Mysterious vice

Stephen Robertson

Mar 29, 2022, 1:18:41 PM3/29/22
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I'm translating a text in which an elderly Buddhist (in Sri Lanka) is discussing the things that distract people in youth. I am wondering if anyone can help me with the third term in the following list:

「酒、果酒、迷羅那」

From the context I would guess that it means “intoxicants” (as in the fifth Thereavada Buddhist precept, “I undertake the training rule to abstain from liquors, wines, and other intoxicants, which are the basis for heedlessness"), but I cannot be sure. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks in advance,
Stephen

Kiyonori Sakurai

Mar 29, 2022, 1:41:48 PM3/29/22
to hon...@googlegroups.com
> 「酒、果酒、迷羅那」
I'm no expert, but could it be "迷羅耶"?

Kiyonori Sakurai

Stephen Robertson

Mar 29, 2022, 2:30:19 PM3/29/22
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Dear Kiyonori,

Thank you! The kanji was incorrect in the source document. With your hint, I see that the term is a transliteration of the word meraya (fermented drink) in the fifth precept.

Best,
Stephen