Hot Potatoes pages as web pages on a Google Sites site

Robin Reeves

Feb 25, 2022, 12:00:39 PM2/25/22
to hotpotatoesusers
Hi,

I have created a series of htm files from JMatch and would like to make them available on the web for some students.

I have a Google Mail account so was able to upload them to Google Drive.

I was also able to create a site on Google Sites and by using iframe I was able to embed a link to my Google Drive files.

The files are on the 'HP7-Cars' tab/screen.

However, when I click on any htm files they just show me the Javascript or Java code rather than working as they normally do when I export from JMatch.

Please could anyone tell me what I need to do?

Many thanks,
Robin Reeves

Martin Holmes

Feb 25, 2022, 8:54:27 PM2/25/22
to hotpotat...@googlegroups.com
I think you need an account on a real web server. Does your school have
a web server you could use?

Cheers,
Martin
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hotpotatoesusers/5faf3000-1dd5-4a00-b015-c17ada5b9759n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hotpotatoesusers/5faf3000-1dd5-4a00-b015-c17ada5b9759n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Rodolphe Maurel

Feb 26, 2022, 7:44:41 AM2/26/22
to hotpotatoesusers
Hi,
I don't know if it's similar in your country, but here, our Internet providers can give us some space on a server for free.
Usually, people don't know and never ask.
I get 6 Go for free.
I did a tutorial called "I have a web server that I am not aware of" that explains it.
Unfortunately, it's in French, but you can probably find out if that exists where you are.
Then, a simple Google site is the perfect tool to link to your activities (like mine for instance).
And there are lots of tutorials on how to use Filezilla on Youtube..
Don't hesitate if you have questions.
Hope this helps.

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hotpotatoesusers/338b02c8-4edd-c35f-1fbe-ab3b01c330b6%40halfbakedsoftware.com.

Martin Holmes

Feb 26, 2022, 10:48:44 AM2/26/22
to Robin Reeves, hotpotat...@googlegroups.com
I don't really have any experience to go on there; we run our own
servers at my university, and the two ISPs I'm familiar with myself are
not really worth recommending, unfortunately. Other users may have
suggestions.

Cheers,
Martin

On 2022-02-26 01:49, Robin Reeves wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> Unfortunately no, I 'm not at a school. This is voluntary teaching
> asylum seekers. Can you recommend a Web server that is secure please?
>
> Regards,
> Robin
>
> Get Outlook for Android <https://aka.ms/AAb9ysg>

Fernanda Rodrigues

Feb 26, 2022, 11:14:15 AM2/26/22
to hotpotatoesusers
Hi Robin
I have used https://www.hostinger.com/  for my site and to host my Hot Potatoes files and so far I have no complaints. I have the paid version, but they also have a free one: https://www.000webhost.com
If you google for web hosting you'll find a lot more, surely. I remember at the time I tested a few, and ended up choosing this one.
Now they are even offering a free domain.

Cheers
Fernanda

Andrew Balaam

Feb 27, 2022, 4:04:26 PM2/27/22
to hotpotatoesusers
Hi Robin,

I host my Hot Potatoes site with lcn.com.  I am not sure where you are in the world, but they are based in the UK.  They are superb - amazing customer service if you need them and I have had no problems with the hosting. It is not free, but it also isn't stupidly expensive and they have tool sto help you start building a site if you need them.

ANy wuestions, do let me know.

Best wishes

Andrew Balaam