New photos from Tokyo 1964 from Elizabeth Edmondson ready to use

1 view

Tony Naar

Nov 9, 2018, 8:15:20 AM11/9/18
to ho...@googlegroups.com

This week it is 54 years since the Tokyo 1964 Paralympics. In less than two years the Games will be in Tokyo again.

I have just uploaded 20 COLOUR photos of the 1964 Games that were discovered by Elizabeth Edmondson in August that are now ready for use in Wikipedia articles.

Here, in Elizabeth’s own words, is the story of the discovery:

Before I left for Tokyo, my father had bought me a camera, and I had taken one roll of film, and had them developed in black and white.

Last Sunday, my sister Pam came over to help me sort through my Paralympic box.  We came across an envelope of negatives and as neither of us was wearing our reading glasses at the time, we couldn’t tell what the photos were. As they were in the Paralympic box, I decided to see if I could get them printed.  Late on Monday I took them into University Cameras, where it was suggested I have them scanned and stored onto a USB stick.

Tuesday morning, I thought I had better check the photos and opened the first photo.  I stared at it and thought the trees are green, the people are in colour too, gosh the whole photo is in colour.  I then looked at the next photo and sure enough it was in colour too.  This is when I started crying as I realised what a find this was.  Not just for me, but for the Australian Paralympic community as well.

I would like to share with you these photos, to give you a brief look at Tokyo in November 1964.

They are available here: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Images_from_the_Australian_Paralympic_Committee_of_the_1964_Tokyo_Paralympic_Games

Regards,

TN

Tony Naar