nhcontrib descriptors update

Johannes Gustafsson

Jan 21, 2010, 2:55:00 AM1/21/10
to horn-dev...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm ready to do a pull request of my hornget repo, i just have some thoughts.

In order to build the nhcontrib libs against the trunk of nhibernate i simply removed the specific version requirements from the file. I first thought about having 2 descriptors, nhibernate.validator.boo and nhibernate.validator-2.1.boo but i decided against because:

1. I can't find a branch of any of the contrib libs that specifically points to NH2.1. It seems that the way is always to use the trunk of nhcontrib.
2. If i'm not mistaken, if you set the version of NH to 2.1 somewhere else in the dependency chain, it will compile against 2.1 anyway, and therefore it is not needed in these descriptors

Do you agree or should i add 2.1 descriptors as well?

And another thought about NH.Linq.

NH.Linq requires a patch to the buildfile in order for it to compile against trunk (It needs a reference to Remotion.Data.Linq). Does horn have a way so that you can add a patch file to the descriptor that is added to the source before it is built? If not, I think that would be a great feature and I would be willing to try and contribute to it.

Regards,

/Johannes

Paul Cowan

Jan 21, 2010, 4:02:31 AM1/21/10
to horn-dev...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I think having 2 descriptors is the way to go.

One for the Nhbiernate 2.1 branch and the other for the trunk.

>>  I can't find a branch of any of the contrib libs that specifically points to NH2.1

nearly all of the nhcontribs point to nhibernate 2.1.  If you look here

dependencies:
    depend "castle.core" >> "Castle.Core"
    depend "castle.dynamicproxy" >> "Castle.DynamicProxy2"
    depend "nhibernate" >> "2.1" >> "NHibernate"
    depend "nhibernate" >> "2.1" >> "Iesi.Collections"
    depend "nhibernate" >> "2.1" >> "NHibernate.ByteCode.Castle"

 You can see the nhibernate versions specifically point to the 2.1 branch on the line:

depend "nhibernate" >> "2.1" >> "NHibernate" The above syntax means that nhibernate is pointing to the 2.1 branch.

I think the correct way is the way we have it for the nhibernate linq projects in that we have a 2.1 and a trunk file:

http://github.com/dagda1/hornget/tree/master/orm/nhcontrib/nhibernate.linq/

Hope this helps.

I added your nservice bus descriptor to git last night.

Cheers

Paul Cowan

Cutting-Edge Solutions (Scotland)

http://thesoftwaresimpleton.blogspot.com/

Johannes Gustafsson

Jan 21, 2010, 6:52:36 AM1/21/10
to horn-dev...@googlegroups.com
Ok, done. Pull request sent. It took me a while because github doesn't seem to work well with chrome, the pull request dialog didn't show up, but when I used Firefox it worked. :-)

/Johannes

Paul Cowan

Jan 21, 2010, 6:54:31 AM1/21/10
to horn-dev...@googlegroups.com
I will check that out after work.

Great to see other people getting involved.

Paul Cowan

Jan 22, 2010, 6:34:06 AM1/22/10
to HORN Development
I have just merged the changes back into the master.

Many thanks.

On 21 Jan, 11:54, Paul Cowan <dag...@scotalt.net> wrote:
> I will check that out after work.
>
> Great to see other people getting involved.
>
> Cheers
>
> Paul Cowan
>
> Cutting-Edge Solutions (Scotland)
>
> http://thesoftwaresimpleton.blogspot.com/
>

> 2010/1/21 Johannes Gustafsson <vedk...@gmail.com>

> > Ok, done. Pull request sent. It took me a while because github doesn't seem
> > to work well with chrome, the pull request dialog didn't show up, but when I
> > used Firefox it worked. :-)
>
> > /Johannes
>
> > On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 10:02 AM, Paul Cowan <dag...@scotalt.net> wrote:
>
> >> Hi,
>
> >> I think having 2 descriptors is the way to go.
>
> >> One for the Nhbiernate 2.1 branch and the other for the trunk.

> >> points to NH2.1
>
> >> nearly all of the nhcontribs point to nhibernate 2.1.  If you look here
>
> >> dependencies:
>
> >>     depend "castle.core"                  >> "Castle.Core"
>
> >>     depend "castle.dynamicproxy"          >> "Castle.DynamicProxy2"
>
> >>     depend "nhibernate"   >> "2.1" >> "NHibernate"
>
> >>     depend "nhibernate"   >> "2.1" >> "Iesi.Collections"
>
> >>     depend "nhibernate"   >> "2.1" >> "NHibernate.ByteCode.Castle"
>
> >>  You can see the nhibernate versions specifically point to the 2.1 branch on the line:
>
> >> depend "nhibernate"   >> "2.1" >> "NHibernate"
> >> The above syntax means that nhibernate is pointing to the 2.1 branch.
>
> >> I think the correct way is the way we have it for the nhibernate linq projects in that we have a 2.1 and a trunk file:
>

> >>http://github.com/dagda1/hornget/tree/master/orm/nhcontrib/nhibernate...

> >> Hope this helps.
>
> >> I added your nservice bus descriptor to git last night.
>
> >> Cheers
>
> >> Paul Cowan
>
> >> Cutting-Edge Solutions (Scotland)
>
> >>http://thesoftwaresimpleton.blogspot.com/

> >> --

> >> .
> >> For more options, visit this group at
> >>http://groups.google.com/group/horn-development?hl=en.
>
> > --

> > .
> > For more options, visit this group at

> >http://groups.google.com/group/horn-development?hl=en.- Hide quoted text -

Paul Cowan

Jan 23, 2010, 2:00:55 AM1/23/10
to HORN Development
Hi,

I have deleted the nhibernae.linq.boo file as the linq code is
included in the trunk of nhibernate 3.0.

Cheers

Paul

> > >http://groups.google.com/group/horn-development?hl=en.-Hide quoted text -

Johannes Gustafsson

Jan 25, 2010, 4:01:58 AM1/25/10
to horn-dev...@googlegroups.com
I wasn't sure that the new linq-implementation was ready for production, that is why I wanted nh-linq to compile against trunk. If the new one covers the same tests as the old one, then it is fine by me.

Regards

/Johannes

Paul Cowan

Jan 25, 2010, 4:11:51 AM1/25/10
to horn-dev...@googlegroups.com
I don't user nh-linq so maybe I should have checked first.

If anybody thinks it needs reinstated then let me know and I am happy to do so.

Cheers

Paul Cowan

Cutting-Edge Solutions (Scotland)

http://thesoftwaresimpleton.blogspot.com/

Paul Batum

Jan 25, 2010, 4:25:36 AM1/25/10
to horn-dev...@googlegroups.com
Apparently the new provider is now at a point where it passes the tests the old one did, BUT be aware it doesn't yet have support for specifying eager/lazy fetching/loading, while the old one did (see the Expand extension method). So if people are relying on this capability they may find switching to the new provider to be problematic.

Paul Cowan

Jan 25, 2010, 4:35:51 AM1/25/10
to horn-dev...@googlegroups.com
OK thanks, I will reinstate the old descriptor although I don't think it was building.

Cheers

Paul Cowan

Cutting-Edge Solutions (Scotland)

http://thesoftwaresimpleton.blogspot.com/

Johannes Gustafsson

Jan 25, 2010, 4:51:22 AM1/25/10
to horn-dev...@googlegroups.com
the buildfile needs patching. I thought about adding a patched build-file (I saw en example in the caliburn descriptor), but it seems that both the trunk and the 2.1 version would  then use that which could be problematic?

Paul Cowan

Jan 25, 2010, 4:53:31 AM1/25/10
to horn-dev...@googlegroups.com
>>  it seems that both the trunk and the 2.1 version would  then use that which could be problematic?

Good point, we need to change the code so you can patch individual versions.

We are accepting patches for this :-)

Johannes Gustafsson

Jan 25, 2010, 4:55:01 AM1/25/10
to horn-dev...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I'll see what I can do.

Paul Cowan

Jan 25, 2010, 4:56:48 AM1/25/10
to horn-dev...@googlegroups.com
Should be an easy change,

All we need is a folder named patch that will be used to patch the trunk and a patch folder with the version suffix, for example if we were patching both the trunk and the 2.1 branch of nhlinq, we need two folders in the package tree:

nhibernate.linq
                     |___

                           patch
                           patch-2.1
                           nhibernate.linq.boo
                           nhibernate.linq-2.1.boo

Cheers

Paul Cowan

Cutting-Edge Solutions (Scotland)

http://thesoftwaresimpleton.blogspot.com/

Paul Cowan

Jan 25, 2010, 4:57:56 AM1/25/10
to horn-dev...@googlegroups.com
If I can be of any help then let me know.

I just don't have time for horn right now and I really want others to get actively involved.

Cheers

Paul Cowan

Cutting-Edge Solutions (Scotland)

http://thesoftwaresimpleton.blogspot.com/

Paul Cowan

Jan 25, 2010, 4:59:10 AM1/25/10
to horn-dev...@googlegroups.com
You can fork the code here:

Cheers

Paul Cowan

Cutting-Edge Solutions (Scotland)

http://thesoftwaresimpleton.blogspot.com/

Johannes Gustafsson

Jan 25, 2010, 4:59:48 AM1/25/10
to horn-dev...@googlegroups.com
I can do it. I just have to find some spare time, so maybe not today, but defintely before weekend

Paul Cowan

Jan 25, 2010, 5:07:14 AM1/25/10
to horn-dev...@googlegroups.com
No rush, we have survived this long without it.

Whenever you have the time.

Johannes Gustafsson

Jan 25, 2010, 5:07:37 PM1/25/10
to horn-dev...@googlegroups.com
pull request sent, both for implementation and working patch to nh.linq.

Paul Cowan

Jan 26, 2010, 5:44:02 AM1/26/10
to horn-dev...@googlegroups.com
Excellent work sir.

Really good to see you supplying a test for the new work as well.

I have merged your changes.

Johannes Gustafsson

Jan 26, 2010, 6:40:38 AM1/26/10
to horn-dev...@googlegroups.com