Kanji on WW2 era Japanese naval officer sword

Kevin Kirton

Mar 9, 2024, 4:43:32 AMMar 9
to honyaku
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lqe-MydFGdkEGt65-snwidW19PffC7q4/view?usp=drivesdk
Any ideas? I can only guess that it's actually Chinese or something?

Motohiro Kojima

Mar 9, 2024, 4:49:06 AMMar 9
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Kevin Kirton様

兼元?

FYI
https://www.touken-world.jp/search/30859/
|--
|You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Honyaku E<>J translation list" group.
|To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/honyaku/CANmm7qaj9Kh8Lw1GcoUyz8F_aMH9%2B2uzdR6jhL8VLy0qFYM38A%40mail.gmail.com.

2024.03.09 18:48:34
===================================
小島基弘 <mthr...@imoduru.net>

John Stroman

Mar 9, 2024, 5:11:53 AMMar 9
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Kevin,

To support Kojima-san's suggestion, if you look at Weblio under 兼元, the first listing of example sentences under "「兼元」の部分一致の例文検索結果" is 刀銘 兼元 which is glossed as "sword/inscription Kanemoto" with the source given as Wikipedia日英京都関連文書対訳コーパス

John Stroman
----------------

Kevin Kirton

Mar 9, 2024, 5:43:11 AMMar 9
to honyaku
I can see it now, thank you both very much.
I did not see it at all at first though. I tried both Japanese and Chinese dictionaries, drawing in what I saw, but it wasn't that.

Motohiro Kojima

Mar 9, 2024, 5:53:22 AMMar 9
to hon...@googlegroups.com

SHERYL HOGG

Mar 15, 2024, 12:24:21 AMMar 15
to hon...@googlegroups.com
This might be helpful: www.samuraisword.com/
Scroll down the page to the lineage chart in Japanese and English.

Sheryl Hogg