Another good translation by DeepL

Warren Smith

May 9, 2023, 7:40:51 PM5/9/23
to hon...@googlegroups.com

話題性の高い商品

"High-profile product"

I would not have thought of that, but like the translation very much.

Herman

May 9, 2023, 10:13:59 PM5/9/23
to hon...@googlegroups.com
I think "trendy", "much/most talked-about" or the like would be
generally more suitable. "High-profile" seems to imply that the product
is important, significant, advanced or similar, which I don't think
話題性の高い implies at all.

Herman Kahn

Warren Smith

May 9, 2023, 10:54:55 PM5/9/23
to hon...@googlegroups.com
I am sure you are right (as you nearly always are!), in general, when it
comes to this term. In this particular case, however, "high-profile" works
very well.

This case is one wherein the respondent is asking the court to keep things
very quiet given how much attention any court case would attract, given how
much public interest (good or bad) there is in the product. "high-profile"
is just the ticket.

Tom Gally

May 11, 2023, 8:06:26 AM5/11/23
to hon...@googlegroups.com
I realized a few days ago that I can ask GPT-4 for suggestions when I can’t think of a good way to translate a phrase. Here is an exchange I had with it just now:

Me: What are ten ways to say 話題性の高い商品 in English?

GPT-4: "話題性の高い商品" in Japanese can be translated into English in various ways, each with slightly different nuances. Here are ten possible translations:

"Trending Product"
"Buzzworthy Item"
"Hot Topic Product"
"Talked-about Product"
"Viral Product"
"Popular Item"
"Much-discussed Product"
"Highly Mentioned Item"
"In-demand Product"
"Buzzed-about Merchandise"

Google announced yesterday that Bard can now do translation and is supposedly using a supposedly more powerful LLM than before, so I’ve spent the last couple of hours testing it. Here is its response to the same prompt:

Here are ten ways to say 話題性の高い商品 in English:

Trending product
Hot item
In-demand product
Buzzworthy product
Popular product
Top-selling product
Best-selling product
New product
Innovative product
Unique product

I hope this helps!

In the translation tests I’ve done so far, GPT-4 seems superior overall, though the new Bard is not terrible. Its translations from Japanese to English are better than those of Google Translate or DeepL, at least for the texts I tried.

In nontranslation tasks, such as summarizing short stories or holding back-and-forth conversation, GPT-4 is significantly better than the new Bard.

Tom Gally

cpta...@ozemail.com.au

May 14, 2023, 5:13:31 AM5/14/23
to hon...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

Firstly, here’s Herbert Marcuse on why AI is not a threat to us:

“…nobody really thinks who does not abstract that from which is given, who does not relate the facts to the factors which have made them, who does not -in his mind- undo the facts. Abstractness is the very life of thought, the token of its authenticity”.

It’s not Artificial Intelligence, it’s just artificially fast stupidity.

Anyway a client of mine has six people, fairly big spenders, who in Tokyo this week on business and want to fill 3.00 PM – 6.30 PM Thursday afternoon with a Japanese cultural experience. They are already doing Tsukiji that morning, and the Sumo is booked out, and they aren’t interested in any lessons in how to paint lanterns etc. They are coming from a low level of awareness (asking for “a tea ceremony with a Geisha” is that a thing?) Does anyone have any ideas?

This is paying work if you can help!

Thanks

Chris

John Burton

May 14, 2023, 5:20:43 AM5/14/23
to hon...@googlegroups.com, cpta...@ozemail.com.au
I suggest you look up some "things to do in Tokyo" videos on YouTube and see if you are inspired by anything.

Dan Lucas

May 14, 2023, 6:06:02 AM5/14/23
to Honyaku E<>J translation list
Chris, suggest you get in touch with Mac Salman at Maction Planet.
Great guy, and the reviews speak for themselves.

Facebook here;

Whether he can do anything given the short notice is a different matter.

Regards,
Dan Lucas

Jeff Slenker

Jeff Slenker

Eleanor Goldsmith, Kinsho Language Services

May 14, 2023, 11:52:50 PM5/14/23
to hon...@googlegroups.com
  • cpta...@ozemail.com.au wrote:
    They are coming from a low level of awareness (asking for “a tea ceremony with a Geisha” is that a thing?) Does anyone have any ideas?

If they’re specifically interested in a tea ceremony, then there are a few options here: https://www.tokyoweekender.com/art_and_culture/japanese-culture/tokyo-japanese-tea-ceremony/

And this one is actually billed as being hosted by a geisha: https://www.byfood.com/experiences/japanese-tea-ceremony-hosted-by-traditional-geisha-in-tokyo-472

If they were in Kyoto, I’d recommend Camellia Tea Ceremony: https://tea-kyoto.com/

HTH

Eleanor Goldsmith

Auckland, NZ

Tom Gally

May 16, 2023, 8:21:08 AM5/16/23
to hon...@googlegroups.com
I fed Chris’s question to that artificially stupid GPT-4. Here is its dumb response:

I can certainly suggest several cultural experiences that could fit into the given time frame and might be of interest to the group. It's important to remember that each experience's availability might depend on the specific date, so it would be best to confirm with the respective organizers or institutions.
    1. Private Tea Ceremony: While a tea ceremony with a geisha isn't typically offered, attending a private tea ceremony could still be a delightful experience. Tea ceremonies (Chado or Sado) are an integral part of Japanese culture, and there are many places in Tokyo where you can witness this traditional event. This could be followed by a visit to an izakaya or a traditional Japanese restaurant for dinner.
    2. Visit the Edo-Tokyo Museum: This museum showcases the history of Tokyo (known as Edo up until the 19th century) through various models and exhibits. It's a great place to learn about the evolution of Tokyo from a small castle town to a sprawling metropolis.
    3. Tour of Asakusa and Senso-ji Temple: Asakusa, with its bustling market streets and the famous Senso-ji Temple, is a place where you can experience traditional Tokyo. The Nakamise shopping street leading up to the temple is lined with small shops selling traditional Japanese snacks and souvenirs.
    4. Explore Odaiba: Odaiba is a modern part of Tokyo located on an artificial island in Tokyo Bay. It has a number of attractions like the teamLab Borderless digital art museum, Palette Town, a large shopping and entertainment complex, and stunning views of the Rainbow Bridge and Tokyo's skyline.
    5. Attend a Kabuki Show: Kabuki is a traditional Japanese form of theater with roots tracing back to the Edo Period. There are English-friendly kabuki shows available at Kabukiza Theatre in Ginza.
    6. Visit Akihabara: Known as the center of Japan's otaku (diehard fan) culture, Akihabara is a district in central Tokyo that is famous for its many electronics shops. In more recent years, Akihabara has gained recognition as the center of Japan's anime and manga culture.
Remember, given the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, some experiences might be limited or require advance booking, so please check the latest information. I hope this helps, and I wish the group an enjoyable time in Tokyo!

Tom Gally