Let there be life

stefan.sedich

Dec 20, 2010, 5:50:58 AM12/20/10
to HORN Development
Hi,

I am planning on continuing the development of hornget, so I thought I
would throw this out there to see if there are any nibbles of
interest.

Basically my plan is to fork the project to my github repo to continue
work over there.

I plan to remove all the current descriptors and start with a small
set of descriptors for commonly used things, Castle, log4net,
NHibernate, RavenDb etc.

I have registered http://hornget.com and plan to provide downloads for
nightly builds and also specific versions of these projects, I have
a few other ideas on what I would like to do on the site but at this
stage I want to just get something up and running and then go from
there.

If anyone has any ideas please throw them my way, not sure if I am
riding a dead horse here, but I would like to see this project turned
into
something cool that we can all get good value out of.

Thanks
Stefan

Sebastien Lambla

Dec 20, 2010, 8:24:24 AM12/20/10
to horn-dev...@googlegroups.com
Wouldn't it be more efficient to use OpenWrap to deliver binaries rather than do another attempt at producing those binary bundles? The platform is moving very quickly to package managers, it'd be good if any plan involving reviving horn did include those.

Hi,

Thanks
Stefan

Michael Maddox

Dec 20, 2010, 8:41:15 AM12/20/10
to horn-dev...@googlegroups.com
My understanding of OpenWrap is it's not capable of, for instance,
building the NHibernate trunk from source and then building the Castle
ActiveRecord trunk from source using the binaries just built from the
NHibernate trunk as a dependency. That's my understanding of what
Horn can do.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think OpenWrap and Horn target
different problems.

-Michael

David Lawton

Dec 20, 2010, 8:44:40 AM12/20/10
to horn-dev...@googlegroups.com
Exactly what I was about to say seb.

Sent from my iPhone

Paul Cowan

Dec 20, 2010, 8:51:01 AM12/20/10
to horn-dev...@googlegroups.com
I agree that if we could get horn to build popular binaries consistently (God knows I tried), then openwrap would be the delivery mechanism of choice.

No point in resurrecting the website and also one less thing to worry about.

CI could be possible across OSS projects with good reporting when say, castle breaks Nh or vice versa.

Cheers

Paul Cowan

Cutting-Edge Solutions (Scotland)

http://thesoftwaresimpleton.blogspot.com/

Sebastien Lambla

Dec 20, 2010, 9:36:29 AM12/20/10
to horn-dev...@googlegroups.com
Michael,

Building trunks against trunks against trunks is entirely possible using openwrap, you just need to go through a package / deployment phase in between.

Build nhib trunk produces nhibernate-3.1.0[trunk].wrap

Then pull activerecord trunk, compile it against the new package.

You can do all that by keeping all your local builds in an OpenWrap repository that you can set wherever you want on your machine.

OpenWrap supports triggering builds and compiles packages out of the text output that those builds trigger, making a lot of the work that existed in descriptors redundant. Horn could be turned into a tool that can pull source repositories, replace packages where appropriate and rebuild against the new versions if needed. The only thing you need is to generate a descriptor and let the system do the resolve for you, provided the projects can be made to use openwrap.

As it's pretty trivial, I think it's much more productive to maintain a fork for projects that require it and keep the descriptor and changes to project files than it is to invest time in the source-only solution that existed in horn.

That said, there's a feature we're adding to openwrap (mainly so we can auto-publish to symbol servers), and that's including sources in a package, so if you wanted to do source-only dependency tree resolving, including compilation, there's only a step there to integrate with the existing code.

From my perspective, and I suppose I would say that, package management is going to be a two-horse race in the coming months, and I very much doubt continuing with horn as it operated before is going to be efficient or time well invested. There's a featureset that would find a natural home in OpenWrap, and I'm happy helping out and integrating horn features in OpenWrap, I think it'd be more efficient, provide a better competitive advantage considering the synergies.

Then again, that may just be me, I don't want to prevent anyone from resurrecting hornget if they think that's where the future is.

stefan.sedich

Dec 20, 2010, 6:20:23 PM12/20/10
to HORN Development
Sebastien,

Looks like I might have jumped the gun a little too quickly here, I
think you are right, and providing this functionality to provide trunk
packages would be better off
being done in your suggested way.

I have sent you an email to continue this discussion to see where we
can go with this.

Thanks
Stefan

12:36 am
Michael,
> > I have registeredhttp://hornget.comand plan to provide downloads for nightly builds and also specific versions of these projects, I have a few other ideas on what I would like to do on the site but at this stage I want to just get something up and running and then go from there.
>
> > If anyone has any ideas please throw them my way, not sure if I am riding a dead horse here, but I would like to see this project turned into something cool that we can all get good value out of.
>
> > Thanks
> > Stefan

Grimace of Despair

Dec 21, 2010, 8:12:34 AM12/21/10
to HORN Development
I suppose you'll be posting any meaningful conclusions right here? ;)

I know at least *I* will be lurking here.
> > > I have registeredhttp://hornget.comandplan to provide downloads for nightly builds and also specific versions of these projects, I have a few other ideas on what I would like to do on the site but at this stage I want to just get something up and running and then go from there.

Stefan Sedich

Dec 21, 2010, 8:15:39 AM12/21/10
to horn-dev...@googlegroups.com
Yeah I will definitely post the results of what is decided upon here, I think my initial idea was a little rushed
and I got a bit carried away with ideas.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks
Stefan

Stefan Sedich
Software Developer
http://weblogs.asp.net/stefansedich

Paul Cowan

Dec 22, 2010, 1:52:55 AM12/22/10
to horn-dev...@googlegroups.com
I think it is safe to say horn is dead.

| would recommend anybody who liked horn to use openwrap over nuget.

The only thing horn might be useful for is a sort of CI build across .NET OSS projects.  That is were I was going before becoming fatigued.

Cheers

Paul Cowan

Cutting-Edge Solutions (Scotland)

http://thesoftwaresimpleton.blogspot.com/

Stefan Sedich

Dec 22, 2010, 3:09:54 AM12/22/10
to horn-dev...@googlegroups.com
Yep that is what I am leaning to, using horn to build nightly trunk against trunk builds and the providing a openwrap package repository of those builds.

Stefan

Sent from my iPhone