Reading text HTML code

Jules AW

Jan 28, 2024, 5:27:03 AMJan 28
to hotpotatoesusers

Hi everyone,
Can anyone help convert this attached document into html code that can be inserted into 'reading text' of a  Hot Potatoes module. It is important to number the lines as indicated  in the document.
Many thanks in advance.

Jules
reading_text_html.docx

Martin Holmes

Jan 28, 2024, 12:36:03 PMJan 28
to hotpotat...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jules,

I think there will be a lot of us -- myself included -- who won't be
willing to open an MSWord document that comes as an email attachment.

I would suggest either:

- Post it on Google Docs and share it (read-only) with the world, then
send us the URL; or

- Ask about the specific HTML tags you need for specific features. For
example:

<ul>
<li>This</li>
<li>is</li>
<li>a</li>
<li>list</li>
</ul>

Cheers,
Martin
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hotpotatoesusers/CAEu2y%3Dp01tB5_uLnm13eHYaTwmct3NWNqOenMCPO_Y0cioR8Sw%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hotpotatoesusers/CAEu2y%3Dp01tB5_uLnm13eHYaTwmct3NWNqOenMCPO_Y0cioR8Sw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Andrew Balaam

Jan 28, 2024, 3:38:57 PMJan 28
to Jules AW, hotpotatoesusers
Hi Jules,

What do you want to do with this text?  Are you planning to use it as a reading comprehension stimulus? You mention that it is important for the line numbers to show correctly.  That is going to be tough in html, I'm guessing.

If it is to be used as a reading stimulus, why don't you do a screenshot of it in word where it displays as you want it to, then create an image if it, and then insert the image into the Hot Potato like that?

Yours
Andrew

Andrew Balaam
languages online
languages online extra
languagesonline.org.uk

Martin Holmes

Jan 28, 2024, 5:16:19 PMJan 28
to hotpotat...@googlegroups.com
You can also use an ordered list to create numbered lines:

<ol>
<li>Line 1</li>
<li>Line 2</li>
</ol>

Of course on a phone or other narrow device, there's a good chance that
these "lines" will wrap, but the numbers will be consistent.

Cheers,
Martin

On 2024-01-28 12:38, Andrew Balaam wrote:
> Hi Jules,
>
> What do you want to do with this text?  Are you planning to use it as a
> reading comprehension stimulus? You mention that it is important for the
> line numbers to show correctly.  That is going to be tough in html, I'm
> guessing.
>
> If it is to be used as a reading stimulus, why don't you do a screenshot
> of it in word where it displays as you want it to, then create an image
> if it, and then insert the image into the Hot Potato like that?
>
> Yours
> Andrew
>

> *Andrew Balaam*
>
> *languages online*
>
> *languages online extra*
>
> *languagesonline.org.uk*

Jules AW

Jan 29, 2024, 6:14:16 AMJan 29
to Martin Holmes, hotpotatoesusers
Thank you so much Martin for your response. I'll give it a try, though I just wanted to have the HTML code for those who are "experts" in HTML
Regards to everyone

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hotpotatoesusers/edea0e84-4cd4-4f07-8d6f-d88eb7cff6f4%40halfbakedsoftware.com.