How do I use this thing?

N!cky

Jun 22, 2010, 12:16:44 AM6/22/10
to HORN Development
I just got turned on to HORN today. I hear it's a great tool - sadly I
also learned that the project has been closed.

Anyhow, I just downloaded the source from Github and I extracted the
files. I have no clue what I'm supposed do next and if you can help a
novice like me, then I would really really appreciate it.

My end goal is to compile versions of Castle.Windsor, Castle.Core and
Castle.MicroKernel so that they can be used in a medium-trust
environment. In other words, I need to get to the point where I can
run this command, as instructed on another board.

"horn -install:castle.activerecord -version:2.1.2 -mode:aptca"

This problem probably has been asked a thousand times, and I am truly
sorry for that, but i cannot find any documentation, and after 3 days
of rebuilding Castle.Windsor source code and trying a hundred other
attempts, I could REALLY use some help.

Thank you

Paul Cowan

Jun 22, 2010, 3:42:54 AM6/22/10
to horn-dev...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nicky,

Horn is not dying.  Horn as a command line tool will live on as long as it makes sense to.  I have pretty much stopped development on it but the path is open for others to pick up where the code has stopped.

The website will be decommissioned soon as the descriptors that are needed to build horn are pretty out of date.

Here is a good post about using horn, it was written when the code was still on google code and not github but is still very relevant:

http://blog.bittercoder.com/PermaLink,guid,5614d98a-98f7-4343-b66c-3bf6da0707e0.aspx

The problem with the command line tool is that you need things like msysgit installed to get every building.

Cheers

Paul Cowan

Cutting-Edge Solutions (Scotland)

http://thesoftwaresimpleton.blogspot.com/

N!cky

Jun 22, 2010, 2:11:03 PM6/22/10
to HORN Development
Thank you so much Paul! This was very helpful.

I'm glad to hear that HORN will live on.

When so much energy, vision and skill have been invested in a project,
it deserves to be carried on. Especially if it's developed for the
better good.

Thanks again!