Finally! The solution for 相手 in contacts

Warren Smith

Apr 13, 2024, 11:14:19 PMApr 13
to Honyaku
I have always hated this word.

I heard a lawyer giving a speech today (in English) where he used the word "counterparty". Why have I not known this word before? This is the perfect solution for 相手 in contacts.  If it is not in dictionaries for 相手 it ought to be.

Bill Lise

Apr 18, 2024, 9:38:26 PMApr 18
to hon...@googlegroups.com
It's not just a solution for 相手 in contracts. I will get to use it when interpreting in Yokohama Family Court today.
It is not a term that I normally use in conversation, but it does come in handy.
Bill
リゼ ウィリアム
Bill Lise

On Sun, 14 Apr 2024 at 12:14, Warren Smith <Warren...@comcast.net> wrote:
I have always hated this word.

I heard a lawyer giving a speech today (in English) where he used the word "counterparty". Why have I not known this word before? This is the perfect solution for 相手 in contacts.  If it is not in dictionaries for 相手 it ought to be.

Sandra Ogata

Apr 18, 2024, 10:51:04 PMApr 18
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Hi All

A long-time lurker here.

> I heard a lawyer giving a speech today (in English) where he used the word "counterparty". Why have I not known this word before? This is the perfect solution for 相手 in contacts.  If it is not in dictionaries for 相手 it ought to be.

Just wondering if anyone has suggested this as an addition to the entry in WWWDIC? I'm not familiar with the process and am no longer full-time in translation (only small jobs from time to time). It would certainly be a handy addition to the existing entry.

IMHO,

Sandra Ogata
Tyalgum, NSW

On Sun, 14 Apr 2024 at 13:14, Warren Smith <Warren...@comcast.net> wrote:
I have always hated this word.

I heard a lawyer giving a speech today (in English) where he used the word "counterparty". Why have I not known this word before? This is the perfect solution for 相手 in contacts.  If it is not in dictionaries for 相手 it ought to be.

SOS Translations--For all your translation needs
Sandra Ogata
46 Ellington Street, Tarragindi, QLD, 4121
Australia
Tel: 61-7-3848-8595
Mob: 61-410-038-572
Email: shan...@gmail.com

Warren Smith

Apr 18, 2024, 11:09:28 PMApr 18
to hon...@googlegroups.com
That's Tom's project, right?

I will suggest it to him.

Warren Smith

Apr 18, 2024, 11:09:49 PMApr 18
to hon...@googlegroups.com
My mistake.  That is Jim's project.

Tom Gally

Apr 19, 2024, 7:34:54 AMApr 19
to hon...@googlegroups.com
The relevant dictionary I was most involved with was the fifth edition of Kenkyusha’s New Japanese-English Dictionary (known as the Green Goddess to the oldest of old-timers on this list). It has a long entry for 相手 with many examples, but none of them use counterparty.

I haven’t had much contact with Kenkyusha for a couple of years and I don’t know what their plans for updating the dictionary might be. In general, though, the market for dictionaries of all types—except, maybe, for beginning language learners—had already been shrinking quickly, and LLMs might mark the end of dictionaries as we have known them. As a long-time dictionary nerd, I have nothing to cheer about.

Earlier today, Meta released a couple of small but reportedly powerful open-weight models. Below are what the larger Meta LLM, as well as several closed-weight LLMs, output when I asked for translations of 相手 in legal contexts.

Tom Gally

Prompt

What are some possible English translations of the Japanese word 相手 in legal contexts, such as discussions of contracts?

Meta Llama 3 70B Instruct (via HuggingChat)

In legal contexts, such as discussions of contracts, the Japanese word 相手 (aida [sic!]) can have several possible English translations depending on the specific context and the relationship between the parties involved. Here are some common translations:

1. Counterparty: This is a common translation in contract law, where 相手 refers to the other party to a contract, agreement, or transaction.
2. Opposite party: This translation emphasizes the adversarial or opposing nature of the relationship between the parties, often used in disputes or litigation.
3. Adverse party: Similar to "opposite party," this translation highlights the conflicting interests or positions of the parties involved.
4. Other party: A more neutral translation, which simply refers to the party that is not the one being referred to (e.g., "we" or "our company").
5. Contracting party: This translation is specific to contract law, where 相手 refers to the party with whom a contract is entered into.
6. Counterpart: This translation is similar to "counterparty," but with a slightly different connotation, emphasizing the reciprocal nature of the relationship.
7. Opponent: In some cases, especially in disputes or litigation, 相手 can be translated as "opponent," highlighting the adversarial nature of the relationship.

It's worth noting that the translation of 相手 may vary depending on the specific context, the type of contract or agreement, and the industry or field in which it is used. In some cases, the translation may be more nuanced or require a deeper understanding of the legal concepts involved.

ChatGPT 4

The Japanese word "相手" (aite) in legal contexts, especially in discussions of contracts, can be translated into English in several ways depending on the specific usage and context. Here are some common translations:

Counterparty - This term is frequently used in legal and business contexts to refer to the other party involved in a contract or agreement.
Opponent - In contexts where there is a dispute or adversarial relationship, such as in litigation or negotiations, "opponent" might be a suitable translation.
Other party - A general term that can be used interchangeably with "counterparty" in discussions about contracts and agreements.
Respondent - In legal proceedings, especially in arbitration or lawsuits, "respondent" refers to the party who answers or responds to a petition or complaint.

Each of these translations reflects a different aspect of the relationship or role that "相手" might imply in a legal setting. Choosing the right term depends on the specific legal context in which the word is used.

Claude 3 Opus

In legal contexts, especially those involving contracts, the Japanese word 相手 (aite) is often translated into English as:

1. Party: This is the most common translation when referring to the entities involved in a contract or legal agreement. For example, "contracting parties" or "parties to the agreement."

2. Counterparty: This term is frequently used in financial and business law to refer to the other party involved in a transaction or contract.

3. Opponent: In legal disputes or litigation, 相手 may be translated as "opponent" to refer to the other side in a case.

4. Partner: Although less common in strictly legal contexts, "partner" may be used as a translation in discussions about business partnerships or joint ventures.

5. Other party: A more general translation that can be used in various legal situations to refer to the other entity involved in a legal relationship or interaction.

The most appropriate translation depends on the specific legal context and the nature of the relationship between the parties involved. In contract law, "party" and "counterparty" are the most frequently used translations for 相手.

Gemini 1.5 Pro

The Japanese word 相手 (aite) can have various translations in English depending on the specific context. Here are some possible translations in legal contexts, particularly regarding contracts:

Counterparty: This is the most common and direct translation, referring to the other party involved in a contract or legal agreement.

Other Party: A more general term encompassing anyone else involved in the legal matter.

Opposite Party: Often used in litigation contexts, referring to the opposing side in a lawsuit.

Second Party: Sometimes used in contracts when explicitly distinguishing between the two involved parties (e.g., "Party A" and "Party B").

Contracting Party: Specifically refers to a party involved in a contract.

Additional Considerations:

The specific choice of translation may depend on the type of contract and the surrounding text.

It is crucial to consider the nuances and ensure the chosen translation accurately reflects the intended meaning in the legal context.
I hope this information helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

JimBreen

Apr 19, 2024, 8:29:29 AMApr 19
to Honyaku E<>J translation list
I wondered about adding "counterparty" the other day when Bill raised it, but I never got a roundtuit.
I've now added it to the JMdict database, and it should show up in the usual places in a day or so.

Jim

li...@letstalktranslations.com

Apr 19, 2024, 9:08:39 AMApr 19
to hon...@googlegroups.com

On Behalf Of Tom Gally

  • The relevant dictionary I was most involved with was the fifth edition of Kenkyusha’s New Japanese-English Dictionary (known as the Green Goddess to the oldest of old-timers on this list). It has a long entry for 相手 with many examples, but none of them use counterparty.

I stopped using the red and green doorstops years ago, but have always paid my KOD subscription on time.

This is why:

リーダーズ+プラス

cóunterpàrt

n 《契約・商取引の》相手(), 取引先.