the disks and advertisement material to be truly
thorough.

Top of my head the image content per game

Game image (to run)
Pictures of media and media case
High res scan/pdf of manual
High res pictures of box
High res scan of front and back of box
Images of Feelies from 2-3 distinct angles
High res scans of any unique marketing materials
Thumbnail of box for listings
Screenshot or 3 for listings.

Just thinking about how to go from a clean box/disc set into something
that is considered truly "archived".

The Fifth Horseman

Mar 10, 2009, 1:17:23 PM3/10/09
to Home of the Underdogs Revival Project
Here is the compilation: http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4761233
With exception of "Soundway to Reading - Which Way Books #2", all
gamebooks present and accounted for.

Daxeria

Apr 3, 2009, 11:31:49 PM4/3/09
to Home of the Underdogs Revival Project
> With exception of "Soundway to
> Reading - Which Way Books #2", all
> gamebooks present and accounted for.

The missing gamebook was indexed by Wayback Machine at one point, but
asking for it yields a "Data Retrieval Failure."

http://web.archive.org/*/http://www.the-underdogs.org/extras/gamebooks/whichway2aud.zip

At least we have a filename to look for.

Dax