Wright's Lake Equestrian Campground, Eldorado National Forest, Highway 50 area, California

Robert H. Sydnor

Jun 27, 2018, 10:22:00 AM6/27/18
to Horse Trails by Robert H. Sydnor, Geologist
Dear Equestrian Colleagues:

        Attached is a new July 2018,  seven-page report on the Wright's Lake Equestrian Campground.  This is the second edition, with lots more maps added.  The first edition was in 2013 (five years ago) and was only two pages.  It was viewed by 84 equestrians.

       But when I looked at it again, it was apparent that a new edition was needed.  The first edition is entirely deleted, so there will be no confusion.    I reformatted my report to a larger font, added an aerial photograph and several trail maps, plus a new geologic map.

       Wright's Lake was heavily glaciated during the Pleistocene Epoch.  When the glacier stagnated, and melted in-place, it dropped random large angular boulders everywhere.  So that is the insight:  horsemen will see lots of peculiar giant boulders while riding that appear to be randomly dropped (???   humm, how so ???)  ..... and now it is known how these giant boulders got there:  a glacier.

        Respectfully submitted, Bob Sydnor, geologist and horseman

Wright's Lake Horse Camp, July 2018, by Robert Sydnor.pdf