HP7+ - too long sentence in jmatch

Rodolphe Maurel

Feb 6, 2021, 9:38:43 AM2/6/21
to hotpotatoesusers
Hello,
I've noticed a little bug that only occurs in Firefox (on mine anyway).
If the sentence is too long, the height does not adapt to the content.
Works fine on Chrome though.
Have a nice week-end

Fernanda Rodrigues

Feb 6, 2021, 10:44:20 AM2/6/21
to hotpotatoesusers

Hi Rodolphe
I see exactly the same thing in both browsers, and both have the same behaviour if I enlarge or shrink the browser window.
Windows 10, Firefox and Chrome.

Cheers
Fernanda

Fernanda Rodrigues <m.f.d.r...@gmail.com>

Rodolphe Maurel

Feb 6, 2021, 11:13:32 AM2/6/21
to Fernanda Rodrigues, hotpotatoesusers
Thx Fernanda.
This is what I get (3rd box, the word "relation" is hardly visible), but glad to know it's ok on other's Firefox

image.png

Martin Holmes

Feb 6, 2021, 12:23:58 PM2/6/21
to hotpotat...@googlegroups.com
As you say, it looks like a Firefox rendering bug. I don't know that we
can do anything about it, to be honest.

Cheers,
Martin

On 2021-02-06 6:38 a.m., Rodolphe Maurel wrote:
> Hello,
> I've noticed a little bug that only occurs in Firefox (on mine anyway).
> http://www2.soundguideweb.com/comparatif/themore_comp.htm
> If the sentence is too long, the height does not adapt to the content.
> Works fine on Chrome though.
> Have a nice week-end
> --
> Rodolphe Maurel
> rodolph...@gmail.com <http://rodolphemaurel_at_gmail.com>
> www.soundguideweb.com <http://www.soundguideweb.com>
> www.irregularverbsonline.com <http://www.irregularverbsonline.com>

Martin Holmes

Feb 6, 2021, 12:24:57 PM2/6/21
to hotpotat...@googlegroups.com
Ah, if it's in both Chrome and FF, then perhaps there's something we
might be able to work around. Any ideas?

Cheers,
Martin

Fernanda Rodrigues

Feb 6, 2021, 1:54:51 PM2/6/21
to hotpotatoesusers
Hi Rodolphe
This is what I see in my browser, it looks fine:

Fernanda

On Sat, 6 Feb 2021 17:13:20 +0100
--
Fernanda Rodrigues <m.f.d.r...@gmail.com>

Rodolphe Maurel

Feb 6, 2021, 2:09:45 PM2/6/21
to hotpotatoesusers
That's an amazing bug.
Firefox
Display with 90% zoom -> fine
100% zoom -> bug
110% -> fine
above -> fine

Chrome
bug at 90%
other settings -> fine

Agnès S.

Feb 6, 2021, 2:56:31 PM2/6/21
to hotpotat...@googlegroups.com
Oh Andrew's bug is back again!

It was a bug Andrew pointed at in May 2019 with version 7.0 Release 0
Build 25.
http://lpae002.free.fr/hack_hotpot/HP7/JM70025_test_andrew.htm
https://www.languagesonline.org.uk/HotPot7Testing/U2/51.htm

Correct or incorrect with Firefox or Chrome depending on the zoom.

It was, and still is, erratic as you all mention.

Then Martin said:
"Now, if I switch the font to Times, the problem goes away.
So I think the problem is most likely that the Trebuchet font (or
whatever ends up being used in the cards on Windows) is slightly broken
in some way that leads to layout issues. You might just want to pick a
different font. I don't think it's anything we'll ever be able to fix in
Hot Potatoes."

But Andrew added:
"I've just had a play with changing the type face (Arial, Times New
Roman) and to be honest, it doesn't really make much difference.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, just as before."

We made a lot of tests but it was so erratic that it led to nothing.

Sorry, it doesn't help.
Cheers,
Agnès S.

Le 06/02/2021 à 20:09, Rodolphe Maurel a écrit :
> That's an amazing bug.
> Firefox
> Display with 90% zoom -> fine
> 100% zoom -> bug
> 110% -> fine
> above -> fine
>
> Chrome
> bug at 90%
> other settings -> fine
>
> Le sam. 6 févr. 2021 à 19:54, Fernanda Rodrigues
> <m.f.d.r...@gmail.com <mailto:m.f.d.r...@gmail.com>> a écrit :
>
> __
> Hi Rodolphe
> This is what I see in my browser, it looks fine:
> https://www.screencast.com/t/biMT6n4yC
> Fernanda
> On Sat, 6 Feb 2021 17:13:20 +0100
> Rodolphe Maurel <rodolph...@gmail.com
> <mailto:rodolph...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Thx Fernanda.
> This is what I get (3rd box, the word "relation" is hardly
> visible), but glad to know it's ok on other's Firefox
>
> image.png
>
> Le sam. 6 févr. 2021 à 16:44, Fernanda Rodrigues
> <m.f.d.r...@gmail.com <mailto:m.f.d.r...@gmail.com>> a
> écrit :
>
> __
> Hi Rodolphe
> I see exactly the same thing in both browsers, and both have
> the same behaviour if I enlarge or shrink the browser window.
> Windows 10, Firefox and Chrome.
> Cheers
> Fernanda
> On Sat, 6 Feb 2021 15:38:30 +0100
> Rodolphe Maurel <rodolph...@gmail.com
> <mailto:rodolph...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Hello,
> I've noticed a little bug that only occurs in Firefox
> (on mine anyway).
> http://www2.soundguideweb.com/comparatif/themore_comp.htm
> If the sentence is too long, the height does not adapt
> [...]

Martin Holmes

Feb 6, 2021, 3:28:03 PM2/6/21
to hotpotat...@googlegroups.com
I guess the moral is: don't use long sentences in drag-drop JMatch. :-)

Cheers,
Martin

Agnès S.

Feb 6, 2021, 5:12:15 PM2/6/21
to hotpotat...@googlegroups.com
Hi Martin,

Searching through the old yahoo posts I've discovered that you solved
the problem in version 7.0 Release 0 Build 29. You wrote:
"I'm pretty sure this is caused by the browser layout engine reporting
the wrong width/height for the card when my code is trying to find out
how big it is
/.../
I think the approach I'm going to take is to try adding a little bit of
extra 10px of width to the default width of cards before I use it; that
way, if the browser reports with x, but then when it lays out the text
it finds it needs width x + 5px, there will still be enough space to lay
out the text without wrapping. That's my working theory, anyway."

That's what is done on line 353 in djmatch7.js_ for HP7:
CurrCard.style.width = (WidestRight + 10) + 'px';

And I can see in djmatch7.js_ for HP7+, on line 432:
// modification by AS

//CurrCard.style.width = (WidestRight + 10) + 'px';

CurrCard.style.width = (WidestRight + 0) + 'px';

Clearly I tried to suppress these 10px because I didn't understand why
they were there (and why 10?). And I omitted to get back to the original
version.

Rodolphe, could you try to recreate your exercise after having modified
djmatch7.js_(for HP7+):
// modification by AS
//CurrCard.style.width = (WidestRight + 0) + 'px';
CurrCard.style.width = (WidestRight + 10) + 'px';

Cheers,
Agnès S.

Rodolphe Maurel

Feb 6, 2021, 5:28:34 PM2/6/21
to agnes...@gmail.com, hotpotatoesusers

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hotpotatoesusers/c7ec1357-069c-36ff-b110-6f7935b62081%40gmail.com.

Martin Holmes

Feb 6, 2021, 7:02:06 PM2/6/21
to hotpotat...@googlegroups.com
Hi Agnès,

I should hire you to play the role of my memory, since it is getting
very lazy these days. :-)

Thanks for figuring this out. I thought it rang a bell, but I couldn't
remember the discussion.

I don't think there's any specific reason for the 10px; I probably just
tried a few different numbers and 10 seemed to work best.

Cheers,
Martin

Martin Holmes

Feb 6, 2021, 7:03:54 PM2/6/21
to hotpotat...@googlegroups.com
Ça marche!

On 2021-02-06 2:28 p.m., Rodolphe Maurel wrote:
> Where do I add it? Anywhere?
> [...]

Agnès S.

Feb 7, 2021, 1:59:41 AM2/7/21
to hotpotat...@googlegroups.com
Ça ne marche pas...

Le 07/02/2021 à 01:03, Martin Holmes a écrit :
> Ça marche!

rodolphe_bug.png

Rodolphe Maurel

Feb 7, 2021, 3:41:35 AM2/7/21
to agnes...@gmail.com, hotpotatoesusers
Je confirme, ça ne marche pas...
Bonne journée.

pascal scalpa

Feb 7, 2021, 5:12:52 AM2/7/21
to hotpotatoesusers

Qu'elles sont les résolutions d'écran de chacun?
En ce qui me concerne 1920x1080 pas de bug sous FF et Edge.

Agnès S.

Feb 7, 2021, 5:25:36 AM2/7/21
to hotpotat...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rodolphe,
It's not working because in your file themore_comp.htm you still have
CurrCard.style.width = (WidestRight + 0) + 'px';

Could you try with:
http://hpaddons.free.fr/provisoire/andrew_rodolphe_bug/djmatch7.js_

My tests:
* 'with CurrCard.style.width = (WidestRight + 10) + 'px';)

http://hpaddons.free.fr/provisoire/andrew_rodolphe_bug/demo_with_10.htm
It works.

* (with CurrCard.style.width = (WidestRight + 0) + 'px';)
http://hpaddons.free.fr/provisoire/andrew_rodolphe_bug/demo_with_0.htm
It doesn't work.

Cheers,
Agnès S.

Le 07/02/2021 à 09:41, Rodolphe Maurel a écrit :
> Je confirme, ça ne marche pas...
> Bonne journée.
>
> Le dim. 7 févr. 2021 à 07:59, Agnès S. <agnes...@gmail.com
> <mailto:agnes...@gmail.com>> a écrit :
>
> Ça ne marche pas...
>
> Le 07/02/2021 à 01:03, Martin Holmes a écrit :
> > Ça marche!
> >

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hotpotatoesusers/af401aa3-b678-ad22-2118-10913a805791%40gmail.com.
>

> --
> Rodolphe Maurel
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hotpotatoesusers/CAHebQp_auSTtagZ7BnEuwyHq28vdqV2xRLP_tdNkXBwLYW0r4Q%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hotpotatoesusers/CAHebQp_auSTtagZ7BnEuwyHq28vdqV2xRLP_tdNkXBwLYW0r4Q%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Agnès S.

Feb 7, 2021, 5:30:52 AM2/7/21
to hotpotat...@googlegroups.com

Agnès S.

Feb 7, 2021, 5:37:37 AM2/7/21
to hotpotat...@googlegroups.com
Sorry : 1680x1050

Agnès S.

Rodolphe Maurel

Feb 7, 2021, 6:16:30 AM2/7/21
to agnes...@gmail.com, hotpotatoesusers
Hi Agnès,
Much better indeed on both browsers.
Thx

Agnès S.

Feb 7, 2021, 6:56:41 AM2/7/21
to Rodolphe Maurel, hotpotatoesusers
So Martin' solution is OK.
And now I know why he added these 10 pixels.
I will upload a version 1.0.2 of HP7+.

Thanks.
Agnès S.

Martin Holmes