Sweep Riders of the Sierras, for the Tevis Trail segment from Francisco's to Poverty Bar

Robert H. Sydnor

Aug 2, 2017, 4:13:10 AM8/2/17
to Horse Trails by Robert H. Sydnor, Geologist
Dear Tevis Colleagues:

The attached report dated August 2017 was written especially for the Tevis Sweep Riders.  They are members of the Sweep Riders of the Sierras, with the clever abbreviation of S.O.S.

Since I had worked as an AERC Trail Master extensively to rebuild this 3-mile segment (Tevis Milepost 85 to 88) in 2011, I was able to use photographs taken during our trail maintenance, plus aerial photographs of Francisco's and the river crossing at Poverty Bar.

The nature of this report is unique because it is only for the SOS riders in this short 3-mile segment, not for regular Tevis riders who are broadly interested in the entire 100-miles of the Western States Trail.

This is the night-trail for the Tevis Cup, so the SOS riders previewed the trail in the daylight to familiarize themselves before their sweep-ride from 2:00 AM to about 4:00 AM in the full moonlight.  Hope that you like the last page that showcases the fluvial geomorphology of the river crossing at Poverty Bar.

Respectfully submitted, Bob Sydnor

AERC Trail Master
California state Certified Engineering Geologist
Member, Tevis Ride Committee

SOS trail report from Francisco's to Poverty Bar, by Robert Sydnor, August 2017.pdf