New Ruby library

Kevin Menard

Aug 18, 2009, 8:52:21 AM8/18/09
to Hoptoad Notifier Dev
In a separate thread, Joe mentioned supporting more frameworks and
languages. I'd like to see this started in Ruby, since the
hoptoad_notifier is already the canonical example of accessing
Hoptoad.

We tried to roll Hoptoad support into a Sinatra app not too long ago
and came across a piece of Rack middleware that someone had written to
log to Hoptoad. Unfortunately, it lacked a lot of features that the
hoptoad_notifier (Rails-only) supported. In trying to improve feature
parity, I found that a lot of hoptoad_notifier has nothing to do with
Rails at all and could be extracted out into its own lib. I was
reluctant to undertake that work without any indication that it would
be adopted by Thoughtbot.

Anyway, I think it would be a good first target for a code re-org.
The resulting lib without Rails hooks would then be a nice
framework-indifferent codebase from which others could learn.

--
Kevin

Joe Ferris

Aug 18, 2009, 9:35:40 AM8/18/09
to Hoptoad Notifier Dev
Hey Kevin,

We've been working on a new version of the hoptoad_notifier library to
go along with the new API: http://groups.google.com/group/hoptoad-notifier-dev/browse_thread/thread/4c52d14ae894cbe

A big piece of our plan there is to ensure that the hoptoad_notifier
components can be reused by other notifier libraries. If you have
specific suggestions as to how we can make things easier for you as a
notifier author, please let us know.

Thanks,
-Joe