Prove if A and B are sets, then A = B is also a set

u594...@gmail.com

Mar 15, 2019, 8:08:32 AM3/15/19
to HoTT Cafe
I remember we have used this result in multiple places in the book, but no proof is found. I am struggling on proving it. It confuses me for some time. Could someone here please help with this?

We may try proving A \simeq B is a set, but it still leads me nowhere.

Cory Knapp

Mar 15, 2019, 8:19:32 AM3/15/19
to u594...@gmail.com, HoTT Cafe
A sketch is as follows:

A=B is equivalent to A~B by univalence, and this is a subtype of A->B, since isEquiv is a proposition. If B is a set, then for any type A, the type A->B is also a set.

On Fri, Mar 15, 2019, 12:08 <u594...@gmail.com> wrote:
I remember we have used this result in multiple places in the book, but no proof is found. I am struggling on proving it. It confuses me for some time. Could someone here please help with this?

We may try proving A \simeq B is a set, but it still leads me nowhere.

Ali Caglayan

Mar 15, 2019, 8:25:44 AM3/15/19
to Cory Knapp, HoTT Cafe, u594...@gmail.com
Can this be done without univalence?

Cory Knapp

Mar 15, 2019, 8:50:54 AM3/15/19
to Ali Caglayan, HoTT Cafe, u594...@gmail.com
You certainly need function extensionality, and maybe proposition extensionality. But with some care the same argument goes through (using instead that A=B is a subtype of A~B)---I can't see the details will enough to know if propext is needed without working out the argument more precisely.

Michael Shulman

Mar 15, 2019, 9:33:55 AM3/15/19
to Cory Knapp, Ali Caglayan, HoTT Cafe, u594...@gmail.com
I wouldn't expect there is any way to prove much of anything about
A=B for types A,B without using univalence. Why do you say that A=B
is a subtype of A~B?

Anders Mortberg

Mar 15, 2019, 10:05:34 AM3/15/19
to u594...@gmail.com, Cory Knapp, Ali Caglayan, HoTT Cafe, Michael Shulman
Just a minor remark: we only need to use that A=B is a retract of A~B
to prove this.

I believe this is equivalent to the standard formulation of
univalence, but in a system like cubical type theory it is a little
easier to construct a term for this retraction than constructing a
term for the standard formulation of univalence so I prefer using this
formulation of univalence for this proof.

--
Anders

Yiming Xu

Mar 15, 2019, 8:22:08 PM3/15/19