::HOPAU::Multi-sport Australian Paralympians

greg....@bigpond.com

Jul 11, 2019, 4:16:35 AM7/11/19
to ho...@googlegroups.com

You may be interested in the Wikipedia article I created that includes athletes that  have competed in more than one sport at the Summer and Winter Paralympics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_multi-sport_Australian_Paralympians

Feedback always welcome.

Greg

Elizabeth Mills

Jul 11, 2019, 7:59:49 PM7/11/19
to ho...@googlegroups.com
Great list Greg
Regards
Elizabeth

Regards
Elizabeth

Libby and Stan Kosmala

Jul 11, 2019, 8:19:04 PM7/11/19
to ho...@googlegroups.com

Dear Greg,

A great list, and a couple of additions –

Kevin Munro won a gold medal in 1968 for 100mt. sprint (athletics) – I saw him do it!!

Stan Kosmala won gold medal for lawn bowls pairs with Roy Fowler in 1988 – again I saw it take place

Eric Russell I believe won gold in 1976 for athletics – I think he gave the gold back to organisers in protest??

Cheers,

Libby Kosmala

Tony Naar

Jul 16, 2019, 8:11:20 PM7/16/19
to ho...@googlegroups.com

I agree with Elizabeth – this is such an interesting list and demonstrates the value of talent transfer in the Paralympic setting.

I was surprised to find that a good number of athletes had competed in more than one sport right through the decades and that 35 athletes have competed in one or more of their sports since and including the 2000 Games.

One might have expected the multi-sport competitors to be bunched towards the early years, when Paralympians were often required to ‘have a go’ at more than one sport but that doesn’t appear to be the case. (Although I think that the proportion of the team which had participated in more than one sport in the earlier years would have been much greater than in current times.)

It is interesting also that 25 of the 103 ‘multi-sport’ athletes also won medals in more than one sport.

As Greg lists in the article, the five athletes who won gold in more than one sport form a small, elite group that spans the full summer Games history – one or more of those five made an appearance at every Games except 1980, 1992, 1996 and 2004 (that’s 11 out of the 15 Games so far).

Regards,

TN

Tony Naar

Facilitator