CHAT-GPT for research

Geoffrey Trousselot

Mar 7, 2023, 8:09:13 AM3/7/23
to Honyaku E<>J translation list
I was stuck on シエト工場 which was ironically a car seat factory owned by Faurecia bought by Toyota Boshoku in 2005. So after work and free from constraints such as not being allowed to turn to AI for information, I was curious to see if I could get Chat GPT to tell me what the name of the factory was before it was bought.

Chat GPT suggested it was the "Sièges et Intérieurs de l'Ouest"  factory.

I have no idea if it is a hallucination or not, but it did know that Faurecia was the owner without me mentioning it.

I could somehow imagine the katakana being an abbreviation of the Sie  and the et. But I can also imagine Chat GPT hallucinating it.

Geoffrey Trousselot

Herman

Mar 7, 2023, 8:34:29 AM3/7/23
to hon...@googlegroups.com
It is most likely a hallucination. The name of the factory was most
likely シエト (Sieto) before it was bought.

Herman Kahn

John Stroman

Mar 7, 2023, 8:45:09 AM3/7/23
to hon...@googlegroups.com
To support Homer's suggestion, see article entitled "Toyota Boshoku to Establish an Automotive Seating Company in France" at

John Stroman

Geoffrey Trousselot

Mar 7, 2023, 9:17:02 AM3/7/23
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the information. John and Herman. I think it must be Sieto. I don't understand the following link, but I am counting it as supporting evidence.