SystemNullReferenceException when trying to git anything

riles01

Oct 30, 2009, 7:08:03 PM10/30/09
to HORN Development
I built horn successfully and have both C:\Program Files\Git\bin and C:
\Program Files\Git\cmd in my path. However, anytime I try to horn any
packages, I get the following error:

C:\Users\rriley1\dev\HornRoot\src\build\net-3.5\debug>horn -
install:log4net
Command install was issued with values:
log4net

Reading the current revision for HornRoot
Reading the current revision for HornRoot
working......
fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance
of an object.
at Horn.Core.SCM.GitSourceControl.Update(IPackageTree packageTree,
FileSystemInfo destination) in c:\Users\rriley1\dev\HornRoot\src
\Horn.Core\SourceControl\GitSourceControl.cs:line 123

Unhandled Exception: Horn.Core.RemoteScmException: Object reference
not set to an instance of an object.

at Horn.Core.SCM.SourceControl.HandleExceptions(Exception ex) in c:
\Users\rriley1\dev\HornRoot\src\Horn.Core\SourceControl
\SourceControl.cs:line 145
at Horn.Core.SCM.GitSourceControl.Update(IPackageTree packageTree,
FileSystemInfo destination) in c:\Users\rriley1\dev\HornRoot\src
\Horn.Core\SourceControl\GitSourceControl.cs:line 131
at Horn.Core.SCM.SourceControl.Download(IPackageTree packageTree,
FileSystemInfo destination, GetOperation operation) in c:\Users
\rriley1\dev\HornRoot\src\Horn.Core\SourceControl
\SourceControl.cs:line 184
at Horn.Core.SCM.SourceControl.RetrieveSource(IPackageTree
packageTree) in c:\Users\rriley1\dev\HornRoot\src\Horn.Core
\SourceControl\SourceControl.cs:line 105
at
Horn.Core.Tree.MetaDataSynchroniser.MetaDataSynchroniser.SynchronisePackageTree
(IPackageTree packageTree) in c:\Users\rriley1\dev\HornRoot\src
\Horn.Core\MetaDataSynchroniser\metadatasynchroniser.cs:line 15
at Horn.Core.PackageStructure.PackageTree.GetRootPackageTree
(DirectoryInfo rootFolder) in c:\Users\rriley1\dev\HornRoot\src
\Horn.Core\PackageTree\PackageTree.cs:line 247
at Horn.Console.Program.Main(String[] args) in c:\Users\rriley1\dev
\HornRoot\src\Horn.Console\Program.cs:line 37

Paul Cowan

Oct 31, 2009, 2:43:13 AM10/31/09
to HORN Development
Have you installed msysgit?
> Horn.Core.Tree.MetaDataSynchroniser.MetaDataSynchroniser.SynchronisePackage­Tree

Ryan Riley

Nov 3, 2009, 11:09:35 AM11/3/09
to horn-dev...@googlegroups.com
Yep. msysgit is loaded, as is GitExtensions, and I use both frequently. Perhaps I need a newer version of msysgit?

Paul Cowan

Nov 3, 2009, 11:14:26 AM11/3/09
to horn-dev...@googlegroups.com

I would also delete the horn root directory and try again.

I changed the code recently and there is now an app.config file in the console application where you can specify where the root directory goes.

<horn hornrootdirectory="C:\hornget\"/>

If you have an old version then the .horn directory will be in the user's directory.

Cheers

Paul Cowan

Cutting-Edge Solutions (Scotland)

http://thesoftwaresimpleton.blogspot.com/

Ryan Riley

Nov 3, 2009, 11:18:23 AM11/3/09
to horn-dev...@googlegroups.com
Awesome. I'll try it tonight.

Mike Hadlow

Nov 18, 2009, 9:04:11 AM11/18/09
to HORN Development
Ryan,

Did you get it working in the end. I have exactly the same issue. I
tried installing the lates msysgit and rebuilding hornget and deleting
the horn root directory. The root directory is c:\hornget and I am
logged in as a local Administrator.

Mike

On 3 Nov, 16:18, Ryan Riley <ryan.ri...@panesofglass.org> wrote:
> Awesome. I'll try it tonight.
>
> Ryan Riley
>
> Email: ryan.ri...@panesofglass.org
> LinkedIn:http://www.linkedin.com/in/ryanriley
> Blog:http://wizardsofsmart.net/
> Website:http://panesofglass.org/
>
> On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 10:14 AM, Paul Cowan <dag...@scotalt.net> wrote:
>
> > I would also delete the horn root directory and try again.
>
> > I changed the code recently and there is now an app.config file in the
> > console application where you can specify where the root directory goes.
>
> > <horn hornrootdirectory="C:\hornget\"/>
>
> > If you have an old version then the .horn directory will be in the user's
> > directory.
>
> > Cheers
>
> > Paul Cowan
>
> > Cutting-Edge Solutions (Scotland)
>
> >http://thesoftwaresimpleton.blogspot.com/
>
> > 2009/11/3 Ryan Riley <ryan.ri...@panesofglass.org>
>
> > Yep. msysgit is loaded, as is GitExtensions, and I use both frequently.
> >> Perhaps I need a newer version of msysgit?
>
> >> Ryan Riley
>
> >> Email: ryan.ri...@panesofglass.org

Paul Cowan

Nov 18, 2009, 9:49:53 AM11/18/09
to horn-dev...@googlegroups.com
All I can say is that it works for me.

What error message are you getting?

Cheers

Paul Cowan

Cutting-Edge Solutions (Scotland)

http://thesoftwaresimpleton.blogspot.com/

Mike Hadlow

Nov 18, 2009, 10:55:24 AM11/18/09
to HORN Development
I'm getting exactly the same error that Ryan posted at the begining of
this thread. It's as if 'git init' hasn't been run on the '.horn'
folder.

Mike

On 18 Nov, 14:49, Paul Cowan <dag...@scotalt.net> wrote:
> All I can say is that it works for me.
>
> What error message are you getting?
>
> Cheers
>
> Paul Cowan
>
> Cutting-Edge Solutions (Scotland)
>
> http://thesoftwaresimpleton.blogspot.com/
>
> 2009/11/18 Mike Hadlow <mikehad...@googlemail.com>
> > horn-developme...@googlegroups.com<horn-development%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > .

Mike Hadlow

Nov 18, 2009, 11:01:23 AM11/18/09
to HORN Development
OK, it looks like the corporate firewall has the git port (9418)
blocked.

I can't execute

git pull -v git://github.com/dagda1/hornget.git

I get:

github.com[0: 207.97.227.239]: errno=Invalid argument
fatal: unable to connect a socket (Invalid argument)

David Lawton

Nov 19, 2009, 12:47:10 AM11/19/09
to horn-dev...@googlegroups.com
Mike u could manually change the boo file locally to use http to
connect to git.

U will bypass the firewall and use port 80. I had to do this with git
until I whooped the network admin and made him open got ports.

Sent from my iPhone