J Match Not Working with Moodle

Sean B.

Jun 29, 2024, 3:32:48 PMJun 29
to hotpotatoesusers
Hi! I'm using a school webpage called Avenue.ca that's Moodle based. I've used J Match files for a few years to make quick vocabulary review activities. In the last few months, when I make a new Hot Potatoes J Match and upload it, I see this error message on Avenue when trying to use the activity:
Sorry, the HotPot module could not detect the type of the source file: /Testing.jmt
I think the most recent Hot Potatoes update broke something.
If you agree that's possible, please point me in direction of a downgrade - the last version 6, or a version 7 before the most recent one.
Thanks!

Martin Holmes

Jun 29, 2024, 4:29:16 PMJun 29
to hotpotatoesusers
You can take your pick from the old installers here:

Hope this helps,
Martin

Sean B.

Jun 29, 2024, 4:30:19 PMJun 29
to hotpotatoesusers
Thank you! I'll try it out.

Martin Holmes

Jun 29, 2024, 4:31:38 PMJun 29
to hotpotatoesusers
This would be the latest version 6 for Windows:

<https://hotpot.uvic.ca/old_installers/setup_hotpot_6305.exe>

Sean B.

Jun 29, 2024, 4:49:24 PMJun 29
to hotpotatoesusers
Yes! As far as I can tell, no version of Hot Potatoes 7 made matching files work on my school's Moodle-based website Hot Potatoes module. I'm going to ask our tech support to update our activity. In the meantime, I am at least able to use Hot Potatoes 6. Thank you!

Martin Holmes

Jun 29, 2024, 8:12:51 PMJun 29
to hotpotatoesusers
I don't think Gordon Bateson ever finished updating the Moodle plugin to handle HotPot 7 exercises. There is a tracker item for this on the Moodle site:

<https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/CONTRIB-9126>

and the last comment from Gordon was in 2022, when he was working on it, but presumably he's not going to finish it at this point.

Cheers,
Martin