DeepL Strikes Again...

Warren Smith

Jan 27, 2022, 12:34:34 PM1/27/22
to hon...@googlegroups.com

I have been using DeepL more frequently lately to provide hints for translations that are more idiomatically correct than my stilted, chokuyaku, legalistic bent.

Sometimes I am pretty impressed. Here is one that I have struggled with in the past: "十分に意味のあるアプローチ." DeepL seems to a have nailed it: "an approach that makes a lot of sense."

While in patents I don't like the tone of "a lot," I am quite happy with "an approach that makes sense."

While I still have very serious misgivings about the accuracy of DeepL's translations, and while I still find  use of DeepL in normal translation work to be much slower than straight translation, it seems to be a pretty useful tool for providing hints for idiomatic renderings when one becomes fixated on overly literal interpretations.