Versions and dependency management

KevM

Jan 8, 2010, 10:54:34 AM1/8/10
to HORN Development
A couple questions. Sorry if this has already been covered.

How does version number detection work. Is it based on the the boo
file name or is it required that authors fill in the metadata?

package.version = "<version number>"

I see a lot of project descriptors that have no version information
but have a boo filename with a <name>-<version number>.boo
conventional filename.

Also, how does HornGet know how to copy dependencies into the library
directories of projects? Do you just copy them to the root of the
library directory or do you look for existing copies and replace
them?

Kevin Miller

Paul Cowan

Jan 8, 2010, 11:01:11 AM1/8/10
to horn-dev...@googlegroups.com
>> package.version = "<version number>"

That is simply metadata we use to display on the website.

The file name is how horn picks a different version.  For example nhibernate 2.1 has a file named nhibernate-2.1.boo.

If you are using horn from the command line you would supply the following:

horn -install:horn -version:2.1

If you are referencing a different version from the dependencies section of a descriptor then you would reference nhibernate 2.1 like this:

dependencies:
    depend "nhibernate" >> "2.1" >> "NHibernate"

Also, how does HornGet know how to copy dependencies into the library directories of projects?

Every descriptor has the following

    shared_library "Lib"

This is tells horn where to begin it's search relative to the working directory.  It will then iterate around this directory hive (which may only be 1 directory) and replace any instances of the dependency files.

Thanks for the SM descriptors, I will merge them tonight or tomorrow.

Cheers

Paul Cowan

Cutting-Edge Solutions (Scotland)

http://thesoftwaresimpleton.blogspot.com/