Re: Digest for honyaku@googlegroups.com - 1 update in 1 topic

Margaret Banin

Mar 15, 2022, 7:49:16 PM3/15/22
to hon...@googlegroups.com
RE: Hassle-free overseas payment method in 2022

Hi,

I've switched to Wise. It turns out some of my clients are already registered on it, which makes payment quick, easy, and low-fee. For those without Wise accounts, you can supply them with traditional banking details that will be assigned to you when you open an account with Wise. Thus, your clients can make payment in a way that is familiar for them through their regular bank and which will be deposited into your Wise account.

Margie Banin
Everett, WA

Dylan Luers Toda

Mar 16, 2022, 1:20:26 PM3/16/22
to Honyaku E<>J translation list
Dear Margie,

I'm interested in learning more about Wise. You wrote, "For those without Wise accounts, you can supply them with traditional banking details that will be assigned to you when you open an account with Wise." Looking at Wise's website, though, it doesn't seem like they provide a Japanese bank account option: https://wise.com/us/#coverage-bankdetails. Am I perhaps missing something?

Best,
Dylan

Margie Banin

Mar 17, 2022, 11:04:31 PM3/17/22
to Honyaku E<>J translation list
RE: Hassle-free overseas payment method in 2022

Hello Dylan,

You are correct. Sorry I wasn't more precise in my note yesterday.

I've found that several of my smaller clients either already use Wise or were willing to open an account, which meant that they could continue paying me in yen. It is possible to receive yen as a transfer between individuals with Wise accounts internally within Wise: your client transfers yen from their bank in Japan to their account with Wise. Then they make a "same currency transfer" to your Wise account; you just need to open a yen balance for your Wise account so you can receive funds in yen.

However, for clients without a Wise account or who are not interested in opening one just to pay me (in my experience, larger entities have fallen into this category), the banking details Wise provides have been useful for me even though they are for USD (or a choice of several other currencies, but not including JPY). My US bank account is with a credit union, which necessitates the use of an intermediary bank. And this format (use of an intermediary bank) has caused issues with several Japanese banks, at least initially, because my wiring details apparently don't fit the boxes on the forms used by them. So Wise's straightforward wiring details have made it easier for clients to set up wire transfers to me.

Best,
Margie Banin
Everett, WA

Kenji Watanabe