Paralympic recipients of the Medal of the Order of Australia

Graham Pearce

Dec 28, 2011, 10:13:09 AM12/28/11
to ho...@googlegroups.com
I was just alerted by this edit:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Evan_O%27Hanlon&curid=21411783&diff=468063793&oldid=465503635

that Evan O'Hanlon received a Medal of the Order of Australia in 2009 for
his gold medal at the 2008 Beijing Paralympics. Apparently all gold medal
recipients from the 2008 Games received this honour. See:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2009-01-27/medal-of-the-order-of-australia-oam/274232

I have expanded the mention of this in Mr. O'Hanlon's article, by mentioning
it in the lead in the correct format, the recognition section, and adding a
relevant category. The citation on the ABC website also tells us the
Paralympians' middle name/s where applicable, and I've added that to his
article as well. It's nearly my bedtime (a few ticks past 11PM) as I write
this, so I plan to add this info for the other gold medallists with articles
(I assume that most, if not all of them have articles, but I haven't checked
yet).

Did any Australian Paralympians from previous games systematically receive
the Medal of the Order of Australia as they did for the Beijing Games?

Regards, Graham

Tony Naar

Dec 29, 2011, 7:00:09 PM12/29/11
to ho...@googlegroups.com
Graham,

It is my understanding that the Australian government follows a policy of awarding an OAM to all Olympic and Paralympic Games gold medallists. This commenced in either 1992 or 1996. From memory it was 1996, but I couldn't be absolutely certain about that. The way to tell would be to check whether 1992 gold medallists were awarded the OAM.

Regards,

TN

Tony Naar
General Manager, Knowledge Services
Australian Paralympic Committee

PO Box 596  Sydney Markets  NSW  2129
P +61 2 9704 0510 M +61 418 684 108 F +61 2 9704 0589
tony...@paralympic.org.au
www.paralympic.org.au

We help Australians with disabilities participate in sport and compete at the Paralympic Games
through partnerships with governments, business, sporting bodies and the community.

The information contained in this email message may be confidential or copyright information
of the Australian Paralympic Committee Ltd (ABN 41 810 234 213; ACN 061 547 957).
If you are not the intended recipient, any use, interference with, disclosure or copying of this
material is unauthorised and prohibited. If you have received this message in error,
please delete it and notify me by reply.

Regards, Graham

John Vandenberg

Dec 30, 2011, 12:07:06 AM12/30/11
to ho...@googlegroups.com
If there is a policy of giving OAMs to gold medalists, it would be a
useful addition to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_Australia

Based on Tony's guidance, I've used the gov website to search for
1988-1996 gold winners.

http://www.itsanhonour.gov.au/honours/honour_roll/index.cfm

Re 1988, all but one gold winner received an OAM. Besies the
hockeyroos, hurdler Debbie Flintoff-King had received an OAM before
the olympics, and swimmer Duncan Armstrong received one in 1989.

For the hockeyroos, Buchanan's OAM is listed under Patmore, and
Deborah Bowman is the only team member without an OAM. That sounds
like an interesting story.

Re 1992, I have been able to confirm that most gold winners received
an OAM, however I cant find the verification that Kathy Watt received
an OAM. I've left a note on the talk page about this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Kathy_Watt#OAM

And all 1996 winners have OAMs.

--
John Vandenberg

Tony Naar

Dec 30, 2011, 12:26:22 AM12/30/11
to ho...@googlegroups.com
John,

Good work!

I think you may find that there is no official policy of awarding OAMs to gold medallists, however it has been a practice to do so.

You have also found that there are one or two gold medal athletes who were not awarded an OAM. Once again, there may be no formal reason for this, however it is also a requirement that recipients of Australian honours meet certain character and behaviour standards.

You have mentioned Olympian OAMs. I would be very interested in whether Paralympian gold medallists from the same Games were also awarded OAMs or whether it commenced from a subsequent Games to the awarding of OAMs to Olympic gold medallists.

[...]

Graham Pearce

Dec 30, 2011, 1:02:40 AM12/30/11
to ho...@googlegroups.com
I verified Kathy Watt's OAM (listed under her full name) but Debbie
Sullivan's case sounds interesting:
http://www.itsanhonour.gov.au/honours/honour_roll/search.cfm?aus_award_id=975629&showInd=true

Regards, Graham

Dec 30, 2011, 1:04:02 AM12/30/11
to ho...@googlegroups.com
Debbie Bowman, rather. :-)

John Vandenberg

Dec 30, 2011, 1:20:41 AM12/30/11
to ho...@googlegroups.com
It looks like the tradition may have started in 1984.

All of the 1984 gold winners received an OAM.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_at_the_1984_Summer_Olympics#Gold

For 1980, swimmer Michelle Ford received an MBE two years later, and
the four swimmers who won goal didnt receive an OAM.
No gold in 1976.
The 1972 gold winners didnt receive an OAM.

re 1984 Paralympics, I can only find a four Paralympians who were
likely awarded an OAM.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Kosmala

BRUNNER, Helena:
http://www.itsanhonour.gov.au/honours/honour_roll/search.cfm?aus_award_id=887388&search_type=advanced&showInd=true

not sure if these are the same person; there is a spelling difference here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Gudgeon
http://www.itsanhonour.gov.au/honours/honour_roll/search.cfm?breif=true&page=1&search_type=advanced

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregory_Hammond

re 1988 Paralympics, again not everyone received an OAM, but a few did

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deahnne_McIntyre
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodney_Nugent
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Short

The citations dont always mention Paralympics. e.g.

http://www.itsanhonour.gov.au/honours/honour_roll/search.cfm?aus_award_id=887599&search_type=advanced&showInd=true

All of the 1992 Paralympic gold winners received an OAM.

--
John Vandenberg

Lyn Lillicrapp

Dec 30, 2011, 2:16:27 AM12/30/11
to ho...@googlegroups.com
Hi Folks,
I think the practice commenced for us following the Seoul 1988 Paralympics.
I queried with the Speaker of the House at that time, Neil Andrew (my local
Federal member) why able-bods seemed to automatically receive the OAM as
gold medal winners when Paralympians didn't. He followed it up, and it is
now standard for all Paralympians as well as AB's. (Maybe, though, it was
already being considered for us :-)).

Are you acknowledging OAM awards only for Paralympians, or also for MC
athletes who are awarded them for other major meets? I was awarded one "for
service to swimming, particularly as a gold medallist at the Stoke
Mandeville World Wheelchair Championships". Other Paralympians may also
have received the award in similar circumstances.

Cheers
Lyn

John,

Good work!

Regards,

TN

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_Australia

http://www.itsanhonour.gov.au/honours/honour_roll/index.cfm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Kathy_Watt#OAM

--
John Vandenberg

Graham Pearce

Dec 30, 2011, 5:16:43 AM12/30/11
to ho...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lyn,

That sounds amazing that you might have influenced the policy on Paralympics
automatically getting an OAM, the same way as Olympians. I wonder if there
is any documentation on this change of policy?

I would acknowledge OAM awards for everybody who has received them, not just
directly by winning a Paralympic gold medal. So I've added the mention of
your OAM to your article. Unfortunately there's a typo on your entry -
"TOKE" should be "STOKE" - which I put down to a data entry error on the
site, so I just silently corrected it in the Wikipedia article:
http://www.itsanhonour.gov.au/honours/honour_roll/search.cfm?aus_award_id=886204&search_type=quick&showInd=true

By the way, is there a reason why your surname as shown in your email name
contains two I's, instead of an "I" and an "E"? It made it really hard for
me to track down your Wikipedia page. :-)

Regards, Graham

Dec 30, 2011, 6:54:42 AM12/30/11
to ho...@googlegroups.com

Hi Graham,

Thanks for your input on this, much appreciated.

By the way, is there a reason why your surname as shown in your email name contains two I's, instead of an "I" and an "E"? It made it really hard for me to track down your Wikipedia page. :-)

When the ISP set up on my new laptop in June, there was a problem with the original email address not being received As he didn't know how to delete an email address on Windows 7, he created another one and in the process incorrectly spelled my name.  I've not been back to get it corrected.  Have you any clues as to how I could suggest he fixes the problem.

Tony Naar

Dec 30, 2011, 7:25:04 AM12/30/11
to ho...@googlegroups.com
Graham,

I have looked at a couple of the other Hockeyroos from 1988 (Elspeth Denning, Lee Capes) and they both have only been awarded the 2000 Sport Medals.

Has anyone checked the full set of 1988 Olympian and Paralympian gold medallists to see if there consistency in the awarding of OAMs?

It may be that they were not awarded for team sports, but that seems unlikely. Debbie Sullivan was the team captain, so if anyone was given the award after the gold medal, one would expect it to have been her!

Regards,

TN

Tony Naar
General Manager, Knowledge Services
Australian Paralympic Committee

We help Australians with disabilities participate in sport and compete at the Paralympic Games
through partnerships with governments, business, sporting bodies and the community.

The information contained in this email message may be confidential or copyright information
of the Australian Paralympic Committee Ltd (ABN 41 810 234 213; ACN 061 547 957).
If you are not the intended recipient, any use, interference with, disclosure or copying of this
material is unauthorised and prohibited. If you have received this message in error,
please delete it and notify me by reply.

Many thanx, Graham, for your advice on this.  I found what was needed, and have changed to reflect the correct spelling.

That sounds amazing that you might have influenced the policy on Paralympics automatically getting an OAM, the same way as Olympians. I wonder if there is any documentation on this change of policy?

The only place I can think there might be some documentation would be in the annuls of whichever organisation covers the Honours and Awards system.  Neil was a family friend (he & my husband went to school together), and we only spoke about it – there was nothing in writing between us that I can recall.

He initially gave me a spiel on how these awards had to be applied for, usually by the awardee’s family/friends.  I countered by saying that it was absolute bunkum that every gold medal winner’s family had applied after the Games, usually in the latter part of the year, and that all applications would/could be assessed and approved by January of the following year – only a matter of months.  I also told him it was most discriminatory against us.  He agreed, said he would look into it – seems the rest is history.   I’ll check in my box of memorabilia, just in case.

Also, is it only Paralympics at which we won medals that are mentioned in our CV?  I competed at Barcelona in 1992, but no medals, only a couple of finals.

Again, my thanx, and I wish you and the team a very successful, happy 2012.  May it be all you wish it to be.

Cheers

Lyn

Graham Pearce

Jan 1, 2012, 1:14:08 AM1/1/12
to ho...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lyn,

No worries ... glad that the mail name is all sorted.

Ideally we'd like to list all of the Paralympics that each athlete has attended, plus any other championships, but everything on Wikipedia should be cited to a published reliable source. Unfortunately you don't seem to have a profile at either the APC or IPC sites, unless I'm missing something; I checked under both your current name and your maiden name ... am I correct that they only have good listings down to the Atlanta Games? Laura, John, anybody else ... do you have access to other official sources that could confirm this? The list of IPC athletes at each Paralympics is the easiest source to access, but unfortunately it only lists medal winners.

Lyn Lillecrapp

Jan 1, 2012, 1:37:40 AM1/1/12
to ho...@googlegroups.com

The following site might clarify, Graham  -

www.paralympic.org (Barcelona Games) shows me as an entrant for the following events.

Women’s 50m fly S6, heat 2

Women’s 100m breaststroke, SB3, heat 1

Women’s 100m backstroke, S6, heat 1

women’s 50m freestyle, S6, heat 2

Women’s 100m free, S6, heat 1

Women’s 200m free, S6, heat 1

Women’s 4x50m medley relay, S1-6

Hope this helps J

Graham Pearce

Jan 1, 2012, 2:26:56 AM1/1/12
to ho...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, I've added the 1992 Paralympics to your article (seems I forgot to check the link "results"!), and your 1989–91 Stoke-Mandeville medals.

Lyn Lillecrapp

Jan 2, 2012, 7:36:17 PM1/2/12
to ho...@googlegroups.com

Thanks, Graham.

and your 1989–91 Stoke-Mandeville medals.

Is the a website for the Stoke Games?  I’ve looked at many sites, trying to find results, even some of the history, but to no avail.

Graham Pearce

Jan 2, 2012, 8:37:08 PM1/2/12
to ho...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lyn,

No worries!

I'm sure you've looked here, but the official website for what used to be called the Stoke-Mandeville games, which doesn't say an awful lot, is:

I found out about your 1989–91 medals from the website of the Order of Australia Association (South Australia Branch):