Re: Digest for honyaku@googlegroups.com - 3 updates in 1 topic

Rich Look

Dec 29, 2022, 5:12:54 PM12/29/22
to Honyaku
Warren -

I clicked on the link you provided and it repeatedly takes me to a “Page Not Found” page on the University of New Hampshire Franklin Pierce School of Law website.

On Dec 29, 2022, at 6:00 AM, hon...@googlegroups.com wrote:

Joe Jones <j...@djjon.es>: Dec 28 09:20AM -0800

Just to contrast with some of the comments on patent translation, I work in
the corporate legal field (contracts, due diligence reports, litigation
materials) and that field is still very active and commands decent rates.
Some clients expressly forbid the use of MT or even translation memory
because they don't want excerpts of their sensitive documents (much less
the entire documents) floating around on third-party servers, and some
clients have specific style and usage preferences that off-the-shelf MT is
simply unable to consistently replicate, so I don't see the human touch
going away for this kind of work anytime soon. I believe there are vendors
trying to come up with secure MT/TM solutions for this kind of work, but
it's tricky to make it work well in practice.

Joe Jones
Jon Johanning <jjoha...@igc.org>: Dec 28 09:44AM -0800

@Joe Jones

"Tricky" is putting it mildly. I've been reading up on the subject of
"artificial intelligence" (or maybe it should be called "arty
intelligence") lately, and mostly what I see is experts in the field
pointing out how lousy it continues to be with anything having to do with
natural language tasks, despite the humorous chatbot samples we keep being
regaled with.

Computers wrestling with natural (i.e., human-produced) language have
certainly wiped lots of work we used to do in the good old days (can't
compete with free, instant "translations," no matter how good or bad they
are), because they can simulate the real stuff moderately well in some
respects, but we just have to search for consumers of translation who
recognize that if you want good furniture, don't go to Ikea.

Happy New Year, all!

Jon Johanning
zenn...@icloud.com
www.johanning-translations.com

On Wednesday, December 28, 2022 at 12:20:41 PM UTC-5 Joe Jones wrote:

"Warren Smith" <Warren...@Comcast.net>: Dec 28 03:03PM -0500

This matter of security with MT is (or at least should be!) a huge issue in
patent translation as well (especially when it comes to translation for
filing).

I address my article that was recently published in a legal journal. (If you
have not read it, I would hope that you would, as I am trying to use it to
educate clients about issues like this.)

https://law.unh.edu/sites/default/files/media/2022/06/smith_bernard_pp43-75-
sm.pdf

Unfortunately, this article has not generated as much traction (and
business!) as I had hoped it would.

Warren Smith

_____

Joe Jones: "Some clients expressly forbid the use of MT or even translation
memory because they don't want excerpts of their sensitive documents (much
less the entire documents) floating around on third-party servers..."

Eleanor Goldsmith, Kinsho Language Services

Dec 29, 2022, 5:40:45 PM12/29/22
to hon...@googlegroups.com

Rich Look wrote:

I clicked on the link you provided and it repeatedly takes me to a “Page Not Found” page on the University of New Hampshire Franklin Pierce School of Law website.

Hi Rich,

It looks from the reply thread that the link ended up broken into 2 lines, with the “sm.pdf” bit being effectively cut off from the hyperlink. Try pasting this URL in full into your browser

https://law.unh.edu/sites/default/files/media/2022/06/smith_bernard_pp43-75-sm.pdf

Eleanor Goldsmith

Auckland, NZ