::HOPAU:: Johnno Johnston

greg....@bigpond.com

Nov 2, 2018, 9:01:01 PM11/2/18
to ho...@googlegroups.com

In doing some research I came across information on Johnno Johnston one of the early pioneers. I created an article - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Johnston_(physiotherapist)

I assume he has died. Our Western Australian colleagues may have more information.

Regards

Greg

Elizabeth Mills

Nov 2, 2018, 9:05:02 PM11/2/18
to ho...@googlegroups.com
Yes - many years ago Greg - I think the APC has copies from files that dr Bedbrook kept - include the minutes of the formation on the commonwealth games in Perth in 1962 - great reading

Hope you are well

Regards
Elizabeth

Regards
Elizabeth

Tony Naar

Nov 4, 2018, 9:03:04 PM11/4/18
to ho...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Greg for creating this article and Elizabeth for your comments. Johnno was one of the driving forces behind the establishment of Paralympic sport in Australia and I think the article is great!

The APC does indeed have a range of documents from the early years with Johnno’s name prominent and he is also mentioned in the oral history interviews.

We have a great ‘portrait’ photo of him that was donated by Bill Mather-Brown that I will try to get into Wikimedia Commons.

In addition, there are pics of him in Tokyo:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Xx1164_-_Ceeney_and_Edmondson_handshake_Tokyo_Games_-_3a_-_Scan.jpg

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Xx1164_-_Australian_athletes_at_athletics_Tokyo_Games_-_3a_-_Scan.jpg

Regards,

TN

Tony Naar

Facilitator

Australian Paralympic History Project

0418 684 108

tony...@gmail.com

History2 email signature #2

History sig #2

image001.jpg
image002.jpg

Elizabeth Mills

Nov 4, 2018, 9:09:09 PM11/4/18
to ho...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tony   That second photo is now available in colour!

There is also Johnno lifting me into wheelchair

I remember sitting in the back seat of the car with Dr Bedbrook driving and Johnno sitting next to him leaning out the window - pushing cyclists out of the way!

Cheers Elizabeth

On 5 Nov 2018, at 10:02 am, Tony Naar <tony...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

<image001.jpg>

<image002.jpg>

greg....@bigpond.com

Nov 4, 2018, 10:19:10 PM11/4/18
to ho...@googlegroups.com

I have added the images below to relevant wiki  pages of Bill Mather-Brown, Elizabeth Edmondson, Daphne Ceeney, Frank Ponta and John Allan Johnston.

Chees

Grdeg

Elizabeth Mills

Nov 4, 2018, 10:23:08 PM11/4/18
to ho...@googlegroups.com
Hi Greg

I will send you the colour version shortly -

Cheers Elizabeth

Elizabeth Mills

Nov 4, 2018, 10:52:16 PM11/4/18
to ho...@googlegroups.com
Hi Greg,

Here is the colour version
Regards
Elizabeth
7 Johnno,Frank, Elizabeth, Bill.jpg

Tony Naar

Nov 4, 2018, 11:05:56 PM11/4/18
to ho...@googlegroups.com

Elizabeth and Greg,

Can I suggest that you wait before uploading and using this?

I haven’t had the chance to add the metadata to the colour images that Elizabeth discovered and I think it is really important to do this so that each image will permanently carry with the relevant information associated with it.

I will try to get onto this, this afternoon and then upload them all to Wikimedia Commons for use in Wikipedia articles.

I hope that is OK?