2012 Australian women's national goalball team

Laura Hale

Jul 15, 2012, 6:22:56 AM7/15/12
to ho...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I've created articles about all the members of the 2012 Australian women's national goalball team and their coach.  They can be found at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicole_Esdaile
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jennifer_Blow
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rachel_Henderson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelle_Rzepecki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meica_Christensen
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyan_Taylor
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgina_Kenaghan

They have all been nominated for DYK and all the players have been nominated for GAN. (The articles read as pretty complete.  They are well sourced.  They should pass WP:GNG.  I've gotten shorter past GAN.)  It would be really, really, really nice if we could get a headshot or some other picture of the players for their article.  If anyone wants to copyedit them or add additional information and sources to them, that would also be fantastic.  Any assistance appreciated. :)

--
twitter: purplepopple
blog: ozziesport.com

Ray and Vicki Epstein

Jul 15, 2012, 6:21:52 PM7/15/12
to ho...@googlegroups.com
Hi Laura,
Sporting Wheelies and Disabled Association has good individual action pics of some of the girls taken by a professional photographer at last year's state goalball championships. I'd need to follow up with the photographer to see if he's happy for the pics to be used for the HOPAU project. You can see the pics on the Association's photo gallery at:
http://www.sportingwheelies.org.au/gallery/goalball/2011-goalball-state-championships

Let me know if these are the sort of shots you're after, and I'll follow up with Nam. I'll also search for photos of Nicole and Meica.
Cheers,
Vicki
_______________________________

Ray and Vicki Epstein
89 Virginia Avenue
Hawthorne Qld 4171
Australia

Telephone: +61 7 3399 8945
Email: theep...@ozfolks.net

Laura Hale

Jul 15, 2012, 6:45:36 PM7/15/12
to ho...@googlegroups.com
Those would be awesome. :D

The goalball players should all pass GA by the end of the day, which would bring the total GAs up to 12. Pics just make articles look better. :)

--
mobile: 0412183663
twitter: purplepopple

greg....@bigpond.com

Jul 15, 2012, 6:59:29 PM7/15/12
to ho...@googlegroups.com

Hi Laura

I thought only Paralympic medallists could have a Wikipedia article created.  The exception was that athletes may have been notable in other areas.  There are many early Paralympians worthy on an entry but have not been included to date as they have not won medals.  An example is Cherrie Ireland.

Cheers

Greg

Laura Hale

Jul 15, 2012, 7:41:27 PM7/15/12
to ho...@googlegroups.com
The goalball players all have at least one newspaper each focusing on just them. They also have at least another four to ten newspaper mentions in the article. These newspaper references make them notable without the need for a medal. :)

Sincerely,
Laura Hale

greg....@bigpond.com

Jul 16, 2012, 1:27:21 AM7/16/12
to ho...@googlegroups.com

greg....@bigpond.com

Jul 16, 2012, 1:35:09 AM7/16/12
to ho...@googlegroups.com

Dear All

I’m now creating Wikipedia entries for Australian medallists that were previously missing.  Today I created –

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Mason

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cliff_Rickard

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Alp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Kubig

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Tapscott

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Marsh_(athlete)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Trewhella

Please update them  if you have additional information.

Cheers

Greg

Ray and Vicki Epstein

Jul 16, 2012, 7:32:05 PM7/16/12
to ho...@googlegroups.com
Hi Greg,
Do you have a list/table of all the Paralympic medallists that I can use to help organise my research efforts at this end? At the moment it's all a bit adhoc, so I'd like to try and use the list to be a bit more methodical in my approach when looking at the Sporting Wheelies archives of news clippings and photos.

I've alerted Peter Marsh to his new page. He has an oral historian friend who is keen to capture his story and add to the page, so that's helpful.
Thanks,
Vicki
_______________________________

Ray and Vicki Epstein
89 Virginia Avenue
Hawthorne Qld 4171
Australia

Telephone: +61 7 3399 8945
Email: theep...@ozfolks.net

greg....@bigpond.com

Jul 16, 2012, 11:14:19 PM7/16/12
to ho...@googlegroups.com

Hi Vicki

I thought I would reply to you email  through the group. There is no definitive list of Australian medallists. Any Australian medallist with a wikipedia entry can be found through the following categories.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Paralympic_gold_medalists_for_Australia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Paralympic_silver_medalists_for_Australia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Paralympic_bronze_medalists_for_Australia

There will be athletes appearing in both lists.

Another approach is through the sport - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Paralympic_athletes_of_Australia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Paralympic_swimmers_of_Australia – I’m not sure whether athletes have been categorised that well in this type of grouping.

My previous email re missing details highlights the only athletes we are chasing more details on. I’m working through this list.

Graham – may have some other advice – I know he produced a wikibook.

I also thought there may be a another category grouping that could be created  – Paralympians by state ie Paralympians from Queensland etc.  There is a general group called Sportspeople from Queensland

This would help manage the lists and be useful to state associations.

Cheers

Greg

Hi Greg,
Sorry - I meant the full list of Paralympic medallists that are being profiled as part of the project (not just the ones still outstanding that you're working on). I'm really only wanting to focus on the Queenslanders, but I'm happy to pick them out from the total list and concentrate on improving/adding to their entries with photos, finding extra references etc.

Not sure about Barry Kalms, but will see what I can find out.
Cheers,
Vicki

Ray and Vicki Epstein

Jul 17, 2012, 12:07:21 AM7/17/12
to ho...@googlegroups.com
Thanks very much Greg - I'll use the 3 medallist categories and your 'missing details' email to help me get organised.

The only issue I can see with attempting to group athletes by state is that some move inter-state during their career, so it may be hard to allocate a state depending on your definition. For example, there are Queensland-born Paralympians who started their sporting career in this state but have moved (for work, sport or other reasons) interstate and continued competing, so not sure how you would categorise them. The early athletes were probably a little less mobile, but there's still some instances where athletes such as Robert McIntyre started in one state and then moved and continued to compete in another. Once that issue was sorted, I agree it would be a very useful category grouping!

Cheers,
Vicki
_______________________________

Ray and Vicki Epstein
89 Virginia Avenue
Hawthorne Qld 4171
Australia

Telephone: +61 7 3399 8945
Email: theep...@ozfolks.net

Tony Naar

Jul 17, 2012, 4:19:08 AM7/17/12
to ho...@googlegroups.com

Vicki and Greg,

Kieran Courtney at the APC has been compiling a spreadsheet of every Australian Paralympic medallist, with all their medals, the events and the Games in which they were won. This has been a huge undertaking for Kieran, and he is still trying to track down a number of relay medallists, as well as to confirm other medallists on the list.

It is of great interest, as it is likely that Australia’s one thousandth medal will be won in London.

It would be really good if this list can be cross-referenced by members of this group who are working in that area. I will check with Kieran where it is at currently.

What do you think?

Regards,

TN

Tony Naar | General Manager, Knowledge Services

Australian Paralympic Committee | PO Box 596  Sydney Markets  NSW  2129

T +61 2 9704 0510 | M +61 418 684 108 E tony...@paralympic.org.au | W www.paralympic.org.au

We help Australians with disabilities participate in sport and compete at the Paralympic Games

through partnerships with governments, business, sporting bodies and the community.

cid:image006.jpg@01CCE4C2.BCFB35B0Facebook-icontwitter_logo.pngyoutube2.png

The information contained in this email message may be confidential or copyright information of the Australian Paralympic Committee Ltd (ABN 41 810 234 213; ACN 061 547 957).  If you are not the intended recipient, any use, interference with, disclosure or copying of this material is unauthorised and prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please delete it and notify me by reply.

greg....@bigpond.com

Jul 17, 2012, 6:55:50 AM7/17/12
to ho...@googlegroups.com
image001.jpg
image002.png
image003.png
image004.png

Graham Pearce

Jul 17, 2012, 7:43:36 AM7/17/12
to ho...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I didn't start the list of Australian Paralympic medallists. Laura started it and I've just been adding to it as I went along with my project ...

One more medalist we don't have an article about is Trish Flavel, Anton Flavel's wife. She won a bronze medal at the 2000 games.

Regards, Graham

greg....@bigpond.com

Jul 17, 2012, 7:03:02 PM7/17/12
to ho...@googlegroups.com

The Australian Paralympic Team has been finalised – with the naming of 7 athletics athletes - http://www.paralympic.org.au/news/paralympic-athletics-team-finalised

The Wikipedia site - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_at_the_2012_Summer_Paralympics - now includes all the athletes – 161 in 13 sports. I will add the coaches and officials when the Team Handbook has been published as it will be the cited source.

Greg

Tony Naar

Jul 17, 2012, 8:44:06 PM7/17/12
to ho...@googlegroups.com

That’s a great start, but I notice that there is still a long way to go to fill in all the details!

I guess that one way to complete it may be to use our list as a basis, and then cross-reference every medallist against the IPC database. That will get most of them, but will miss some relay swimmers and runners. We are starting to get those athletes now, and have other references for them. Greg has been doing some of this work, which is great.

If there is someone who is available to put the hours into this task, then I can forward to them the APC list.

[...]

Elizabeth Edmondson

Jul 17, 2012, 8:59:08 PM7/17/12
to ho...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tony

Would you like me to do it?

Cheers Elizabeth

On 18/07/2012, at 8:44 AM, "Tony Naar" <Tony...@paralympic.org.au> wrote:

[...]

robyn...@ausrapid.org.au

Jul 17, 2012, 8:51:35 PM7/17/12
to ho...@googlegroups.com
Hi

She was Trish Whittaker at the time of the games. I will check my files.

There were also some indigenous Paralympians in Sydney as well as Madrid, but not sure what you decided about recording info on Madrid 1992.

Robyn S
Sent from my BlackBerry® from Optus

From: Tony Naar <Tony...@paralympic.org.au>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 00:44:06 +0000

greg....@bigpond.com

Jul 17, 2012, 9:10:24 PM7/17/12
to ho...@googlegroups.com, robyn...@ausrapid.org.au

Hi All

I have just created Trish Flavel’s entry - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trish_Flavel

I been sitting on this for a while – I really wanted to locate a source that said that she was married to Anton – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_Flavel

Cheers

Greg

image001.jpg
image002.png
image003.png
image004.png

Tony Naar

Jul 17, 2012, 9:18:49 PM7/17/12
to ho...@googlegroups.com

Robyn,

Information about Team members from Madrid would be very useful! As you know, at present, the Madrid Games are not recognised as a Paralympic Games. However, it may be that this will change in the future, as those Games were conducted under the auspices of the IPC and – in our case – the Australian team was supported by the APC and wore the same uniforms as the Barcelona team. The story of the inclusion of athletes with an intellectual disability within the Paralympic movement is one which is very much still be written.

[...]

Tony Naar

Jul 17, 2012, 9:21:39 PM7/17/12
to ho...@googlegroups.com

Greg,

Good work - great article on Anton!

[...]

Tony Naar

Jul 17, 2012, 9:25:55 PM7/17/12
to ho...@googlegroups.com

Elizabeth,

That would be great! I will forward the APC list to you.

Your cross-checking will be REALLY valuable, as we are trying to finalise the exact number of medallists and medals won by Australian Paralympic athletes and the records are not always perfect. In fact, we are constantly following up with the IPC about discrepancies we find on its database. Not surprising, as they inherited limited information from many of the Games prior to 1992, so this process is helping them as well as us.

[...]

Elizabeth Edmondson

Chris Gould

Jul 17, 2012, 10:02:24 PM7/17/12
to ho...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tony and Elizabeth,

If this task is suitable for splitting, then I'd be happy to help Elizabeth with it.

Regards,

Chris.

greg....@bigpond.com

Jul 18, 2012, 3:40:26 AM7/18/12
to ho...@googlegroups.com

Dear All

Below is the latest list of medallists I have added to Wikipedia. Feedback welcome –

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracey_Lewis - beat Jon Sieben to win 1984 Queensland Sportsman of the Year

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Hill_(athlete) – awarded 1980 Young Australian of the Year

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Pointer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Thwaite  - It was his jewellery shop in Concord, New South Wales, that the first New South Wales Paraplegic Sports Club meeting was held

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Ross_(Australian_Paralympian)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trish_Flavel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Kirby_(athlete) – more information to be added after his ‘indigenous’ origins have been confirmed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Staddon_(swimmer)  - He became the first quadriplegic in Australia to gain an advanced open water diving certificate and a coxwain's certificate. [1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaime_Romaguera - changed first name to Jaime

Please update them  if you have additional information. You will have  a break from my contributions for  a few days.

Cheers

Greg