Company name [Q]

timl...@aol.com

Apr 14, 2023, 8:39:00 AM4/14/23
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone know what 共に棟ソー is called in English? Tosoh seems logical but what about the "tomo ni"?

Regards and TIA
Tim Leeney

John Stroman

Apr 14, 2023, 8:46:08 AM4/14/23
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Tim,
Can you provide more context? Normally, 共に is a connector that means "together with" or "in cooperation/conjunction with"
John Stroman

timl...@aol.com

Apr 14, 2023, 8:55:05 AM4/14/23
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Context is an enumeration of finely powdered silica brands, hence

. . . (登録商標)(共に棟ソー)

So in the light of your suggestion, maybe it means (jointly with Tosho).

Regards and thanks
Tim Leeney

timl...@aol.com

Apr 14, 2023, 9:00:05 AM4/14/23
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Tosoh of course, not Tosho (!)

John Stroman

Apr 14, 2023, 9:30:21 AM4/14/23
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Tim,
If Tosoh is at the end of the enumeration, then it probably means something like "along with" to suggest that Tosoh is the major player, but there are others which were enumerated previously. Depending on your context, it may be OK to simply omit 共に to make the English read better (unless the customer expects a literal translation).
John
----------------

Herman

Apr 14, 2023, 10:11:27 AM4/14/23
to hon...@googlegroups.com
On 4/14/23 05:55, timleeney via Honyaku E<>J translation list wrote:
> Context is an enumeration of finely powdered silica brands, hence
>
> . . . (登録商標)(共に棟ソー)
>
> So in the light of your suggestion, maybe it means (jointly with Tosho).

Presumably it would mean that both (all) are made by Tosoh.

Herman Kahn

John Stroman

Apr 14, 2023, 10:53:47 AM4/14/23
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Herman,
I agree. It should be easy to verify by tracking down the other enumerated items to see who makes them.
John Stroman

timl...@aol.com

Apr 14, 2023, 11:07:19 AM4/14/23
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Looking again at the context, it seems to refer just to the two products named immediately before the parenthesis, so "both" probably works best.

Tim

> Does anyone know what 共に棟ソー is called in English? Tosoh seems logical but what about the "tomo ni"?
> Regards and TIATim Leeney

timl...@aol.com

Apr 15, 2023, 4:48:30 AM4/15/23
to hon...@googlegroups.com
John and Herman,

Thankyou again for your help. The list also contained other items made by other firms, but there were two made by Tosoh. Job now completed and sent to client.

Regards
Tim

On Fri, 14 Apr 2023 15:07:15 +0000 (UTC)
timleeney via Honyaku E<>J translation list様 wrote:
|Looking again at the context, it seems to refer just to the two
|products named immediately before the parenthesis, so "both" probably
|works best.
|Tim

2023.04.16 00:42:53
小島基弘 <mthr...@imoduru.net>