Missing from Apple’s announcements

Tom Gally

Jun 10, 2024, 8:52:51 PMJun 10
to hon...@googlegroups.com
As near as I can tell, in its announcements a few hours ago Apple said nothing about its upcoming “Apple Intelligence” features being used for translation or interpreting:

That omission is interesting because of the focus of their announcement on everyday consumer uses. If they thought their models were good enough for translating casual conversations, e-mails, and text messages, I think they would have mentioned it.

This is in contrast with OpenAI’s demo of live interpreting when they announced their (still unreleased) GPT-4o Voice last month:

Perhaps Apple’s upcoming on-device models will be too small for multilingual uses. The smaller open-weight models I’ve tried online have been useless for translation.

Tom Gally

cpta...@ozemail.com.au

Jun 26, 2024, 2:01:15 AM (8 days ago) Jun 26
to hon...@googlegroups.com

Dear Honyaku,

I already posted this on Facebook, so apologies for making you read it all the way to the end twice and then saying “Wait a minute, I just READ this!”

As some of you may know, we run a translation business based in Melbourne Australia but working throughout the galaxy.

For several years we have been coordinating the bureaucratic and translation needs of couples wishing to get married in Japan. There's quite a few!

Usually they go to Shinjuku City Hall. We know how they operate there and my local operative is in Tokyo.

But this time we have client booked to get married in Kyoto around the 5th of August.

We can do all the paperwork, but I am looking for someone who lives in or close to Kyoto who would be free for a day to assist during the ceremony and completion of the paperwork. If that's you, or someone you know, please contact me via our website and name your price.

https://pooletranslation.com.au/

Thank you!

Chris